Completely reinstall everything?

Recently my main hard drive with the Daz program crashed. Thankfully I had all my content from Daz store and other storefronts stored on external drives. I just reinstalled Daz on a new hard drive but all of my content from daz store is greyed out, I pointed the program and DIM to the externals again but in Daz and DIM it still shows no content is installed. Is there a way to fix this?

Comments

• How did you install? If it's showing greyed out thumbnails then presumably you are allowing Daz Studio to go online, but do you install that way or through DIM?

If you install through DIM, and if you can see your content in the Content Library under Daz Studio Formats, then all you need to do is open the Content Library option menu (the lined/hamburger button in the top corner, or right-click the tab), select Content DB Maintenance, and check Reimport Metadata, then select all in the next dialogue.

If you do install solely through DIM then there is no real need to have Daz Studio work online at all.

• jedijuddjedijudd Posts: 606

Thank you, how do I fix the problem with DIM it shows nothing is installed

• DIM tracks what it has installed through the .dsx files in the Manifests folder. Do you have that, and have you made sure DIM has been pointed to it in Advacned Settings?

• AllenArtAllenArt Posts: 7,140

Richard Haseltine said:

DIM tracks what it has installed through the .dsx files in the Manifests folder. Do you have that, and have you made sure DIM has been pointed to it in Advacned Settings?

The manifests folder frequently ends up on the C drive unless you change the location, so if that's the case and your C drive is the drive that you lost, DS has no way of knowing what's been installed, even if you have all the folders from your installs, DIM won't know they've been installed. 

edited January 2022

Ok thanks yea it was my C drive I lost I guess I will just reinstall everything

I guess the bright side is I can leave out products I never even used this time

Post edited by jedijudd on
  • jedijudd said:

Ok thanks yea it was my C drive I lost I guess I will just reinstall everything

I guess the bright side is I can leave out products I never even used this time

You don't have a back up? It would have been in the Public Documents folder by default

• jjoynerjjoyner Posts: 440

I retired from teaching in mid-2019 and now have more time to play around with 3D content that I've accumulated since getting introduced to 3D CG in 2007.  At the same time, I bought a much more capable laptop specifically for dabbling with my 3D content.  Several months ago, it occurred to me that it would be wise to have a backup of my Daz Studio and Poser content database.  I have Daz (Poser and others) installed on my faster but smaller boot drive (internal SSD – C:\), DIM manifest files on my larger, internal HDD (D:\), and my content files on an external hard drive (G:\).

Last summer, it occurred to me that it would be a good idea to backup my content database files in case something happened to my internal drives.  I now do a weekly backup of the files in my C:\Users\...\AppData\Roaming\DAZ 3D folder which contains my DAZ CMS folder.  I do the same for my Poser 11 AppData.  There are probably other important support files that I should be backing up weekly such as

D:\Public\Documents\DAZ 3D\Install Manager\Manifest Files and

G:\My DAZ 3D Library - Passport\Runtime\Support and more.

I have files spread across three drives so knowing what is essential for a recovery (hopefully never needed) is challenging.

Yea I learned important lesson to backup more often

• AllenArtAllenArt Posts: 7,140

jedijudd said:

Yea I learned important lesson to backup more often

If you do it all over again, put your manifest, downloads and thumbnails folders on an external just like you do your content and if you lose a c drive again, just point DIM to the folders on the external. 

Thank you all for your help