UltraSceneryXT - large terrain/landscape generator

Comments

• AnEye4ArtAnEye4Art Posts: 702

Totte said:

I've also been playing with this new toy (at least as much as time permits).
    The second the terrain is based on a terrain heightmap generated with World Creator and imported into heigjtmap, and some noise added to it.

Welcome fellow WorldCreator user. I'm glad to see someone else using WC and USXT together. If you find a way to apply a WC colormap on your USXT terrain, please share. Looks great, by the way.

• AnEye4ArtAnEye4Art Posts: 702

bohemian3 said:

AnEye4Art said:

I wonder how others deal with finding a good spot to scroll to; I sometimes load a small prop or character that I can position in place and "jump" to that spot.

Hiya - Eye4Art - I always keep my primary model at 0,0 along with the camera - I move all large props and scenary around the model, not vice versa.  With a large terrain, I find it easier to rotate the terrain on y around my model to find a visually interesting spot to use.  Also I use my auxilizary viewport extensively on top view to move things around (especially cloud groups) kinda like a map locator in a game.  Be sure to lock things you don't want to move, also.  And groups are your friend.  

Thank you. I will try that. 

• SimonJMSimonJM Posts: 5,942

I am getting a preety much reliable 'render engine error' when using a HDRI with this product. I saved a scene, loaded an HDRI and got th error (which means as I have to cycle Daz Studio as it lock sthe rendere as ;in use'), Loaded the scene after the restart and used a SUn-Sky setting and it worked. Played a little, added some VDB clouds and it worked. Then, suddenly, render engine crash again.

• smoke14smoke14 Posts: 245
    edited March 2022

Quick render using UltraSceneryXT. Thank you for the wonderful product.

USXT_eagle.png
    1000 x 800 - 2M
    Post edited by smoke14 on
  • JackReasonJackReason Posts: 144

Another one...

Castle.jpg
    3000 x 2121 - 7M
  • DaventakiDaventaki Posts: 1,621

Thanks HowieFarkes!   Will give that a try.  Here is a mix with US and USXT.  Second image is edited in Luminar.

Not sure what is up with the rock.  Looks like it was cut off. 

USXT2TM03202022Full.jpg
    1500 x 1021 - 1M
    USXT2TM03202022Cropped.jpg
    1500 x 913 - 2M
  • ioonrxoonioonrxoon Posts: 885
    edited March 2022

I was anxious to see how resource heavy this is, but I'm very happy with it. Worked just fine with a sub-d 4 character with spectral and caustics enabled.

I can already say this is going to be essential, a quick and easy way to make beautiful backgrounds without the limitations of  hdris. If you're planning on making add-ons, I'd really love to see a caribbean flavoured one... my ships and pirates could use a nice playground.

Sophy.jpg
    3840 x 2160 - 4M
    Post edited by ioonrxoon on
  • alexhcowleyalexhcowley Posts: 2,309

Totte said:

The second the terrain is based on a terrain heightmap generated with World Creator and imported into heigjtmap, and some noise added to it.

Totte,

How long before we see a USXT toolbox?  One thing that surprises me about USXT is that there is no "large lake" surrounded by mountains" landscape. I think I could probably achieve this with height maps but I have no experience of generating these. 

Cheers,

Alex. 

• mcorrmcorr Posts: 1,018
    edited March 2022

HowieFarkes said:

Gogger said:

Sooo... I seem to be missing something. Purchased, and installed via DIM, the directory shows up right next to Ultrascenery but there are only supporting folders, Materials, Plants, etc. but nothing to actually run like Ultrascenery has in its root. I tried loading a preset, thinking it might trigger USXT to pop up - nothing. I even ran Ultrascenery and looked for XT elements in that but nothing. What am I missing?  I uninstalled USXT, shut down DAZ and reinstalled USXT then restarted DAZ - still nothing. 

USXT shows up in 'Installed Plugins' with a green plug.

DAZ Studio v4.20.0.6 Pro Edition and my computer hardware is well within spec. The original Ultrascenery runs fine.

Any ideas?

Go to Window -> Panes (Tabs) -> UltraSceneryXT from the Studio menu bar to open the UI

Installed via DIM ... Ultrascenery is working, but no USXT pane under Panes (Tabs) Ultrascenery. Does this require a certain version of Studio? Help?

Also, manually installing USXT causes both 4.15 and 4.2 to crash at start up (only when installing manually does the plug-in get put into the place where it belongs .... for some reason DIM doesn't do it). The second I remove USXT from the plug-ins folder, Studio starts up w/out any probs. Totally useless so far on a M1 MAC.

Post edited by mcorr on
  • DoctorJellybeanDoctorJellybean Posts: 7,845
    edited March 2022

alexhcowley said:

Totte,

How long before we see a USXT toolbox?  One thing that surprises me about USXT is that there is no "large lake" surrounded by mountains" landscape. I think I could probably achieve this with height maps but I have no experience of generating these.

2024 is my educated guess laugh

Post edited by DoctorJellybean on
  • PaintboxPaintbox Posts: 1,633
    edited March 2022

Making a heightmap is super easy, if you know how to load maps (and you can in USXT)

This one is pretty cool (you have to wait for a little for it to load) :

https://tangrams.github.io/heightmapper
    ^ Making a map using real world data

Post edited by Paintbox on
  • AnEye4Art said:

Totte said:

Welcome fellow WorldCreator user. I'm glad to see someone else using WC and USXT together. If you find a way to apply a WC colormap on your USXT terrain, please share. Looks great, by the way.

Maybe just converting the terrain to the Iray Ubershader and pasting the materials would work? Otherwise, seeing how the Ultra XT shader works, I don't think there's a straightforward solution.

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,711
    edited April 2022

NM

Post edited by WendyLuvsCatz on
  • richardandtracyrichardandtracy Posts: 4,979
    edited March 2022

Just a little scene with US Australian Botanica, a nice kitty and one of the USXT backgrounds. Will take time to get the best out of USXT.

Regards,

Richard.

Cheetah 01 R01.png
    1860 x 936 - 4M
    Post edited by richardandtracy on

Paintbox said:

Making a heightmap is super easy, if you know how to load maps (and you can in USXT)

Thanks for the link but it doesn't seem to be doing what I want. The nearest I could get was a map of one of the Great Lakes, which is the wrong shape. What I want is a large lake surrounded by mountains. It doesn't matter whether it is "real world" or not.

Cheers,

Alex. 

is a specific version of mdl materials necessary for this?

why is there no documentation regarding mac OS versions it will run on, as well as any other dependencies that might be necessary?

• HowieFarkesHowieFarkes Posts: 582

I don't have an M1 Mac so can't test that. It was developed on an iMac OSX Catalina using DS versions 4.8, 4.15, 4.16 and 4.20 - the Windows version was also developed and tested on Windows 10 with DS versions 4.12, 4.14, 4.16 and 4.20 - I think that was a pretty nice spread of versions to see if anything came up - they all worked the same.

If anyone else using an M1 Mac has anything to say I'd be interested to hear their experience.

edited March 2022

Although the M1 installation is not working (as others have also commented on), a non-M1 install is bringing up the window, I can put in all the parameters I like, and then when I render I get a washed out, uniformcolor acrosss the lanscape, as if the shader isn't working. The surfaces tab in Studio is, however, showing that materials have been applied. What's up with that?

screenshot.png
    728 x 446 - 512K
    Post edited by mcorr on

Looks like the content is not installed

edited March 2022

rochard.frantz said:

Hi everybody

The biome never appears... I try all the presets (terrain and water are OK, but no biome). 

I dont understand...

Are you setting the folder for the terrain maps to be saved to? Because this is what it looks like when the plugin can't write or find the maps.

Post edited by HowieFarkes on

HowieFarkes said:

Nope ... DIMM installed and also once hand installed the data files, the textures and the environment folder. Let me ask you again, does this require a certain version of MDL files. If not, then what could the problem be?

• jag11jag11 Posts: 885

mcorr said:

Although the M1 installation is not working (as others have also commented on), a non-M1 install is bringing up the window, I can put in all the parameters I like, and then when I render I get a washed out, uniformcolor acrosss the lanscape, as if the shader isn't working. The surfaces tab in Studio is, however, showing that materials have been applied. What's up with that?

Looks like Matte mode is on. Just to to make sure check your render settings.

• jag11jag11 Posts: 885

mcorr said:

jag11 said:

mcorr said:

render settings: render mode: realistic

Those are my settings .... don't even see a "matte" mode .... where is that?

edited March 2022

Also .... I can go into the surface tab and change all the colors ..., but it does nothing to the render (none of those colors show up), except snow (if I have chosen a material with snow) and sand (which I have in the scene) .... none of the tints work though.

The biome seems to be unaffected by this problem ... it is functioning correctly.

Attached a screen shot proving that the resources are loaded as necessary in the surfaces tab.

SS2.png
    161 x 747 - 59K
    Post edited by mcorr on

HowieFarkes said:

Howie .... your plugin doesn't work for MAC M1 people and on non-M1, the surface shader is not working either. Again, are there any dependcies, like a particular MDL library?

edited March 2022

Having had a play around with the presets yesterday, I decided to try something a wee bit more ambitious today and attempt to create my own custom scene: a large lake surrounded by mountains.

The first problem was the height map. I solved this by borrowing USC_Wetland_01_heightmap1 from the original Ultrascenery. The first attempt produced a huge mountain so I inverted the heightmap.

Next problem was the lake was infested with trees.  I set the biome minimum altitude to 1 metre, following the useful tip from @daveso,  which solved this issue.

The lake was far too small so this was fixed by setting the minimum altitude, on the terrain properties tab, to -100 metres. 

My resultant spawn is not the Mona Lisa but, like any father with a new baby, I’m quite pleased with it nonetheless.  

Watch this space for further developments.

Cheers,

Alex.

Custom Lake 1.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 366K
    Custom Lake 2.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 387K
    Custom Lake 3.jpg
    3000 x 1875 - 1M
    Custom Lake Render 1.jpg
    3000 x 1875 - 2M
    Custom Lake Render 2.jpg
    3000 x 1875 - 2M
    Post edited by alexhcowley on
  • MelanieLMelanieL Posts: 7,091
    edited March 2022

WendyLuvsCatz said:

Paintbox said:

also https://terrain.party/

Are you still able to get anything from terrain.party? I downloaded a bunch of maps from there about four years ago but now I keep getting "Application Error" when I try.

Anyway, this is my first trial of USC-XT with a terrain.party map from 2018 and a USC Oaks scene in the front. 

I'm absolutely loving this product, by the way - I wish I had much more time to play because it has so many options. Well worth the first-day buy! (Thanks for your skill and effort, HowieFarkes)

Couiza-01.jpg
    1280 x 720 - 605K
    Post edited by MelanieL on
  • TotteTotte Posts: 13,473

@AnEye4Art  : I think turning WC materials into shaders is probably lots of work. 
    @alexhcowley : Heh,  guess DrJellyBean is correct. But a set of heightmaps for "mountain in the sea" could be created and uploaded here if I get a little time left
    @mcorr: I will test on my M1 shortly.