Webseries Cosmic Dawn opening

cosmicdawnseriescosmicdawnseries Posts: 191
edited May 2022 in Art Studio

Finished my cosmic dawn opening going add better text design but would love some feedback :D

https://youtu.be/vuaNA_8EM7M

Post edited by Richard Haseltine on

Comments

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,191

The Art Studio is a better place for showcasing finished work so I have moved this thread there.

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,049

Nothing there gives me any clue to what the comic is about. The video looks more like closing credits with a list of names. There is no indication what  those names are. Are they actors, graphic artists, financial backers, character names, editors?

• 3Diva3Diva Posts: 11,276

This looks AMAZING! WOW! This creates such a cool mood and gives the viewer so many great questions - like who are the stone people? How did they turn into stone? What are the magic/sprite-looking things? It all gets me super excited to check out the webseries! Wonderful intro!

• HylasHylas Posts: 4,739

Love it!

It looks like it's from a video game from the late 90es, an aesthetic I have a lot of fondness for.
    I'm also reminded of the opening credits of a lot of recent(ish) tv shows. (Black Sails, Foundation...)

Editing/cutting and camera movement are excellent and look really professional to me.

Music is ok but a bit on the generic side.

Typography is the only thing I would change, looks rather amateurish.

• Richard Haseltine said:

The Art Studio is a better place for showcasing finished work so I have moved this thread there.

thank you 

• barbult said:

Nothing there gives me any clue to what the comic is about. The video looks more like closing credits with a list of names. There is no indication what  those names are. Are they actors, graphic artists, financial backers, character names, editors?

I do understand I hope have it finished by November I would like show you more 

• FirstBastionFirstBastion Posts: 7,218

You did a great job on the Vallazar vs Tiatha fight sequence. Her movements and doging of the blade were very high quality animations. Hopefully you have those animations saved. If you are using 3Delight rendering you want to use Uber Environment  2 lighting to improve the render quality. Your very good animation sequences deserve a better lighting setup. or render in iray.

• Thank you for your kind words I am working hard I am rendering in Iray but with 3Delight shaders apart from the eyes is Iray shaders I have a good PC and I can render the characters all Iray but when you add scenes and more than one Iray model render time goes from 1-3 minutes to like 15 sometimes 30 minutes per frame and that's no good for animation xD if my dream becomes a reality have my show on Netflix's or something I think I'll maybe change software or try a better pc Daz renders take along time but they are so beautiful renders, I love the software and the shop for assests is amazing xD 

• FirstBastionFirstBastion Posts: 7,218

I also really liked you opening credit sequence, which suggests an epic adventure in a large world. . 

It is unfortunate that renders times take so long for the individual frames. The Unreal game engine may be an option for shorter production times.

• Thank you! I'm glad you like it and yes iv been told UE5 is good I'm thinking of using that after season 1 been told not to use different software between episodes xD

• SapphireBlueSapphireBlue Posts: 823

I checked out your title sequence and some of your previews. It's easy to see you've put a lot of effort and time into the animation of the sequence and the previews. Impressive dedication to the project.

Your approach to the title sequence is nicely done, keeping it simple but artistic in contemporary fashion, implying dark fantasy. A few hopefully easy-to-change suggestions would be to make the title card bigger and much more prominent in the sequence - I mistook it as the 'studio' name. If you are including cast as well as crew names, it'd be helpful to list the main crew designations with their names. The cast segment doesn't require it, but their grouping would imply that they are the voice actors. And yes, updating the typography would be a good idea. On my screen, the title sequence was rather dark, so do check it on different set-ups to see if you have to brighten the video up a bit.

• SapphireBlue said:

I checked out your title sequence and some of your previews. It's easy to see you've put a lot of effort and time into the animation of the sequence and the previews. Impressive dedication to the project.

Your approach to the title sequence is nicely done, keeping it simple but artistic in contemporary fashion, implying dark fantasy. A few hopefully easy-to-change suggestions would be to make the title card bigger and much more prominent in the sequence - I mistook it as the 'studio' name. If you are including cast as well as crew names, it'd be helpful to list the main crew designations with their names. The cast segment doesn't require it, but their grouping would imply that they are the voice actors. And yes, updating the typography would be a good idea. On my screen, the title sequence was rather dark, so do check it on different set-ups to see if you have to brighten the video up a bit.

thank you for your kind words :) I appreciate it and yes I think that would look more professional also I think, do you think it be worth putting the characters name and the actors name under it? 

• SapphireBlueSapphireBlue Posts: 823

cosmicdawnseries said:

SapphireBlue said:

thank you for your kind words :) I appreciate it and yes I think that would look more professional also I think, do you think it be worth putting the characters name and the actors name under it? 

So the way I'd approach it, is to emulate what's usually done in this genre. Generally, we see character names and actor names together in the closing credits, but not in the opening credits. Pick your favorite series in the same genre and see how they approach it, such as what typography do they use, order of cast and crew details and when the title card comes up etc. If we pick GOT's title sequence as an example, you'll see it starts with the main actors first - there's no mention of  the characters they play, but they add an indication of their house using an emblem in front of their names.

The opening credits usually only show the main characters not the supporting ones, but if your total cast is smaller and you want to acknowledge everyone in a personal project, go ahead and leave them all in. The cast is followed by the crew - animator, composer, director etc. with the main ones at the end. You had the title card up front, but it's best reserved for the end as the title sequence reaches a crescendo. That's where it really draws our attention. Cue as much as you can to follow the soundtrack, as that adds to the punch. This goes especially for the title card. Hope some of that is useful!

• cosmicdawnseriescosmicdawnseries Posts: 191
    edited June 2022

SapphireBlue said:

cosmicdawnseries said:

SapphireBlue said:

So the way I'd approach it, is to emulate what's usually done in this genre. Generally, we see character names and actor names together in the closing credits, but not in the opening credits. Pick your favorite series in the same genre and see how they approach it, such as what typography do they use, order of cast and crew details and when the title card comes up etc. If we pick GOT's title sequence as an example, you'll see it starts with the main actors first - there's no mention of  the characters they play, but they add an indication of their house using an emblem in front of their names.

The opening credits usually only show the main characters not the supporting ones, but if your total cast is smaller and you want to acknowledge everyone in a personal project, go ahead and leave them all in. The cast is followed by the crew - animator, composer, director etc. with the main ones at the end. You had the title card up front, but it's best reserved for the end as the title sequence reaches a crescendo. That's where it really draws our attention. Cue as much as you can to follow the soundtrack, as that adds to the punch. This goes especially for the title card. Hope some of that is useful!

Thank you for the advice, I'll see what I can do just right now trying to finish it :) but I hope show you all the finished production 

Post edited by Richard Haseltine on