Quick iRay preview, which card I need?

Hi all,

I've been messing with Daz since a while, but I have a poor GPU (GTX1660 !). I am thinking to upgrade, the main thing I want is to be able to use the iray preview window quickly. I saw some videos in which the iray preview almost looked in real time (using a RTX3090).

I don't care too much about the final image render times, I mean 5 minutes or 15 minutes doesn't matter too much. But I want the preview to work fast. Currently on my PC takes like 2 minutes to refresh every time I move a light or change a pose... too much :D

My question is, do I need an expensive 3090 or for example even a 3080 or 3070 could be enough? I couldn't find any videos of people doing tutorial with "slower" GPUs to see exactly how quick is the preview. Thanks!

Comments

• gramgram Posts: 14

The 3080ti is very close to the 3090 in raw performance, 3080ti has just couple percent less cuda cores (10,240 vs 10,496), etc.
    Biggest difference is the amount of ram, 3090 having 24GB and 3080ti having 12gb.

For me, 3080ti works very well, post denoiser performance is very snappy. non-ti is probably quite fine as well.

• Thanks for the info :)

• You want that vram. If you are going for true realism like myself one 8.1 setup just right to allow for the best SubD can take up 16GiB of memory.

• Wow just one char 16Gb !? :O

In my country the difference between a 3090 and a 3080 is about 700 euros so not a small one. But on the other hand if can speed up things considerably...

• takezo_3001takezo_3001 Posts: 1,914
    edited January 2022

I, too, am biased towards the 3090, as it may be steep in the way of price, but it more than makes up for it for **future proofing as it will last a good 4-5 years, and you'll be able to render any scene as well as being able to continue using your PC's resources for other pursuits while you're waiting for the render...

**Future proofing as far as component longevity, rather than having the best rig around as that is an impossible goal as having the best only lasts a year or so if you're lucky, you're better off buying parts to last you 4-5 years instead; a 3090 will remain relevant much longer than a 1660/3060!

Post edited by takezo_3001 on
  • I have a GTX 1060 6gb and don't experience any issues with the Iray preview mode. How much ram on your 1660?

• Philippi_Child said:

I have a GTX 1060 6gb and don't experience any issues with the Iray preview mode. How much ram on your 1660?

I should have specified that's a laptop, GTX1660 Ti. So yeah, less fast than a desktop for sure! As for RAM, it says it has 6Gb as well.

My complaint was about the iray preview speed, like I change a light or move a character and (obviously) it has to re-render the preview, and it's taking several seconds to show something, while with the RTX3090 seems to happen instantly or almost! :)

• HLEET_3DHLEET_3D Posts: 172
    edited January 2022

At any case, don't choose 3070 RTX 8GB ; the amount of VRAM is so low that you will very quickly fill it ... and the CPU (very very very slow rendering) will do all the work instead of your shiny new video card.

You will have to invest into a plugin like scene optimizer to reduce all the texture down ; it takes time to do it and the result is blurry for the objects that you have selected to downscale the texture (wow ! ... ). 

Anyway, stay very far from 8GB graphic card in 2022 !

Post edited by HLEET_3D on
  • Got it! I currently got a quote for 3600 euro for a PC with these specs:

Intel® Core™ i3-10100 4 Core (3,60 GHz), 6 MB cache
    DDR4 Corsair VENGEANCE 2400 MHz 64 GB
    NVIDIA GEFORCE RTX 3090 da 24 GB - HDMI, DP
    PCS PCIe M.2 SSD 1 TB (2200 MB/R, 1500 MB/W)

(plus various other HW). I think with 24Gb of VRAM I should be fine :P

• HLEET_3DHLEET_3D Posts: 172

maybe a little boost on the cpu could help.
    To stay in the budget, maybe an i5 10400 ? https://www.cpu-monkey.com/en/compare_cpu-intel_core_i3_10100-1156-vs-intel_core_i5_10400-1153

• Yes, I changed the CPU to:

Intel® Core™ i5-10600KF 6 Core (4,1 GHz) 12 MB cache

and increased price of only 80 eur. The most expensive thing is the RTX3090, basically is worth half of the computer price surprise