How do I send clothes to UE5 to use the cloth simulation?

I'm trying to get clothing sent from DS to UE5 so that I can have the clothes simulate durring character movement (I have the unofficaial bridge for DS to UE5 and so far it's working great)

but I can't seen to figure out how to get the clothes to be accepted as an asset to paint the cloth material on. I've tried sending them over as static meshes as well as skeletal meshes.

The skeletal mesh has the paint option but it just opens a new window where it wants me to select an asset and when I choose the clothing it doesn't do anything. I've also not been able to find any tutorials for UE5 and it's cloth simulation.

Can anyone help me? (Very new to UE in general)

Comments

• kaotkblisskaotkbliss Posts: 2,914

Ok, I think I got it.

First thing to note is that each material zone can set to act like cloth or not. This means that even if a model is all one piece, UE5 will treat each cloth section as differnt objects. Also, these objects are not attached to anything and will fall away unless you leave an edge unpainted.

Once material zones are reassigned (if wanted) convert the figure to prop

Send to UE5 or export FBX and select the skeletal mesh option (even though it has no bones)

import it to UE5

Open the asset and open the cloth window (Window -> Clothing

Left click on the surface you want to make cloth (it should highlight the entire material zone)

Right click and select the Create clothing section from selected -> create

Right click again and select Apply clothing data -> [the clothing surface that was created in the previous step] (Usually the object name_Clothing_incremental number starting at 0

Now you can click on the activate cloth paint above the viewport

In the cloth window, select the surface you applied the clothing data to (object_Clothing_0)

Now paint the areas of that surface you want to act like cloth, remembering to leave edges that should be attached to something unpainted so they don't move.

Next I need to see if there's some kind of settings for different cloth type

• The hardest part for me with cloth simulation is setting up the collision capsules for the character's physics asset.  If you can figure out how to create one without poke throughs and weird edges, that would be great.

• Whats intresting is how both Daz Studio and UE5 both handle character models as components built on a single framework so simular as to how attached assets can be handled. In this case a starting pont in DS to send clothing is to first establish the base figure with the nessary clothing which afterwards you can harvest the desired assets off of that framework as indavidual elements based on the export esttings when sent to UE5.

As an example lets say you have a dress you wish to send you would included it as part o the Genesis 8/3 base as normal in DS. With the desired elements in place you would then "hide" all of the verious elements that you do not wish to send leaving the base genesis hidden from view. When sending set to show the FBX dialogue box and set to not send hidden as well make sure that attach clothing is checked. WHen imported only the dress should be sent using the same base as expecte but with out the excluded elements.

In all cases the base Genesis framework needs to be selected so what you need can be harvest off of the base as to needs.