Black streaks in hair when trying to change color.

Strobe_LightStrobe_Light Posts: 264

So i'm trying to change the color of this hair with a shader preset but theres these black streaks still in the hair after i try and change its color.

Post edited by Strobe_Light on

Comments

• So i'm trying to change the color of this hair with a shader preset but theres these black streaks still in the hair after i try and change its color. Any idea how to fix this?

• SevrinSevrin Posts: 6,300

Good things to know would be:

The name of the hair
    The name of the shader preset

Some hair props have multiple surfaces, because some people like streaks. It's important to apply shaders to all of the layers to obtain even colouring.  Not knowing what hair or shaders are involved makes it difficult to make any more detailed suggestions.

• Sevrin said:

The name of the hair

Some hair props have multiple surfaces, because some people like streaks. It's important to apply shaders to all of the layers to obtain even colouring.  Not knowing what hair or shaders are involved makes it difficult to make any more detailed suggestions.

This is the hair: https://www.daz3d.com/dforce-classic-blowout-hair-for-genesis-8-and-81-females

And this is the shader preset: https://www.daz3d.com/fsl-realistic-hair-shaders-for-iray-and-filament

• MattymanxMattymanx Posts: 6,873

NotLuna said:

Sevrin said:

The name of the hair

This is the hair: https://www.daz3d.com/dforce-classic-blowout-hair-for-genesis-8-and-81-females

And this is the shader preset: https://www.daz3d.com/fsl-realistic-hair-shaders-for-iray-and-filament

Are you rendering in Iray or Filiment?  Are you using the correct shaders from the set for the render engine you are using?

• Mattymanx said:

NotLuna said:

Sevrin said:

The name of the hair

Are you rendering in Iray or Filiment?  Are you using the correct shaders from the set for the render engine you are using?

Im rendering in Iray and yes. 

• Threads merged, please don't multi-post.

• Richard Haseltine said:

Threads merged, please don't multi-post.

sorry nobody was responding on the other one. 

• NotLuna said:

So i'm trying to change the color of this hair with a shader preset but theres these black streaks still in the hair after i try and change its color.

It looks like the hair shader is not being applied to at least 2 different surfaces of the hair, which will produce that effect, depending on what the hair color was prior to applying the new shaders. When it comes to hair shader products like this, you usually want to apply them by selecting the hair, then going into the Surfaces tab and select all of the hair surfaces(EXCLUDING the cap, skull cap, scalp, and/or any accessories such as ties, hairbands, etc.) and then click one of the available color options in the product or shader content folder.

The color of the skull cap will need to be adjusted as well(Diffuse/Glossy/Top Coat colors) to coincide with the color of the other hair surfaces. As long as it doesn't look "off" or wrong, I usually keep the original settings of the skull cap for things such as bump, glossy roughness/reflectivity, etc. As a general rule, you don't want to match the hair cap color to the other surfaces exactly, but want it to be somewhat darker.

Also make sure you check for any differences among the various surfaces of the hair if you're still having that effect, and don't forget to check the other settings such as Gamma by clicking on the down-arrow for selecting an image & choosing Edit. Normally this isn't an issue if all of the surfaces are using the same image file, but if they're not, it could cause one surface to be lighter/darker than the other.

• magog_a4eb71ab said:

NotLuna said:

It looks like the hair shader is not being applied to at least 2 different surfaces of the hair, which will produce that effect, depending on what the hair color was prior to applying the new shaders. When it comes to hair shader products like this, you usually want to apply them by selecting the hair, then going into the Surfaces tab and select all of the hair surfaces(EXCLUDING the cap, skull cap, scalp, and/or any accessories such as ties, hairbands, etc.) and then click one of the available color options in the product or shader content folder.

The color of the skull cap will need to be adjusted as well(Diffuse/Glossy/Top Coat colors) to coincide with the color of the other hair surfaces. As long as it doesn't look "off" or wrong, I usually keep the original settings of the skull cap for things such as bump, glossy roughness/reflectivity, etc. As a general rule, you don't want to match the hair cap color to the other surfaces exactly, but want it to be somewhat darker.

Also make sure you check for any differences among the various surfaces of the hair if you're still having that effect, and don't forget to check the other settings such as Gamma by clicking on the down-arrow for selecting an image & choosing Edit. Normally this isn't an issue if all of the surfaces are using the same image file, but if they're not, it could cause one surface to be lighter/darker than the other.

I have all the surfaces selected.

• MelanieLMelanieL Posts: 7,091

According to the store page, that hair uses Geometry Shells to beef up the thickness of the hair - have you applied the shaders to those too?

• MelanieL said:

According to the store page, that hair uses Geometry Shells to beef up the thickness of the hair - have you applied the shaders to those too?

I feel so stupid this fixed it thank you.