UltraSceneryXT - large terrain/landscape generator

Comments

• This is my first time posting on the forum, but I wanted to let Howie have a heads up.  I just submitted a ticket because fully installing UltraSceneryXT causes my DazStudio to quit. This is a copy of what I put in the ticket.

"When I try to install UltraSceneryXT I have a problem.  When using the Install Manager, DazStudio will quit if UltraSceneryXT for DAZ Studio 4.5+ (Mac 64-bit) is installed.  If I uninstall that with the Manager, then DazStudio opens as normal.  The UltraSceneryXT - Expansive Landscape System part installs without problem.  Then I tried manually downloading the zip files from my product library to see if I could install that way. The  84924_UltraSceneryXTforDAZStudio45Mac64bit_1.0.0.16_ds.zip unzips into an application that I think is supposed to install the part that is causing problems through the Install Manager, but when I try to run the application I get a message that I don't have permission to open the application, even though it's my computer and I am the administrator.  Trying to change permissions has no affect.  I know Howie develops on a Mac, so this should be working for my computer as well.  I have the original UltraScenery and never had a problem with it. (Also, this originally happened with DazStudio 4.15 but then I upgraded to DazStudio 4.20 and still had the problem, so I don't think it's the version of DazStudio that is any problem.)"

I really hope they can find a solution soon, because I was really excited for this product.  I love Howie's UltraScenery which I use for all my rendrs that need a complex landscape.

• DaventakiDaventaki Posts: 1,621

My first go with USXT, love it! 

I am having issues with trees being in the water though.  This is one of the presets but if I change settings and create my own look I end up with trees in the water.  I haven't figured out how to stop it from doing that.

USXT copy.jpg
    1500 x 1021 - 2M
  • HowieFarkesHowieFarkes Posts: 582

Daventaki said:

My first go with USXT, love it! 

I am having issues with trees being in the water though.  This is one of the presets but if I change settings and create my own look I end up with trees in the water.  I haven't figured out how to stop it from doing that.

Set the Min Altitude (m) in the Biome section to the same value as the water level - so probably want it set to 0 (zero)
  • barbultbarbult Posts: 23,049

richardandtracy said:

I wonder if I can ask for some advice. There are 5 files on the download page. I'm running Win7 and can only do manual download due to the machine being internet expired and Install Manager doesn't work on an Android Tablet (my internet machine). Three of the files are available for manual download:

1. 4924_UltraSceneryXTforDAZStudio45Mac64bit_1.0.0.16_ds.zip
    2. 84924_UltraSceneryXTforDAZStudio45Win64bit_1.0.0.16_ds.exe
    3. IM00084924-01_UltraSceneryXTExpansiveLandscapeSystem.zip

Item 1 is Mac only, so, can I ask are 2 & 3 the complete installation, or will I need to ask customer support help to download the file below like I did with the US accelerator?

• IM00084924-02_UltraSceneryXTforDAZStudio45Win64bit.zip 

Many thanks in advance for your advice.

Regards,

Richard 

I now think my original guess that 1 and 2 were the plugin was wrong. The plugin and manual are in IM00084924-02_UltraSceneryXTforDAZStudio45Win64bit.zip. I don't understand why 1 and 2 do not have standard IM000 prefixes and why the Windows file is an exe, not a zip file. They must be the rest of the content, but exe is not a DIM file type as far as I know. It is puzzling. Does DIM download different files than what the manual installation from the Product Library offers?

• TugpsxTugpsx Posts: 732
    edited March 2022

This is a great prduct and does work in Daz Octane plugin. You will have to adjust the water to somewhere near Specular Material IOR 1.5 Film IOR 1.45 Opacity 0.89 maybe add displacement if needed. These settings were provided by LittleFisky.

UCXTtest1.JPG
    1059 x 854 - 136K
    UCXTtest2.JPG
    1068 x 851 - 175K
    UCXTtest3.JPG
    1066 x 852 - 142K
    Post edited by Tugpsx on

Those Octane renders look very nice.

• TugpsxTugpsx Posts: 732
    edited March 2022

Thanks, they are fast and even with a 1024x1024 terrain the drone flies great.

BTW those images are XT only I didnt mix any foreground and background.

Post edited by Tugpsx on

I like the transparency of the water. It is interesting to see the ground underneath. I want to see your drone animation.

• jag11jag11 Posts: 885
    edited March 2022

Mixed forest.

mixed forest.png
    1280 x 720 - 1M
    Post edited by jag11 on
  • barbult said:

richardandtracy said:

I wonder if I can ask for some advice. There are 5 files on the download page. I'm running Win7 and can only do manual download due to the machine being internet expired and Install Manager doesn't work on an Android Tablet (my internet machine). Three of the files are available for manual download:

Item 1 is Mac only, so, can I ask are 2 & 3 the complete installation, or will I need to ask customer support help to download the file below like I did with the US accelerator?

Regards,

Richard 

I now think my original guess that 1 and 2 were the plugin was wrong. The plugin and manual are in IM00084924-02_UltraSceneryXTforDAZStudio45Win64bit.zip. I don't understand why 1 and 2 do not have standard IM000 prefixes and why the Windows file is an exe, not a zip file. They must be the rest of the content, but exe is not a DIM file type as far as I know. It is puzzling. Does DIM download different files than what the manual installation from the Product Library offers?

Well, I used the .exe (2) and did my usual on the zip (3) and it worked, so I am one happy bunny. A render took 2hrs:47mins in my GTX1060, just great. From Task Manager, it should be possible to have an US foreground and a character or two in the machine's 24Gb ram, though the second character may prevent the GPU rendering. I shall try.

USXT is an absolute masterclass in minimising memory usage for the maximum effect. Very impressed.

• NathNath Posts: 2,713

Greybro said:

Nath said:

Nothing clickable - I'll give it another deinstall/reinstall.

I needed to close Daz Studio after install to find the option to open the Tab under Windows/Panels. Then start the steps on page 6 (for me) of the manual.

Rebooting (regular overnight switch-off) solved the issue - should have tried that yesterday LOL.

Here's a quick test.

test.png
    2500 x 893 - 4M
  • alexhcowleyalexhcowley Posts: 2,309

richardandtracy said:

barbult said:

richardandtracy said:

Regards,

Richard 

Well, I used the .exe (2) and did my usual on the zip (3) and it worked, so I am one happy bunny. A render took 2hrs:47mins in my GTX1060, just great. From Task Manager, it should be possible to have an US foreground and a character or two in the machine's 24Gb ram, though the second character may prevent the GPU rendering. I shall try.

USXT is an absolute masterclass in minimising memory usage for the maximum effect. Very impressed.

The .exe file installs the plug-in program into the appropriate part of the Window's system directory. The .zip contains the .duf and png files for the DS content library and the all important .PDF manual. 

I'm not a Mac user so I can't speculate as to exactly how the installer for Macs works.

Cheers,

Alex 

alexhcowley said:

richardandtracy said:

barbult said:

richardandtracy said:

Regards,

Richard 

The .exe file installs the plug-in program into the appropriate part of the Window's system directory. The .zip contains the .duf and png files for the DS content library and the all important .PDF manual. 

I'm not a Mac user so I can't speculate as to exactly how the installer for Macs works.

Cheers,

Alex 

When you say the content is in "the zip", do you mean  IM00084924-01_UltraSceneryXTExpansiveLandscapeSystem.zip or IM00084924-02_UltraSceneryXTforDAZStudio45Win64bit.zip?

barbult said:

alexhcowley said:

richardandtracy said:

barbult said:

richardandtracy said:

Regards,

Richard 

Cheers,

Alex 

When you say the content is in "the zip", do you mean  IM00084924-01_UltraSceneryXTExpansiveLandscapeSystem.zip or IM00084924-02_UltraSceneryXTforDAZStudio45Win64bit.zip?

Barbult,

Sorry, I should have been a little more precise;

02_UltraSceneryXTforDAZStudio45Win64bit.zip

Cheers,

Alex. 

• AnEye4ArtAnEye4Art Posts: 702
    edited March 2022

Quick tests.

test.png
    1000 x 562 - 818K
    test render.png
    1280 x 720 - 2M
    Post edited by AnEye4Art on
  • MartialMartial Posts: 404
    edited March 2022

Hello

For now i didn't success with the product Maybe i have an installation problem.I have acces to the  interface pane But i cannot find , for example , the presets ,Where can i find it ?

i have installed

IM00084924-01_UltraSceneryXTExpansiveLandscapeSystem.zip
    84924_UltraSceneryXTforDAZStudio45Win64bit_1.0.0.16_ds.exe

My main DAZStudio exe is in D:\DAZStudio4 64 bits where 84924_UltraSceneryXTforDAZStudio45Win64bit_1.0.0.16_ds.exe have been installed by defaut

I have many contents installed in E:\ DAZStudio Library\My library sur E and normally i can use it , as i did many time  and i have manually installed there the content of IM00084924-01_UltraSceneryXTExpansiveLandscapeSystem.zip

AND finally using the parameters of the pane interface  it seems a terrain was generated but impossible to render the scene (see capture screen)

Screen Shot 03-19-22 at 09.23 AM.JPG
    1435 x 952 - 329K
    Screen Shot 03-19-22 at 09.55 AM.JPG
    1710 x 1148 - 539K
    Post edited by Martial on
  • Hi everybody

The biome never appears... I try all the presets (terrain and water are OK, but no biome). 

I dont understand...

Capture d’écran 2022-03-19 145631.png
    940 x 160 - 41K
    Capture d’écran 2022-03-19 145607.png
    550 x 422 - 345K
    Capture d’écran 2022-03-19 145749.png
    943 x 397 - 97K
  • rochard.frantz said:

Hi everybody

The biome never appears... I try all the presets (terrain and water are OK, but no biome). 

I dont understand...

It is only visible when making a real render. Not in Iray Preview mode!

• davesodaveso Posts: 6,364

My first render using XT ... I like it although a bit long to render, I'm impatient, but considering the result I quess not too bad. 21 minutes 16 seconds
    One important TIP that was given somehwere up above, YOU NEED TO SET BIOME MIN ALTITUDE TO 0 OR HIGHER, otherwise, the trees will be in the water. I see a lot of expreimentation here. So many possibilities. 

I like the fact you can change parameters, hit render, and the changes are applied. 

CAMERA POSITIONING. This is huge scenery so it takes a lot of scrolling to bring the scenery into a decent camera range.  This is camera position Z=15,000, Y=3100, X= -6500. I imagine this would change when a USC terrain is used however. Any advice on camera positioning? 

IMAGES: biome min alt 0, 2nd image biome min alt 5.   huge difference

xt-1.png
    1500 x 1125 - 3M
    xt-1B biome min alt 5.png
    1500 x 1125 - 4M
  • GreybroGreybro Posts: 2,461

Got a stunner after letting this work a while.

Stunner

• AnEye4ArtAnEye4Art Posts: 702

daveso said:

My first render using XT ... I like it although a bit long to render, I'm impatient, but considering the result I quess not too bad. 21 minutes 16 seconds
    One important TIP that was given somehwere up above, YOU NEED TO SET BIOME MIN ALTITUDE TO 0 OR HIGHER, otherwise, the trees will be in the water. I see a lot of expreimentation here. So many possibilities. 

I like the fact you can change parameters, hit render, and the changes are applied. 

CAMERA POSITIONING. This is huge scenery so it takes a lot of scrolling to bring the scenery into a decent camera range.  This is camera position Z=15,000, Y=3100, X= -6500. I imagine this would change when a USC terrain is used however. Any advice on camera positioning? 

IMAGES: biome min alt 0, 2nd image biome min alt 5.   huge difference

The huge scenery does take a lot of scrolling but I guess it's a good problem to have, though, considering ultrascenery was not big enough for huge sceneries. But I wonder how others deal with finding a good spot to scroll to; I sometimes load a small prop or character that I can position in place and "jump" to that spot.

• Peter WadePeter Wade Posts: 1,602

I've bought this and I've tried several times but I can't get it to render an image. I've created the terrain, set the save location, applied a preset, updated the maps and set instance optimisation to memory. When I try to render I get a box saying UltraSceneryXT is doing something, then I get a box saying. Error during rendering. I cancel this and the render window appears with nothing in it. After I close this the Studio interface is working, I can move the camera and change parameters but if I try to render again it says the renderer is already in use. The only way to get out of this is to exit Studio and start it again.

Maybe my computer is under-powered. I've got a 6 core  i7 running at 3.47 GHz with 12GB Memory and a GTX 1050ti graphics card with 4GB video RAM, 64 bit Windows 10 Pro, Daz Studio 4.20. Is anyone running UltraScenety XT on anything like this?

• Peter Wade said:

I've bought this and I've tried several times but I can't get it to render an image. I've created the terrain, set the save location, applied a preset, updated the maps and set instance optimisation to memory. When I try to render I get a box saying UltraSceneryXT is doing something, then I get a box saying. Error during rendering. I cancel this and the render window appears with nothing in it. After I close this the Studio interface is working, I can move the camera and change parameters but if I try to render again it says the renderer is already in use. The only way to get out of this is to exit Studio and start it again.

Maybe my computer is under-powered. I've got a 6 core  i7 running at 3.47 GHz with 12GB Memory and a GTX 1050ti graphics card with 4GB video RAM, 64 bit Windows 10 Pro, Daz Studio 4.20. Is anyone running UltraScenety XT on anything like this?

Try setting instance optimisation to Auto or Speed.

• Peter WadePeter Wade Posts: 1,602

DoctorJellybean said:

Peter Wade said:

Try setting instance optimisation to Auto or Speed.

The first time I tried it was set to auto because I forgot to change it. The PDF that comes with this says set it to memory. Setting it to speed is almost certain to cause problems due to the number of instances used.

• nabob21nabob21 Posts: 909
    edited March 2022

Hello,

I seem to be having issues with UltraSceneryXT as well. The interface pane doesn't look anything like the images shown above and I get error message when I try to open a preset. I have attached screen captures of the interface screen and the error message as well as my log file. Hopefully someone can help me with this.

Editeed to re-attach the log file.

Capture2.JPG
    348 x 327 - 17K
    Capture1.JPG
    509 x 189 - 17K
    txt
    txt
    log.txt
    Post edited by nabob21 on

nabob21 said:

Hello,

I seem to be having issues with UltraSceneryXT as well. The interface pane doesn't look anything like the images shown above and I get error message when I try to open a preset. I have attached screen captures of the interface screen and the error message as well as my log file. Hopefully someone can help me with this.

Have you selected New UltrasceneryXT Terrain off the create menu first?  Once this is done, the terrain should appear in the scene pane. Select this and all the options should appear in the USXT pane.

Cheers,

Alex. 

• nabob21nabob21 Posts: 909

Hi alexhcowley,

I did try that but it didn't work initially. However, I have since done a re-install and it now appears to be working. I must have had a corrupt install when I did it the first time. Thanks for you help though. It is appreciated.

• bohemian3bohemian3 Posts: 1,021
    edited March 2022

Great product - I look forward to seeing it evolve.  This product with VDP clouds finally allows me to create entire large scenes in DAZ without relying on stock photos for dramatic skys and vistas.  And will follow the camera preciesely.  Here's a quick kick of the wheels - I look forward to deeper understanding of the product.  

Test.png
    1080 x 1350 - 2M
    Post edited by bohemian3 on
  • bohemian3bohemian3 Posts: 1,021
    edited March 2022

AnEye4Art said:

I wonder how others deal with finding a good spot to scroll to; I sometimes load a small prop or character that I can position in place and "jump" to that spot.

Hiya - Eye4Art - I always keep my primary model at 0,0 along with the camera - I move all large props and scenary around the model, not vice versa.  With a large terrain, I find it easier to rotate the terrain on y around my model to find a visually interesting spot to use.  Also I use my auxilizary viewport extensively on top view to move things around (especially cloud groups) kinda like a map locator in a game.  Be sure to lock things you don't want to move, also.  And groups are your friend.  

Post edited by bohemian3 on
  • TotteTotte Posts: 13,473
    edited March 2022

I've also been playing with this new toy (at least as much as time permits).
    The second the terrain is based on a terrain heightmap generated with World Creator and imported into heigjtmap, and some noise added to it.

testUSXT.jpg
    1200 x 511 - 433K
    testUSXT2.png
    1200 x 510 - 991K
    Post edited by Totte on