Carrara Challenge #60 - Go - (get it? 60? Go? sorry...) - WIP Thread

Comments

• UnifiedBrainUnifiedBrain Posts: 3,588
    edited December 2021

A Bad Day For All Wicked Step-Sisters

Our modern CinderBabe goes to the ball, dunks on her cruel siblings, and stimulates the Princely passions.smiley

This render started with trying out a freebie from Daz a week or so ago, one I probably would have never bought.  But, it was better than I expected.

CinderBabe is G2F.  The Fairy Godmother is Mabel 8.  Gotta say, I'm enjoying using G3 and G8 characters in Carrara - great skin maps, and no morphs to clog things up!

The car is a kit bash.  The car part is actually a Carrara product that I had never opened, as the product page didn't impress me.  Another pleasant surprise.

M3 and V3 make a cameo.  The environment is mostly HDR.  The Tweaking tools were Carrara aura, Carrara blur, Carrara particles, and the indespensible GMIC plugin.

No postwork.

A Bad Day For All Wicked Step-Sisters.png
    1800 x 1224 - 4M
    A Bad Day Carrara setup.JPG
    1635 x 1072 - 315K
    Post edited by UnifiedBrain on
  • DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,026

Looking excellent, UB.  Love the sparklies!  In this case, what did you use for the Genesis 3/8 characters in Carrara?  Did you use Misty's preset?  Or did you use another file format like collada or similar?

• Thanks Diomede. 

By the time I wanted to buy Misty's presets, she had pulled them from her store.  But as they say, when one door closes, another opens.  Saving G3 and G8 as blended/collada works great for me.  The characters pose easily, and the textures and normal maps are nice.  If I want a morph, I can do it first in D/S, or I can make many or them myself in the Carrara modeling room.  Honestly, G3 and G8 are kind of like using V3 - very small load in Carrara (no morph bloat) and they render fast.

edited December 2021

Good reminder.  I had experimented with collada a few times before Misty came out with her presets, but once I had those, there was no need for further experimentation.  Here is a tip for people who like modeling custom stuff for the Daz characters.  You can use Misty's presets (and probably collada) to load the base figure in Carrara, then use the EDIT : CONVERT menu to convert from a vertex model to a primitive.  Save the primitive without the rigging to get a low weight reference dummy.

Deadline December 5th Approaches.

December 5th is a big day for Americans.  It is the anniversary of the ratification of the REPEAL of alcohol prohibition in the United States.  18th Amendment enacted prohibition and 21st repealed it.  There is a monument in DC in favor of Prohibition (also known as Temperance).  For many years, on December 5th I would go to the sports bar across from the Temperance Fountain and have a toast. 

Temperance, I will drink to that!

I think I may have to conjure a quick related entry in honor of December 5th.

For people curious about the monument.  SileneUK knows the fountain, but may not know the related trivia. 

https://www.dcdesigntours.com/single-post/weird-memorials-of-washington-temperance-fountain

m

EDIT: My post is a bit overstated (as in very overstated).  Most Americans are completely unaware that December 5th marks the ratification of the repeal of Prohibition.

Post edited by Diomede on
    edited December 2021

I am GOING back to see where I am on a few projects.  Here is the current state of the teen love (GOING to the Prom) effort.  Used the vintage figures Victoria 3 and David 3.  Replaced my placeholder cubes with a heart shaped box of candy and some flowers.

Would you GO to the.jpg
    1600 x 2133 - 517K
    edited December 2021

Go, Johnny Go, Go.  Johnny be good.

Need to get Chuck Berry a background, but I will render that out separately and use the background pass to fit together.  Here is Genesis 1 with ttweaked Benjamin shaders, and Rievel Hair.  The mustache is Carrara hair.

00 Chuck Berry compite 1 jpg.jpg
    1600 x 1200 - 156K
    chuck berry 01.jpg
    1509 x 886 - 223K
    Chuck Berry 03_Background.png
    1600 x 1200 - 61K

And here are some reference photos of the master, Mr. Chuck Berry.

chuck photo 3.jpg
    670 x 550 - 59K
    chuck photo.jpg
    521 x 706 - 71K
    chuck photo 2.jpg
    541 x 732 - 137K
  • Diomede said:

I am GOING back to see where I am on a few projects.  Here is the current state of the teen love (GOING to the Prom) effort.  Used the vintage figures Victoria 3 and David 3.  Replaced my placeholder cubes with a heart shaped box of candy and some flowers.

Close to perfection, and great use of old characters.  My only quibble is David's left hand.  It took me a few seconds to realize what he was holding/releasing.  A flower wrap is hard to convey.  The bare flowers and stems - a little brighter - would probably be enough.

edited December 2021

Thanks UB.  In the middle of Chuck right now but may revisit the Prom as per your suggestion if I get time.  Scene Setup also attached

Instead of rendering out a seprate background I took a simple path of inserting some primitives and some text objects.  Here is a Chuck Berry album cover.  Composited with a Filter Forge Grunge Filter to try to age it.

Chuck Berry Cover Entry.jpg
    1201 x 1200 - 757K
    zz01 entry setup.jpg
    1592 x 977 - 175K

OK, I have one slot for myself and three underdeveloped ideas.  I have the bicycle model that represented new freedom to GO for late 19th/early 20th century women.  I have the landscape model for the world heritage site for an indigenous American village that I have been interested in lately.  And I have my own quirky interest in December 5th being both the deadline and the anniversary of ending Prohibition.  I am GOING to take a break and do some weekend chores, then decide whether to resume one of those, or fix the prom project.

---

I am assuming the pace of this challenge is satisfactory.  Does anyone want or need more time?  If so, let me know with a post or a messge.

As of this post, there are about 36 hours remaining.  

edited December 2021

Chores done.

Update of the Prom project.  Ouch!  I didn't do an intermediate save for the flowers with the hand behind.  The hand was blocked by cubes before.  So, I either need to do a bigger update than I planned or do dome postwork.  I decided to take the old entry, insert it in the background, and render a new flower group over it with shadow catchers.  Hopefully, the darker color should make it less distracting.

ReEntry Will You Go the Prom.jpg
    1600 x 2133 - 511K
    edited December 2021

Just for your listening enjoyment, Chuck Berry - No particular place to go.  Click to play.

• HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,921

UnifiedBrain said:

Our modern CinderBabe goes to the ball, dunks on her cruel siblings, and stimulates the Princely passions.smiley

This render started with trying out a freebie from Daz a week or so ago, one I probably would have never bought.  But, it was better than I expected.

CinderBabe is G2F.  The Fairy Godmother is Mabel 8.  Gotta say, I'm enjoying using G3 and G8 characters in Carrara - great skin maps, and no morphs to clog things up!

The car is a kit bash.  The car part is actually a Carrara product that I had never opened, as the product page didn't impress me.  Another pleasant surprise.

M3 and V3 make a cameo.  The environment is mostly HDR.  The Tweaking tools were Carrara aura, Carrara blur, Carrara particles, and the indespensible GMIC plugin.

No postwork.

That's just a WOW. Always amazed at your ability to make Carrara renders shine straight of the box.

Thanks for the headsup on the methodology too

edited December 2021

Diomede said:

Chores done.

Update of the Prom project.  Ouch!  I didn't do an intermediate save for the flowers with the hand behind.  The hand was blocked by cubes before.  So, I either need to do a bigger update than I planned or do dome postwork.  I decided to take the old entry, insert it in the background, and render a new flower group over it with shadow catchers.  Hopefully, the darker color should make it less distracting.

Superb Diomede. Reminds me of an excellent 1950's illustration. Great movement and the composition  zings.

Post edited by Headwax on

Diomede said:

Thanks UB.  In the middle of Chuck right now but may revisit the Prom as per your suggestion if I get time.  Scene Setup also attached

Instead of rendering out a seprate background I took a simple path of inserting some primitives and some text objects.  Here is a Chuck Berry album cover.  Composited with a Filter Forge Grunge Filter to try to age it.

Chuck Berry never looked so good. You have the look just right for that era - grunge is good

Just checked the entry thread. Amazing work so far

• Thank you for the comment on Cinderbabe, HW.  Much appreciated.

edited December 2021

Ready, Set, Go!

A classic for my final entry.  I used a similar workflow to get the terrain as I did for the dog walker WIP.  Difference is that I used the 3D paint tool on a duplicate terrain to get the opacity mask for the trail.  Simple stuff, the rabbit and the pig are from Daz legacy fairytale characters.  The turtle is from RuntimeDNA, whom Daz bought out.  I put together the banner and a few other minor details.

rabbit tortoise setup.jpg
    1834 x 994 - 283K
    FF Vibrance.jpg
    1600 x 1200 - 1M

Steve K said:

The title is "Go West, Young Man", in this case along the famous US Route 66, "the nation's first all-weather highway linking Chicago to Los Angeles ... in 1985, Route 66 was officially decommissioned.".  In its heyday, 1926 to 1985, it was the Yellow Brick Road for US drivers.  This scene is set in the 1950's.

WIP and Final attached.  The background image was done in VUE using a great purchased scene from Luigi Marini ("RaffyRaffy") who has disappeared AFAIK.  The Carrara part is pretty simple, some vehicles and characters placed on a plane set up as a shadow catcher.  The final has some Photoshop work to cover up some overly repeating ground and road textures.

Just a reminder.

ed3D said:

~  And  then .

Just a reminder.

edited December 2021

mschack said:

And do not collect $200

Just a reminder

UnifiedBrain said:

Just a reminder

• Steve KSteve K Posts: 3,179

Diomede said:

Steve K said:

The title is "Go West, Young Man"

Just a reminder.

Thanks, but I've gotten sidetracked onto another project.  Looks like some good entries, though.

Steve K said:

Diomede said:

Steve K said:

The title is "Go West, Young Man"

Just a reminder.

Thanks, but I've gotten sidetracked onto another project.  Looks like some good entries, though.

I always love your projects.  yes

• StezzaStezza Posts: 7,757

Diomede said:

Ready, Set, Go!

A classic for my final entry.  I used a similar workflow to get the terrain as I did for the dog walker WIP.  Difference is that I used the 3D paint tool on a duplicate terrain to get the opacity mask for the trail.  Simple stuff, the rabbit and the pig are from Daz legacy fairytale characters.  The turtle is from RuntimeDNA, whom Daz bought out.  I put together the banner and a few other minor details.

I'm backing the rabbit... it's gotta win at least once! laugh

Diomede said:

I love this .. heart

great render yes 

UnifiedBrain said:

No postwork.

nice work as usual UB... great ball rendering skills  yes

Stezza said:

Diomede said:

Well, I made it from Little Rock to Dallas without incident, and the internet here is allowing me and my laptop access.  All is GOING according to schedule.

can you get a photo of the grassy knoll and the Texas School Book Depository building? enlightened

no photos crying 

Headwax said:

sorry to be missing in inaction :)

Here's a go kart I modelled . Simple and banged up like me... :)

was always hard trying to get someone to push .. unless you lived on a hill 

great stuff  wink 

• Thank you Stezza. :)

Diomede, my time to play with Carrara these days is sporadic.  I ended up redoing some lighting on the first three renders.  Still not completely satisfied, but good enough.