Morph saving fails.

lukon100lukon100 Posts: 752

Now I get error message saying my attempt to save a morph has failed.

The morp(s) do work fine. I just can't save them.

Log file:

2021-12-23 20:07:21.824 Geometry Imported: Bend Up-Down.obj
2021-12-23 20:07:21.824 Creating morph for Bridge, V1...
2021-12-23 20:07:21.824 Morph contains 158 deltas
2021-12-23 20:08:12.026 Saved image: E:\Luke\Luke Art\Computer3D\Daz Studio\Projects\Bridge.duf.png
2021-12-23 20:08:52.789 WARNING: ..\..\..\..\..\src\sdksource\fileoutput\dzassetoutfile.cpp(611): Failed to create file path.
2021-12-23 20:08:52.789 WARNING: ..\..\..\..\..\src\pluginsource\DzAssetIOFilters\dzmorphsupportassetfilter.cpp(935): Failed to write Morph Asset(s).
2021-12-23 20:09:00.617 Failed to save Morph Asset(s). See the log for more details.

It's Studio 4.11 pro

Post edited by lukon100 on

Comments

• lukon100 said:

Now I get error message saying my attempt to save a morph has failed.

The morp(s) do work fine. I just can't save them.

Log file:

2021-12-23 20:08:12.026 Saved image: E:\Luke\Luke Art\Computer3D\Daz Studio\Projects\Bridge.duf.png
    2021-12-23 20:08:52.789 WARNING: ..\..\..\..\..\src\sdksource\fileoutput\dzassetoutfile.cpp(611): Failed to create file path.
    2021-12-23 20:08:52.789 WARNING: ..\..\..\..\..\src\pluginsource\DzAssetIOFilters\dzmorphsupportassetfilter.cpp(935): Failed to write Morph Asset(s).
    2021-12-23 20:09:00.617 Failed to save Morph Asset(s). See the log for more details.

It's Studio 4.11 pro

Before you save the morphs, you have to save the product.

• lukon100lukon100 Posts: 752
    edited December 2021

Thanks, Catherine3678ab.

Your answer may be the real fix for my problem. But I can't really tell yet, as my frustration with the situation has drivien me to postpone working on the project (again).

But it seems to me like the problem was beyond the fix of saving the model as a "figure prop asset" bacause I was pretty sure I had done that already.

In one isntance of my morph-saving problem, the problem seemed to be that I was changing the name of the morph before saving it, thus making my saved morph name different from the exact name of the morph geometry file. That seemed to screw things up. So I tried again without changing the name and it worked.

But there were other times it failed to save my morph when I did not change the name at all. Sometimes I suspected it had to do with the fact that I was revising the morph, that is, over-writing the older version of it.

Then it started to fail to save my keyed IRC of two morphs together. That was the last straw. I abandoned the project untill I feel like fighting with it again.

• lukon100 said:

Thanks, Catherine3678ab.

Your answer may be the real fix for my problem. But I can't really tell yet, as my frustration with the situation has drivien me to postpone working on the project (again).

But it seems to me like the problem was beyond the fix of saving the model as a "figure prop asset" bacause I was pretty sure I had done that already.

In one isntance of my morph-saving problem, the problem seemed to be that I was changing the name of the morph before saving it, thus making my saved morph name different from the exact name of the morph geometry file. That seemed to screw things up. So I tried again without changing the name and it worked.

But there were other times it failed to save my morph when I did not change the name at all. Sometimes I suspected it had to do with the fact that I was revising the morph, that is, over-writing the older version of it.

Then it started to fail to save my keyed IRC of two morphs together. That was the last straw. I abandoned the project untill I feel like fighting with it again.

This all may or not help:

? "keyed IRC of two morphs together" ? If you are referring to making one control the other, they then both need to be saved again to the EXACT same place/name/etc. as before.

One has model saved as figure/prop.
    One sends .obj to modeler to be morphed. The name of the morphed .obj must be the same as the original figure/prop. {at least it does if bringing it back in via Hexagon} {if using MeshGrabber or other plugins to move around the mesh, then export out an .obj {base resolution, no groups} to bring back in via Morpher Loader Pro/Advanced}.
    Name the morph giving it a unique name. {mandatory}
    Dial in the morph, if like it, zero it and save it.

Then if have 2 or more morphs that you want to physically make into one morph, dial them in as much as you want them to be, export out an .obj file {no groups}. Zero the figure/prop, using morpher loader pro/advanced bring in that combined morph to make a brand new morph with a unique name. Dial it in, if like it, zero it and save the morph.

Then with D/S closed, you can go into the data folders bearing your name and find the morphs you no longer need in the folders you saved them to.
    Delete them. Open D/S, load your product, check that only the desired morphs remain.

The product and morphs are expected [by the program] to be saved into the main Library OR Content folder in which all the other products are saved to.

My Library > Props > Luke > whatever subfolders you want
    In saving to such a location, the data folder would be:
    My Library > data > Luke > whatever subfolders you told it to use/make when saving the figure/prop. > Morphs > Base > Luke > whatever subfolder you made when saving, bingo!

edited December 2021

Catherine3678ab said:

lukon100 said:

Thanks, Catherine3678ab.

? "keyed IRC of two morphs together" ? If you are referring to making one control the other, they then both need to be saved again to the EXACT same place/name/etc. as before.

One sends .obj to modeler to be morphed. The name of the morphed .obj must be the same as the original figure/prop. {at least it does if bringing it back in via Hexagon} {if using MeshGrabber or other plugins to move around the mesh, then export out an .obj {base resolution, no groups} to bring back in via Morpher Loader Pro/Advanced}.

Then if have 2 or more morphs that you want to physically make into one morph, dial them in as much as you want them to be, export out an .obj file {no groups}. Zero the figure/prop, using morpher loader pro/advanced bring in that combined morph to make a brand new morph with a unique name. Dial it in, if like it, zero it and save the morph.

Then with D/S closed, you can go into the data folders bearing your name and find the morphs you no longer need in the folders you saved them to.
    Delete them. Open D/S, load your product, check that only the desired morphs remain.

The product and morphs are expected [by the program] to be saved into the main Library OR Content folder in which all the other products are saved to.

My Library > data > Luke > whatever subfolders you told it to use/make when saving the figure/prop. > Morphs > Base > Luke > whatever subfolder you made when saving, bingo!

Thanks again, Catherine.

Before I return to my project and try to figure it out again, I have 2 questions for you.

1. I suspect part of my problem may have been that I was revising the morphs (as I was experimenting to see what might work), and that there is a strict procedure for revising morphs properly that I did not follow. Maybe Daz did not save my morphs because they had the same name or other same properties of the older version of the morphs that I was trying to replace. Perhaps I need to properly delete the older versions of the morphs and re-boot Daz and do a special dance to worship the gods of digital figure morphing.

Is my suspecion correct?

2. You say: "...if have 2 or more morphs that you want to physically make into one morph, dial them in as much as you want them to be, export out an .obj file {no groups}. Zero the figure/prop, using morpher loader pro/advanced bring in that combined morph to make a brand new morph with a unique name. Dial it in, if like it, zero it and save the morph."

I don't understand how this would work with 2 morphs that must be at different slider control values. My 2 morphs do not operate synchronously. The change in my model that I'm trying to produce requires both morphs, but they each must start and finish at different times during the overall change. Like, MORPH 1 kicks in from 0% to 25% of the change, at which point MORPH 2 kicks in, and they both continue until 75% where MORPH 2 has reached it's maximum and stops, and then MORPH 1 continues out to 100%. This is why they must be combined by means of a keyed controller that controls them both.

I get the impression this is just like JCM's are supposed to work. And if so, people are doing this regularly with no problem.

And in fact, I was doing it with no problem until I discovered that Daz would not save the keys I made in my controller. The keyed controller did work perfectly. But when I saved it, closed the file and re-opened it, the controller was still present, but the keyed links to the morphs it was suppoed to control were gone from the controller.

Given this situation, can you explain how I might otherwise unify these morphs in a keyed way? or, is this problem also based in the failure to properly delete my older morphs?

• lukon100 said:

Catherine3678ab said:

lukon100 said:

Thanks, Catherine3678ab.

Thanks again, Catherine.

Before I return to my project and try to figure it out again, I have 2 questions for you.

1. I suspect part of my problem may have been that I was revising the morphs (as I was experimenting to see what might work), and that there is a strict procedure for revising morphs properly that I did not follow. Maybe Daz did not save my morphs because they had the same name or other same properties of the older version of the morphs that I was trying to replace. Perhaps I need to properly delete the older versions of the morphs and re-boot Daz and do a special dance to worship the gods of digital figure morphing.

Is my suspecion correct?

2. You say: "...if have 2 or more morphs that you want to physically make into one morph, dial them in as much as you want them to be, export out an .obj file {no groups}. Zero the figure/prop, using morpher loader pro/advanced bring in that combined morph to make a brand new morph with a unique name. Dial it in, if like it, zero it and save the morph."

I don't understand how this would work with 2 morphs that must be at different slider control values. My 2 morphs do not operate synchronously. The change in my model that I'm trying to produce requires both morphs, but they each must start and finish at different times during the overall change. Like, MORPH 1 kicks in from 0% to 25% of the change, at which point MORPH 2 kicks in, and they both continue until 75% where MORPH 2 has reached it's maximum and stops, and then MORPH 1 continues out to 100%. This is why they must be combined by means of a keyed controller that controls them both.

I get the impression this is just like JCM's are supposed to work. And if so, people are doing this regularly with no problem.

And in fact, I was doing it with no problem until I discovered that Daz would not save the keys I made in my controller. The keyed controller did work perfectly. But when I saved it, closed the file and re-opened it, the controller was still present, but the keyed links to the morphs it was suppoed to control were gone from the controller.

Given this situation, can you explain how I might otherwise unify these morphs in a keyed way? or, is this problem also based in the failure to properly delete my older morphs?

I'll get back to this later, it's pretty late right now but wanted to mention, no, you do not have to worship any gods of anything to use D/S ;-)

Catherine3678ab said:

lukon100 said:

Catherine3678ab said:

lukon100 said:

Thanks, Catherine3678ab.

Thanks again, Catherine.

Is my suspecion correct?

I'll get back to this later, it's pretty late right now but wanted to mention, no, you do not have to worship any gods of anything to use D/S ;-)

Greatful for that. I suck at worship.

• Deleting all the old morphs you made might be a good start.

First you could dial in one at a time, to send over bridge to Hexie, zero it in figure, bring the morphed geometry back into D/S and make a new morph with a new name. Note very carefully where you save it to. Save dialog the first line is auto-filled by D/S it being the place from whence cameth the already saved model you are morphing, the next two folder lines are your name and whatever you want to call this batch.

Close D/S and then dig in the data folders and remove the old ones.

Then open D/S and one by one load in the new morphs, adjust rigging to shape, Parameter Tab in edit mode, right-click and select ERC, do absolute nothing with the settings {I usually have the last 3 boxes checked, some only check the top 2 of those bottom 3} Click Accept. Then resave each morph to the very same folders they were first saved to. This way the old will overwrite the new. Do not change the name of the morphs! Eventually one can change the names on the "labels." The labels are what one sees in the Parameter Tab. For the time being I would recommend keeping all these new morphs in the same folder location on the Parameter Tab. This is so one can find them easily.

Then, what are you trying to do? Have one morph dial in another morph? Or have something dial in both morphs at one time?

edited January 2022

Ok. Thanks Catherine. You seem to be saying that a failure to properly delete an older version of a moph before creating it's replacement can screw up the replacement, or that Daz will ignore the replacement.

Does the log file I posted at the top of this thread look like it was an error related to the failure to delete an older version of the morph?

Here is that log file again:

Log file:

One other thing I can tell you about what I did is this: I always did save my replacement morph to the same path as the old one. The replacement was never in a different folder.

Anyway, here’s a question you just asked me:

“Then, what are you trying to do? Have one morph dial in another morph? Or have something dial in both morphs at one time?”

My answer is: Neither. What I’m doing is, in your terminology: “… have something dial in both morphs, but at different times”. That is, one slider that operates both morphs in a keyed way.

This is explained in my second question to you, which I will repeat in its entirety right here:

Given this situation, can you explain how I might otherwise unify these morphs in a keyed way?

• Catherine3678abCatherine3678ab Posts: 7,986
    edited January 2022

lukon100 said:

Ok. Thanks Catherine. You seem to be saying that a failure to properly delete an older version of a moph before creating it's replacement can screw up the replacement, or that Daz will ignore the replacement.

Does the log file I posted at the top of this thread look like it was an error related to the failure to delete an older version of the morph?

Here is that log file again:

Log file:

One other thing I can tell you about what I did is this: I always did save my replacement morph to the same path as the old one. The replacement was never in a different folder.

Anyway, here’s a question you just asked me:

“Then, what are you trying to do? Have one morph dial in another morph? Or have something dial in both morphs at one time?”

My answer is: Neither. What I’m doing is, in your terminology: “… have something dial in both morphs, but at different times”. That is, one slider that operates both morphs in a keyed way.

This is explained in my second question to you, which I will repeat in its entirety right here:

Given this situation, can you explain how I might otherwise unify these morphs in a keyed way?

Short answer: by using the timeline.

Longer answers:

From your log file, all I pick up on is that the morph failed to save. The only [otherwise good] morphs I've had fail were those that bore the same name as a pre-existing morphs.

If your replacement morph was physically overwriting the undesired morph, fine.

Okay, so you're wanting something to dial in both morphs, that is done then by creating a 3rd EMPTY morph to become a morph controller. {and eventually when all the morphs are polished, the 2 morphs needed to actually morph can be made into hidden morphs so the only 'morph' visible [when show hidden morphs is toggled off] would be the controller morph.

Parameters Tab in edit mode. And the rest I'm not about to try and give step by step instructions using tired memory. Somewhere in the steps starting with either the right-click or the toggle wheel - {having both new morphs dialed in full} to create a new property - and using the timeline to get the positions noted.

There should be somewhere in the forums instructions on how to do that. It's not something I do everyday. You would have to have the timeline set up of course with the various new morphs being in play to the desired positions. {at 0 everything at default load position, keyed, then continue from there}.

So when you have the 2 new and saved morphs ready, then I would suggest setting up the timeline, and saving the animated pose. {unwise to save scene files with unfinished morphs in them}

Hopefully the detailed instructions will be found or mentioned by somebody in the course of time. I don't think it involved the properties editor field, but it may have.

With regards to number 2: "if" ... so okay you don't have 2 that you're trying to make into 1. Sometimes we make morphs and realize it's partially doing what we want and we need to make another morph to completely do the task. My instructions for making the 2 into one would then apply so the end result is one has one good morph instead of 2 partial morphs cluttering the lists.

If the morphs were saved after the keys had been made, and the controller was saved, then yes I think D/S should have been saving the set. If in going through all the sets again, it doesn't, then I would suggest a technical support ticket be placed so the experts can look it over.

A lot of pJCMs in clothing are actually simple morphs which the program will automatically dial in without us having to make controller morphs.
    One notable exception is for the "balance beam" pose ;-) I have a tutorial for that over at sharecg. It does not involve keying in values though using the timeline.

Post edited by Catherine3678ab on
  • Catherine3678abCatherine3678ab Posts: 7,986
    edited January 2022

Here's the expert's post:  https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/comment/4323351/#Comment_4323351

And this is a helpful video tut, "0" for other will show the keys for morphs.

Post edited by Catherine3678ab on

Catherine3678ab said:

Here's the expert's post:  https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/comment/4323351/#Comment_4323351

Right on, Catherine!

You are pointing me in the right direction for learning what I want to learn about keyed morphing.

Thank you so much!

• lukon100 said:

Catherine3678ab said:

Right on, Catherine!

You are pointing me in the right direction for learning what I want to learn about keyed morphing.

Thank you so much!

You're quite welcome.