Error initializing OpenCL kernels when using dForce

Hi there,

I have a few questions regarding to dForce initialization.

First here are some of my software and hardware info:

Daz Studio: 4.16.0.3 (64bit)

OpenCL Device (dForce): AMD Accelerated Parallel Processing gfx1030

CPU: Ryzen 5900X

GPU: Radeon 6800XT

GPU Driver: Adrenalin 21.11.3

So when I want to simulate objects using dForce, the program says I need to compile the dForce kernel (gfx1030) first, but a few seconds later it will show the error message:

"Error initializing OpenCL kernels"

And here are the errors in the log file:

2021-11-29 20:00:34.602 WARNING: ..\..\..\src\dzdynamicsengine.cpp(426): Using device: gfx1030
2021-11-29 20:00:35.577 WARNING: ..\..\..\src\dzopenclkernelfactory.cpp(499): ERROR: clBuildProgram (-11)
2021-11-29 20:00:35.577 WARNING: Source built for calcVertTriCollisionCollidePoint. Build log:

lld: error: undefined hidden symbol: find_coplanarity_times
>>> referenced by C:\Users\DMarsX\AppData\Local\Temp\comgr-17fef8\input\linked.bc.o:(calcVertTriCollisionCollidePoint)
>>> referenced by C:\Users\DMarsX\AppData\Local\Temp\comgr-17fef8\input\linked.bc.o:(calcVertTriCollisionCollidePoint)
Error: Creating the executable from LLVM IRs failed.

2021-11-29 20:00:36.630 WARNING: ..\..\..\src\dzopenclkernelfactory.cpp(499): ERROR: clBuildProgram (-11)
2021-11-29 20:00:36.630 WARNING: Source built for calcTriVertCollisionCollideFace. Build log:

>>> referenced by C:\Users\DMarsX\AppData\Local\Temp\comgr-4121d6\input\linked.bc.o:(calcTriVertCollisionCollideFace)
>>> referenced by C:\Users\DMarsX\AppData\Local\Temp\comgr-4121d6\input\linked.bc.o:(calcTriVertCollisionCollideFace)

2021-11-29 20:00:37.907 WARNING: ..\..\..\src\dzopenclkernelfactory.cpp(499): ERROR: clBuildProgram (-11)
2021-11-29 20:00:37.907 WARNING: Source built for calcEdgeCollisionCollideEdge. Build log:

>>> referenced by C:\Users\DMarsX\AppData\Local\Temp\comgr-b9c954\input\linked.bc.o:(calcEdgeCollisionCollideEdge)
>>> referenced by C:\Users\DMarsX\AppData\Local\Temp\comgr-b9c954\input\linked.bc.o:(calcEdgeCollisionCollideEdge)

2021-11-29 20:00:37.920 WARNING: ..\..\..\src\dzopenclkernelfactory.cpp(351): m_isValid = false @ dzopenclkernelfactory.h, line 118 (after loading kernel members)
2021-11-29 20:00:38.108 WARNING: ..\..\..\src\dzdynamicsengine.cpp(3625): Error initializing OpenCL!
2021-11-29 20:00:38.108 Total Simulation Time: 4.49 seconds

I've tried to roll back to a previous version of the GPU driver, but that doesn't seems to work. With Ryzen 5000 no longer supporting OpenCL, I couldn't use my CPU to simulate it either.

So I really want to know if this is a driver issue, or if the GPU is just not supported, or if it's something else.

Any insights will be helpful, thanks in advance.

Comments

• It may be driver-related, but a dForce update may also require a recompile. I don't know how to clear the kernels and force a recompile, so I think you need to contact Technical Support https://www.daz3d.com/help

• DM16DM16 Posts: 0

Richard Haseltine said:

It may be driver-related, but a dForce update may also require a recompile. I don't know how to clear the kernels and force a recompile, so I think you need to contact Technical Support https://www.daz3d.com/help

I'll give it a try, thanks. 

• a51_aliena51_alien Posts: 15
    edited December 2021

I've been having the same issue for weeks.

Kinda halted my production somewhat.

Processor: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X 12-Core Processor
    Dedicated GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6800
    Memory: 32768MB RAM

Can no longer use d-force.

Post edited by a51_alien on
  • Same problem heere. Suddently I cannot use D force any more!

• Did you ever get a solution?

I have the same hardware setup and am getting the same error even with the latest version of DAZ studio (4.20.0.2) and the very latest video drivers.

Seems to be that dForce Support for AMD GPUs has been broken. (OpenCL works perfectly outside of DAZ so it's definitely a problem with dForce, not my drivers or system.)

I have a ticket logged with support but no joy from them so far.

• Update: Forum rules prohibit me from quoting the message I had from support directly but basically the gist of the message I got from them is that numerous AMD users have reported a problem with dForce simulation and a report has been raised for the developers, but that my ticket has been closed anyway because the developers do not update support staff so they would not be able to provide me with any progress updates. Instead I was advised to keep checking the change logs for any sign of a fix.

Although the message I got says it will be looked into as soon as possible, this thread alone shows that at least some AMD users have been totally unable to use dForce for at least 6 months now.

Because of this, I find it hard to believe that people like myself who have paid for dForce assets they can no longer use properly would not have contacted support a long time ago and, like me, still be chasing them.

Hopefully, if enough people report this issue, it will make it to the top of the developer's priority list eventually and we may get more information and possibly even a fix.

• It is quite possibly a driver-related issue at some level, since it wasn't happening before. That means Daz may well be waiting on AMD before they can fix it.

• PerttiAPerttiA Posts: 9,410

Use older drivers?

• I'm still having the same problem as well

I've submmitted a ticket to see if the problem can be fixed.

I've both updated (or re-updated just to be sure) my driver to latest version (AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT), as well as rolling it back to a couple of earlier driver versions, all to no effect.

I'm really hoping this issue can be addressed, as I have a number of Dforce items that are now useless (and I certainly don't have the resources to get another Video Card.....haven't the CryptoBros bought all of them up anyway ^_^?)

• Here we are in February 2023, and this issue is not yet resolved. I get this exact same initialzation error abouit the kernel. Is there a solution I'm jsut not finding ANYWHERE on the internet?

• Open a support ticket - I think there is a way to force the kernnels to eb redone, but I can't recall the steps (if I ever knew them).

• OK, I am getting the same error you all were getting last year. Anybody find a solution?

• ohannonohannon Posts: 4

Finally! A fix for this. I can confirm that charles-holden_d8fd00bdef has a workable solution for Windows 10. I downloaded the OpenCL™ and OpenGL® Compatibility Pack - Microsoft Store Apps from the microsoft store, installed and restarted. At first I didn't think it worked, but I checked my OpenCL device options, and after I installed this pack, I gained 2 more options. My only option for the last 2 years was AMD Accelerated Parallel Processing gfx1031. Now I have OpenCLOn12 AMD Radeon RX 6700 XT and OpenCLOn12 Microsoft Basic Render Driver as new options to choose. I choose the RX 6700 option and I was able to run a Dforce simulation. Charles Holden - thanks man!

Windows 10

AMD Ryzen 5 3600 6-Core Processor  3.60 GHz

32GB of RAM

AMD Radeon RX 6700 XT

• riuken1riuken1 Posts: 128

Running windows 11, with a AMD radeon 550 and AMD  Ryzen 7 X3700 Processor. I can confirm charles-holden_d8fd00bdef Solution work, tho I not get my old AMD accelerated parallel procesing back I got 2 new option and they work just fine.