[Released] Turbo Loader for Genesis 8 and 8.1 [Commercial]

Comments

• Worlds_EdgeWorlds_Edge Posts: 2,142

If you intend to create a new character by mixing various premade characters, would you not use turbo during the character creation process? Then, after you are done, would you clear all unused morphs so the next time you load the character or scene subset, the load time is improved?

Sounds like you have another winning product. 

• RiverSoft ArtRiverSoft Art Posts: 6,344

Worlds_Edge said:

If you intend to create a new character by mixing various premade characters, would you not use turbo during the character creation process? Then, after you are done, would you clear all unused morphs so the next time you load the character or scene subset, the load time is improved?

Sounds like you have another winning product. 

Correct.  You need to have all the morphs available for your character mixing process.  However, once you are done, you could use the Turbo Loader Scene Configuration to figure out exactly what morphs were used for that figure and save it for later.  Then, disable all morphs.  When you need to use that mixed character, use that "Scene" configuration to load only the morphs needed for your mixed character. 

Reminder: If you buy the product when it comes out, please record your BEFORE and AFTER times so we can share with others.

• Thadeus72Thadeus72 Posts: 408

awesome ! waiting for it ! it's will speed my workflow

thanks thanks thanks

• HavosHavos Posts: 5,294

One other potential benefit of this product would be the memory footprint used by each figure (I am talking about RAM, not VRAM). Loading in a Genesis 8 figure into the scene for me will add around 1-2 GB to the memory needed, and this grows for each new one added. During render the RAM used jumps again.

Since I have noticed that the RAM used seems to grow as my library of installed morphs also grows, I am assuming a fair bit of memory is used by each parameter installed, even when they are not in use. As such this product should help to reduce the footprint, potentially allowing more figures to be added to a scene. Have you done any analysis on the effect this product has on memory footprint of a loaded scene?

Thadeus72 said:

thanks thanks thanks

Thrice Welcome! laugh

Havos said:

One other potential benefit of this product would be the memory footprint used by each figure (I am talking about RAM, not VRAM). Loading in a Genesis 8 figure into the scene for me will add around 1-2 GB to the memory needed, and this grows for each new one added. During render the RAM used jumps again.

Since I have noticed that the RAM used seems to grow as my library of installed morphs also grows, I am assuming a fair bit of memory is used by each parameter installed, even when they are not in use. As such this product should help to reduce the footprint, potentially allowing more figures to be added to a scene. Have you done any analysis on the effect this product has on memory footprint of a loaded scene?

No, I have not characterized it, but it makes sense.

• Mark_e593e0a5Mark_e593e0a5 Posts: 1,569

Thadeus72 said:

thanks thanks thanks

It WILL speed up your workflow, believe me. I would not want to be without TurboLoader anymore. Adding characters to a scene is FUN again. Ever created a beach scene with 15 females and 10 males? No, not using billboards, but full-blown Genesis 8 and 8.1 characters? Once you integrated TurboLoader in your workflow, doing such a scene will be blazing fast.

I use it in a combination with SmartCollections and FavoRatings a lot.

Mark_e593e0a5 said:

Thadeus72 said:

thanks thanks thanks

It WILL speed up your workflow, believe me. I would not want to be without TurboLoader anymore. Adding characters to a scene is FUN again. Ever created a beach scene with 15 females and 10 males? No, not using billboards, but full-blown Genesis 8 and 8.1 characters? Once you integrated TurboLoader in your workflow, doing such a scene will be blazing fast.

I use it in a combination with SmartCollections and FavoRatings a lot.

Gosh, I am blushing! blush Thank you for the endorsement! laugh​ 

• So, let me see if I understand: if I load a G8F, fiddle around with all her morphs until I make something I'm happy satisfied with, then use this to delete all the unused morphs and save her as a scene subset, that means I can load that character with all the benefits this brings while also being able to load a different character that has morphs the first one doesn't? Or will I need to enable all the used morphs by all the figures I'm planning to use on a given scene?

• So you change the file extension to make them invisible to DAZ, then use the script to change them back in bulk.  Pretty nifty.  I'm going to throw money at you shortly.

I do have one question:  Have you considered what happens if a product gets an update that changes a morph?  It will not delete the old one, becuase it has the wrong extention, but it will install the new version, so what you would end up with is morph1.rightextention and moph1.changedextention (since I am too lazy to look up the actual extention names at the moment).

In any case, any idea what happens in that situation, or do we need to be careful about making sure the morphs are enabled before installing a product update?

• Saxa -- SDSaxa -- SD Posts: 871

Cool, it's here :)  Cool promo too lol.

Reading the product descrip have one question, just to be sure.  
    Seems automatically, that script on startup renames all morphs except G* essentials?  Or, is there not just an additive workflow, but also option for a subtractive workflow?
    As someone with a ton of morphs and many WIPs, have to figure out how much time it will take and how will work this in, before starting this script  Thks!

• NathNath Posts: 2,713

Loading Deepsea Eve before the script: 1 min 13 (with around 150 G8F characters installed)

Loading Deepsea Eve after the script: "Oh no, I forgot to check the start time, oh never mind there she is already." Say about 10 seconds max.

Now try and understand where to store configurations, how to create a base configuration with all morphs in it, and how to load that when I want to load a figure that I haven't run the script on yet. Not that something like this could ever be simple in the running, but I need to get to grips with it.

And it is released!

Uthgard said:

So, let me see if I understand: if I load a G8F, fiddle around with all her morphs until I make something I'm happy satisfied with, then use this to delete all the unused morphs and save her as a scene subset, that means I can load that character with all the benefits this brings while also being able to load a different character that has morphs the first one doesn't? Or will I need to enable all the used morphs by all the figures I'm planning to use on a given scene?

You need to "to enable all the used morphs by all the figures I'm planning to use on a given scene".  However, you can load all the morphs needed for figure 1, load figure 1, load all the extra morph needed for figure 2, load figure 2, etc.  DS will happily ADD morph properties after the first figure in the scene; it just won't delete morph properties.

diogenese19348 said:

So you change the file extension to make them invisible to DAZ, then use the script to change them back in bulk.  Pretty nifty.  I'm going to throw money at you shortly.

I do have one question:  Have you considered what happens if a product gets an update that changes a morph?  It will not delete the old one, becuase it has the wrong extention, but it will install the new version, so what you would end up with is morph1.rightextention and moph1.changedextention (since I am too lazy to look up the actual extention names at the moment).

In any case, any idea what happens in that situation, or do we need to be careful about making sure the morphs are enabled before installing a product update?

It is MUCH better to enable morphs before installing an update.  However, the Overwrite Morph Action (Prefer Enabled Morph) is designed to handle your exact situation.  When you disable the new morph, the script will overwrite the disabled one.  The theory being that the disabled morph is the OLD one.

Saxa -- SD said:

Cool, it's here :)  Cool promo too lol.

Reading the product descrip have one question, just to be sure.  
    Seems automatically, that script on startup renames all morphs except G* essentials?  Or, is there not just an additive workflow, but also option for a subtractive workflow?
    As someone with a ton of morphs and many WIPs, have to figure out how much time it will take and how will work this in, before starting this script  Thks!

Daz Studio does not allow a subtractive workflow.  Your loaded morph properties stay active in the current scene until a new scene is created or loaded even if you have renamed the morphs themselves so they are not available.

edited March 2022

Nath said:

Loading Deepsea Eve before the script: 1 min 13 (with around 150 G8F characters installed)

Loading Deepsea Eve after the script: "Oh no, I forgot to check the start time, oh never mind there she is already." Say about 10 seconds max.

That is a problem; too quick to measure. wink

Now try and understand where to store configurations, how to create a base configuration with all morphs in it, and how to load that when I want to load a figure that I haven't run the script on yet. Not that something like this could ever be simple in the running, but I need to get to grips with it.

The first scan pulled in ALL morphs for all G8F (or G8M) characters.  You only need to rescan if you install new figures.  

1. Disable ALL morphs.  Click "Execute" to turn everything off. 
    2. If you want to use a character product, just load Turbo Loader, enable the morphs for that product.  Select that product in Turbo Loader and check all of its morphs, Click "Execute Selected."  It will turn on the morphs ONLY for the selected product. 
    3. "Cancel" out of Turbo Loader so it doesn't touch any other morphs. 
    4. Load figure. 
    5. You want another character?  Load Turbo Loader, select second product (with that product CHECKED). Click "Execute Selected."  It will turn on the morphs ONLY for the selected product. 
    6. "Cancel" out of Turbo Loader so it doesn't touch any other morphs. 
    Post edited by RiverSoft Art on

RiverSoftArt said:

Daz Studio does not allow a subtractive workflow.  Your loaded morph properties stay active in the current scene until a new scene is created or loaded even if you have renamed the morphs themselves so they are not available.

Sorry. Don't think I was clear enough.  Having worked lots with morphs, know both those stated DS realities well. 

To clarify more what i meant by subtractive workflow, can I use script with first all morphs enabled by default, and then slowly I turn them off as I need.  Absolutely, the morph will not be deactivated until next scene load.  Seems the script is designed on start to turn all morphs off first (except Essentials)?  And then they can be re-enabled? 

It's all good, it just means I have to approach this very differently at first.  Especially timewise.

Saxa -- SD said:

RiverSoftArt said:

Sorry. Don't think I was clear enough.  Having worked lots with morphs, know both those stated DS realities well. 

To clarify more what i meant by subtractive workflow, can I use script with first all morphs enabled by default, and then slowly I turn them off as I need.  Absolutely, the morph will not be deactivated until next scene load.  Seems the script is designed on start to turn all morphs off first (except Essentials)?  And then they can be re-enabled? 

It's all good, it just means I have to approach this very differently at first.  Especially timewise.

Ah! The *script* can support either way.  It allows you to define ENABLE morph sets (save all morphs currently checked), DISABLE morph sets (save all morphs current unchecked), or ALL morphs whether they are checked or not.  But the subtractive workflow is not the best way to use Turbo Loader and DS.

RiverSoftArt said:

Ah! The *script* can support either way.  It allows you to define ENABLE morph sets (save all morphs currently checked), DISABLE morph sets (save all morphs current unchecked), or ALL morphs whether they are checked or not.  But the subtractive workflow is not the best way to use Turbo Loader and DS.

Oh thats a relief! Thank you lots!

Totally makes sense that "additive" is safest and best.  
    Make many layered nested ERC morphs, so not worried about making my methodolgy work at all.  So nice to have options both ways!

Will buy later today and look forward to testing soon! 

Saxa -- SD said:

RiverSoftArt said:

Oh thats a relief! Thank you lots!

Totally makes sense that "additive" is safest and best.  
    Make many layered nested ERC morphs, so not worried about making my methodolgy work at all.  So nice to have options both ways!

Will buy later today and look forward to testing soon! 

Awesome!  Please post your results!

• markusmaternmarkusmatern Posts: 519
    edited March 2022

Thank you very much for the solution to unbearable loading times for large libraries smiley

And also clearing times and closing down DAZ Studio!

Your product works as intended, however on my system not a single product is recognized sad

I manually figured out the Base Morphs and so everything works, however I can't use your default sets.

And as some products share names in the last directory they get grouped together although they are different products.

Any idea what causes the unrecognized products and how to fix them?

All DAZ store products are installed using DIM. Products from other stores are installed using another of your products: Content Wizard

For the example above I reinstalled CJ8, but I didn't see any difference.

2022-03-26 14_51_09-Turbo LoaderManager.png
    868 x 310 - 95K
    2022-03-26 14_57_29-TurboLoaderManager.png
    1389 x 577 - 528K
    Post edited by markusmatern on
    edited March 2022

markusmatern said:

Thank you very much for the solution to unbearable loading times for large libraries smiley

And also clearing times and closing down DAZ Studio!

Your product works as intended, however on my system not a single product is recognized sad

That is a shame.  It is what DS reports to the script.  It seems like some systems get corrupted or something and then do not report products correctly.

I manually figured out the Base Morphs and so everything works, however I can't use your default sets.

And as some products share names in the last directory they get grouped together although they are different products.

Ah, good point.  I will change it so it is a concatenation of the 2 parent directories, which should be Vendor/Product.  That should help.

Any idea what causes the unrecognized products and how to fix them?

All DAZ store products are installed using DIM. Products from other stores are installed using another of your products: Content Wizard

Unfortunately, CW products are not recognized as products in the database function I call.  sad

For the example above I reinstalled CJ8, but I didn't see any difference.

Post edited by RiverSoft Art on
  • firewardenfirewarden Posts: 1,454
    edited March 2022

I was experimenting with MetaMixer and couldn't get it to load because I had so many products. I ended up deinstalling over 800 Gen8 characters and morph sets so that I could work with MetaMixer a bit. If I reinstall all my Genesis 8 content and use Turbo Loader to deactivate the morphs, will that affect MetaMixer if I decide to use it?

ETA: My questions are:

Will MetaMixer still load quickly or will it grab all morphs and become unusable?
    Can I tell MetaMixer somehow with Turbo Loader not to load all morphs?

Just curious. I didn't have much luck with MetaMixer working correctly, and I'm not sure I'll try to use it again. But if I decide to, I would like to know if Turbo Loader will circumvent the problem of MetaMixer grabbing every morph in the known universe and trying to load it.

Post edited by firewarden on
  • jbowlerjbowler Posts: 740

RiverSoftArt said:

Turbo Loader renames the file extension for disabled morphs so that DS cannot see them (they stay in the same directory and no new directories are created so changes to the file system directory table should be very minimal).  

It might also work to use the Windows hidden file attribute:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/openspecs/windows_protocols/ms-fscc/ca28ec38-f155-4768-81d6-4bfeb8586fc9

Qt5 respects it, I don't know about Qt4 (Qt seem to have removed the documentation :-(  In practice changing the name is probably better; it only requires a write to the directory, whereas changing file attributes requires a write to the file (the file inode on UNIX).

• pctech4nypctech4ny Posts: 163

Minimum DAZ Studio scripting version required?

For those of us who are leery of recent DS updates, what is the minimum version of DAZ Studio this script will work with?

(Basically what version did you create it with.)

Thank you.

• XornflXornfl Posts: 102

pctech4ny said:

Minimum DAZ Studio scripting version required?

For those of us who are leery of recent DS updates, what is the minimum version of DAZ Studio this script will work with?

(Basically what version did you create it with.)

Thank you.

Bought and tested on daz 4.16 pure gold

firewarden said:

I was experimenting with MetaMixer and couldn't get it to load because I had so many products. I ended up deinstalling over 800 Gen8 characters and morph sets so that I could work with MetaMixer a bit. If I reinstall all my Genesis 8 content and use Turbo Loader to deactivate the morphs, will that affect MetaMixer if I decide to use it?

ETA: My questions are:

Will MetaMixer still load quickly or will it grab all morphs and become unusable?
    Can I tell MetaMixer somehow with Turbo Loader not to load all morphs?

Just curious. I didn't have much luck with MetaMixer working correctly, and I'm not sure I'll try to use it again. But if I decide to, I would like to know if Turbo Loader will circumvent the problem of MetaMixer grabbing every morph in the known universe and trying to load it.

Sorry. I have never even tried MetaMixer.  However, if it is trying to grab morph files then Turbo Loader will definitely hide them from it.

jbowler said:

RiverSoftArt said:

Turbo Loader renames the file extension for disabled morphs so that DS cannot see them (they stay in the same directory and no new directories are created so changes to the file system directory table should be very minimal).  

It might also work to use the Windows hidden file attribute:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/openspecs/windows_protocols/ms-fscc/ca28ec38-f155-4768-81d6-4bfeb8586fc9

Qt5 respects it, I don't know about Qt4 (Qt seem to have removed the documentation :-(  In practice changing the name is probably better; it only requires a write to the directory, whereas changing file attributes requires a write to the file (the file inode on UNIX).

I didn't try with hidden file attribute, but I have a feeling it would not work.