Error projecting skin binding during transfer operation

I have fallen victim to an upgrade to Daz 4.12. What used to work perfectly in 4.8, does not work any more.

I have a couple of 3rd party items that are supposed to conform to geo-grafts. After the upgrade, they stopped working. I checked the log messages for one of the items. There was a bunch of errors including a wrong vertex count error. The number of vertices in the .dsf file and the UV file was slightly different but it was not a problem in the old, vastly superior version of DAZ. I adjusted the number of vertices manually in the .duf file which finally allowed the item to appear instead of the silly grey cubes. But it's been rendered useless because a) It does not conform any more b) Morphs do not work.

I get a bunch of errors when loading the item. Firstly, it says "could not resolve <.dsf file name>". Which is rubbish as it reads at least some of the information from the .dsf file successfully. Secondly, there is an "Error projecting skin binding during transfer operation". It does not look like it has been mentioned here on the forums. Might be yet another red herring.

Fortunately, I should still have a copy of the old version of DAZ as it looks like the only option is to downgrade. If someone has a better idea, please let me know.

Comments

• 4.12.x.x is hardly a new version. Morphs depend on vertex counts too, so changing the vertex count will break them. I can't recall, at this distance, what changes to GeoGrafting were introduced when.

• n.jmurov said:

I have fallen victim to an upgrade to Daz 4.12. What used to work perfectly in 4.8, does not work any more.

I have a couple of 3rd party items that are supposed to conform to geo-grafts. After the upgrade, they stopped working. I checked the log messages for one of the items. There was a bunch of errors including a wrong vertex count error. The number of vertices in the .dsf file and the UV file was slightly different but it was not a problem in the old, vastly superior version of DAZ. I adjusted the number of vertices manually in the .duf file which finally allowed the item to appear instead of the silly grey cubes. But it's been rendered useless because a) It does not conform any more b) Morphs do not work.

I get a bunch of errors when loading the item. Firstly, it says "could not resolve <.dsf file name>". Which is rubbish as it reads at least some of the information from the .dsf file successfully. Secondly, there is an "Error projecting skin binding during transfer operation". It does not look like it has been mentioned here on the forums. Might be yet another red herring.

Fortunately, I should still have a copy of the old version of DAZ as it looks like the only option is to downgrade. If someone has a better idea, please let me know.

Clarify: what is not working - the 3rd party items or the geografts? If the geografts are not working are they also 3rd party items or were they purchased at Daz3D?

Ideas: update to the most recent D/S [4.16] download fresh installers and reinstall the figures, the geografts and from the 3rd party material as well.
    Do not make a habit out of editing files in the data folder.

With the newly installed products, make sure that the "pointer" tool is selected, not the geometry editing tool for eg. No geograft works when a certain couple of tools are selected.

As to loading products that produce those funny boxes, be sure that the viewport viewing setting is set to something Texture Shaded, not bounding boxes.
    If boxes are appearing in all views, then it is the data file that is missing. Hence the suggestion to redownload and reinstall all the products that were tampered with.
    It is not recommended to be editing the files in the data folder. The program makes those, they are working files.

After testing in the new D/S, if there is still a problem, on the top bar of the program is the word Help. Under there somewhere is mention made of a log file. Empty the scene. Open the log file. Select all and delete the information. Save it. Close it. Reload the scene with the products and try again. If again it is still not working, then open the log file, select all and COPY that to PASTE it into a text file. Attach the text file to your next post. And then maybe somebody can help identify the problem.

• Not sure if it's specific to geografts. My guess is that in 4.8 it was OK for a conforming item to have a vertex count different to the main item but then it was changed for some reason so that some items got broken. 

Is it generally allowed, in the newer versions, to have items conforming to geografts?

• Catherine3678abCatherine3678ab Posts: 7,991
    edited November 2021

n.jmurov said:

Not sure if it's specific to geografts. My guess is that in 4.8 it was OK for a conforming item to have a vertex count different to the main item but then it was changed for some reason so that some items got broken. 

Is it generally allowed, in the newer versions, to have items conforming to geografts?

You spoke of the morphs being broken [b) Morphs do not work.] ... in the making of morphs the vertex count cannot be changed, that's always been that way.

Of course any clothing item or geograft can have different vertex counts than the figure, they have to.

It was quite a long time back that some change was made that affected some geografts but it was figured out how to fix them and make them stay good again. Like I said though, you have to have the right tool selected because they will never be attached if using the content creator tools.

Is it allowed - in [any] version - to have items conforming to geografts: Well I'll put it this way, nobody is stopping you from trying. Given that most geografts are things like horns and tails, might be a lot easier just to make props and parent them to the main figure.

Post edited by Catherine3678ab on
  • n.jmurov said:

Not sure if it's specific to geografts. My guess is that in 4.8 it was OK for a conforming item to have a vertex count different to the main item but then it was changed for some reason so that some items got broken. 

You spoke of the morphs being broken [b) Morphs do not work.] ... in the making of morphs the vertex count cannot be changed, that's always been that way.

Of course any clothing item or geograft can have different vertex counts than the figure, they have to.

It was quite a long time back that some change was made that affected some geografts but it was figured out how to fix them and make them stay good again. Like I said though, you have to have the right tool selected because they will never be attached if using the content creator tools.

Is it allowed - in [any] version - to have items conforming to geografts: Well I'll put it this way, nobody is stopping you from trying. Given that most geografts are things like horns and tails, might be a lot easier just to make props and parent them to the main figure.

Thanks for your reply but no, these items won't work as props as they have complex geometries and need to conform to the geografts.