Wishlist: HD, Realistic Victorian/Edwardian/Regency Outfits

I'm sure this has been suggested many, many times but I would like to see really HD, realistically textured, historically accurate Victorian, Edwardian, etc., clothing. I do book cover art as my main job, and (like most cover artists) use Daz for many of the bodies. There aren't any really good Victorian female outfits. It would be helpful if the skirt could be tweaked manually for poses as well as being dforce, so you could sweep it to the side as though it was windy.

For this kind of work artists need:

1. Historical accuracy (authors insist on it because READERS KNOW)
2. Non-shiny material. It has to look like real cloth, not the plastic-y stuff that most male shirts are done in.
3. As non-splody as possible, haha *cries* Especially since these are oftentimes used in couple poses.
4. Variations on fanciness - everything from ballgowns to the plainer clothing that a governess might wear. Or even a street vendor, if it's realistic.
5. There are some nicely designed male Victorian outfits, but again many have very shiny cloth and you really have to work to get them to look as realistic as they need to be.

I would buy this in a heartbeat if it was available.

Comments

• felisfelis Posts: 3,647

Getting clothing you can use out-of-the-box is likely to be a challenge.

I would expect some manual work to be involved.

Be it changing the surface settings. You can get less shiny clothing if you lower glossyness, and increase roughness.

DForce clothing has limitations, as it is bad handling very dense mesh, as well as thickness, and this can affect the lack of details.

Have you tried looking at older generations clothing, as well as shops outside Daz Studio? Older generations can often be set up for partly dForce, by painting a weightmap.

• felis said:

Getting clothing you can use out-of-the-box is likely to be a challenge.

I would expect some manual work to be involved.

Be it changing the surface settings. You can get less shiny clothing if you lower glossyness, and increase roughness.

DForce clothing has limitations, as it is bad handling very dense mesh, as well as thickness, and this can affect the lack of details.

Have you tried looking at older generations clothing, as well as shops outside Daz Studio? Older generations can often be set up for partly dForce, by painting a weightmap.

Hah, it is a challenge! :) Unfortunately the older stuff won't work for photorealistic renders - there just isn't enough detail, stitching, etc., to look right. And yes, I always change the surface settings to reduce glossiness, but if the HD detail isn't there it just looks flat. I know it can be done, as there have been some gorgeous outfits: Giuro Vendetta HD, a lot of the outfits by Linday, Aeon Soul and Rhiannon. There are some gorgeous Marvelous Designer outfits, but the software is expensive.

I suppose the very dense mesh does make it difficult to drape with dforce, though. Since most of these outfits only require the skirt to drape or change (the top being reasonably static and close-fitting), perhaps something that isn't dforce but gives you a lot of options to swing and twist it manually? The skirts tend to stand out from the body, so I would think that would be fine.

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,737

That is over a century of pretty variable fashion, trying to get even one outfit for each identifiable style would be a lot of products.

• Richard Haseltine said:

That is over a century of pretty variable fashion, trying to get even one outfit for each identifiable style would be a lot of products.

It would be a lot of products, and I would buy them all. :D Seriously, just think how many books are written for these time periods? That's a ton of stock images and artwork for covers. They would definitely sell to the artists who depend on them. Look at the gorgeous costumes in Bridgerton, all of the beautiful dresses in Victorian productions (which are also used in steampunk!) - those genres are represented in books as well. I'm trying to sell this idea as hard as I can, you see.

• FSMCDesignsFSMCDesigns Posts: 12,553

ravvenkitsune said:

Richard Haseltine said:

It would be a lot of products, and I would buy them all. :D Seriously, just think how many books are written for these time periods? That's a ton of stock images and artwork for covers. They would definitely sell to the artists who depend on them. Look at the gorgeous costumes in Bridgerton, all of the beautiful dresses in Victorian productions (which are also used in steampunk!) - those genres are represented in books as well. I'm trying to sell this idea as hard as I can, you see.

yes you are, LOL. I doubt though that many of the DAZ users are your target audience, I know I would have no use for that style/genre. I am curious though, as someone that does commercial illustration and probably has specific 3D needs, wouldn't it be prudent to learn 3d modeling to help with those specific needs? I know when I need something specific I either purchase from a normal 3D store or make it myself.

Anyhoo,  I do hope a PA sees this and shares your passion for that genre. best of luck!

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,800

you can reduce glossy reflectivity and increase roughness, I do on most clothing

• FSMCDesigns said:

yes you are, LOL. I doubt though that many of the DAZ users are your target audience, I know I would have no use for that style/genre. I am curious though, as someone that does commercial illustration and probably has specific 3D needs, wouldn't it be prudent to learn 3d modeling to help with those specific needs? I know when I need something specific I either purchase from a normal 3D store or make it myself.

:D Yes, I've thought about it and it would be a great idea given time and patience. Although I have to say that the PAs that I mentioned are absolute masters at what they do, and it would take a massive amount of hubris to just say "Yeah, I could probably do that myself." It's kind of like book authors saying "Why should I pay all of that money for a professional cover, I'll bet I could go on Canva and make one just as good!" Spoiler alert: you probably can't. I know my limits. :)

• FirstBastionFirstBastion Posts: 7,317

Sometimes providing images of what you're looking for, help direct the attention of the talent.

• well im going to try this and see if that could suit your needs a little.

I just bought this recently and its quite exhaustive in the parameters and variations of shaders in cotton, wool and silk. It says business but i think there are patterns that might be quite suitable for Victorian garments.

You might want to check the video that accompanies it. Its a tad long but you can surely see the potential in it.

Here i tried a little image. I dont know what im doing yet. Like the last guy at the tables in Vegas.

also i would recommend Renderosity for shaders and clothing. so many artists who are excellent especially in that area.

2022-05-24_03h26_31.png
    1036 x 817 - 1M
    asian victorian business shaders.jpg
    1018 x 1440 - 968K
  • montrealfilmguy said:

well im going to try this and see if that could suit your needs a little.

I just bought this recently and its quite exhaustive in the parameters and variations of shaders in cotton, wool and silk. It says business but i think there are patterns that might be quite suitable for Victorian garments.

You might want to check the video that accompanies it. Its a tad long but you can surely see the potential in it.

Here i tried a little image. I dont know what im doing yet. Like the last guy at the tables in Vegas.

also i would recommend Renderosity for shaders and clothing. so many artists who are excellent especially in that area.

That turned out really nice, I love it. And yes, I buy a lot of things at Rendo. Rhiannon, for instance - such gorgeous clothing! 

• Three issues here:

1.  I think there is demand for period wardrobe.  At various points in Daz history we've seen stuff from the Regency period through to Edwardian.  I think we don't see more because the projects would be relatively time-consuming for the PAs.  Current market conditions favor churning stuff out quickly.   

2. Yes, ravvenkitsune, there are dForce explosions/catastrophes.  dForce gives us good results most of the time, but it has its share of disasters.  With the exception of skirts when the figure is seated, I still prefer old-style conforming clothes--I can generally manually adjust with sliders with equally good results faster than I can run a dForce simulation.  I don't want to build a wall of text about dForce pros and cons--I'll just say that clothing fit-and-dynamics is the area of Daz technology that I most want to see improve.

3.  Unwanted glossiness?  I'm only occasionally coming across this in new products (like that football uniform released this past winter--it looked like the player was upholstered in vinyl).  Plenty of Iray shaders available that create the look of natural-fiber textiles for both PAs and Daz consumers.    

• FSMCDesignsFSMCDesigns Posts: 12,553

rcourtri_789f4b1c6b said:

Three issues here:

1.  I think there is demand for period wardrobe.  At various points in Daz history we've seen stuff from the Regency period through to Edwardian.  I think we don't see more because the projects would be relatively time-consuming for the PAs.  Current market conditions favor churning stuff out quickly.

I feel it's more about lack of sales than development time. There are penty of complicated styles in the store and as a modeler myself, I can't see that big of a time difference if I was making a detailed sci fi outfit over a period peice. Another thing to consider, a PA has to 'want' to create a certain style, otherwise their heart isn't in it and it will show in the final design and somethijg with historical accuracy will take way longer due to the research time in getting the design right.