June 2022 - Daz 3D New User Challenge - Scenes, Landscapes, and Working Modularly

New User's Challenge - June 2022

Sponsored by DAZ 3D

Are you new to the 3D World? Are you at the beginning stages of learning 3D rendering? Have you been around for a little bit but feel you could benefit from some feedback or instruction? Have you been around a while and would like to help other members start their creative journey? Well then come and join the fun as we host our newest render challenge!

New this year, we are breaking down each month into 2 different challenges. A Beginner Challenge and then also an Intermediate Challenge.

So which "Challenge" should you choose?

Follow the Beginner Challenge if you are:

• New to the New User Challenges

• New to Daz Studio

• Newer to 3D Rendering in General

• Or if you have not participated in the March Posing Challenge

Follow the Intermediate Challenge if you have:

• Participated in the New User Challenge for awhile

• Know the basics of Daz Studio and would like to learn more in-depth topics

• Been using 3D Rendering Applications for a while and feel comfortable with learning Intermediate Topics

• Or if you have already participated in the March Posing Challenge

*Please be sure to list in your post which Challenge you are participating in*

Closing date for both is June 30, 2022

For a list of the current challenge rules, please see this thread: Challenge Rules

They apply for both versions of the challenge.

Comments

• Scott LivingstonScott Livingston Posts: 4,331
    edited June 2022

Beginner Challenge - June 2022

Sponsored by DAZ 3D

Are you new to the 3D World? Are you at the beginning stages of learning 3D rendering? Have you been around for a little bit but feel you could benefit from some feedback or instruction? Have you been around awhile and would like to help other members start their creative journey? Well then come and join the fun as we host our newest render challenge!

"Scenes and Landscapes"

This month's focus will be scenes and landscapes. If you haven't noticed when you look at images made by the various 3D software some of the packages do a lot better then others in treating an expansive scene or a magnificent landscape. Ones that come to mind are software such as Bryce or Vue. Both have some built in features that make those wonderfully big expansive images come true. DAZ Studio on the other hand does not have some of these features built into it but if you know the tricks there is no reason why you can't get those same kinds of results. For this contest we will be exploring the principles of how such scenes and landscapes are built and how to control the environment to create the sense of expansiveness a scene or landscape creates for the viewer.

There are some key elements that should be considered when creating a landscape, they are the inspiration, lighting, perspective and depth of focus. I have gathered some links for you that talk about each of these elements.

Inspiration:

Photos and Art:

Landscape Photography

Landscape 3D Art

Landscape Paintings

Surreal Landscapes

Perspective and Depth of Focus:

What a Painter Considers

What a Photographer Considers

Transform 3D Renders: Part 1

http://blog.advancedphotoshop.co.uk/tutorials/transform-3d-renders-part-1/

Transform 3D Renders: Part 2

http://blog.advancedphotoshop.co.uk/tutorials/transform-3d-renders-part-2/

Bryce 7

Bryce 7 Demo Reel

Things to consider when setting up your landscape:

As stated by Jon A. Bell in his book, 3ds max 6 Killer Tips, "For more realistic outdoor scenes, especially if you're seeing a distant horizon, you should always add a slight amount of atmospheric haze.... If you look at a distant mountain range (or if you don't have one right outside your window, just grab a travel magazine or pretend), you'll notice how colors become muted and washed out with distance. You can use just a slight amount of atmospheric fog (it depends on the scale of your scene), and the colors will determine the clarity or quality of your "atmosphere." For clear outdoor settings, using a slight bit of white fog is desirable; for sunset or urban settings (where the air might be more polluted), a slight yellowish or reddish cast makes your horizons look better." In DAZ Studio you have a couple of options in getting that affect. The first would be to add just a tiny bit of Depth of Field so that the objects become a bit more blurred and muted. Another way is to have a volumetric camera that will add the fog feature to the render.

Lighting:

Approaching Realism in DAZ Studio and Gamma Correction Demystified

http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/54913/

Using HDR Files In DAZ Studio 3delight renders https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=okaYS1jeAew

http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/37753/

and for Iray

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L5FZ5gS9v50

https://thinkdrawart.com/how-i-light-my-daz-studio-iray-scenes

Handy tools for DAZ Studio ( note: these can help but are not in any way necessary):

https://www.daz3d.com/terradome-3-iray

https://www.daz3d.com/ultrascatter-advanced-instancing-for-daz-studio

https://www.daz3d.com/modular-cove-landscape-creator

https://www.daz3d.com/digital-kit-bashing--cities-landscapes-and-structures

https://www.daz3d.com/ultrascenery--realistic-landscape-system

Previous challenges and contests on the topic

https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/498816/june-2021-daz-3d-new-user-challenge-scenes-landscapes-and-working-modularly/

https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/412326/june-2020-daz-3d-new-user-challenge-scenes-landscapes-and-working-modularly

https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/253991/june-2018-daz-3d-new-user-challenge-scenes-and-landscapes/p1

https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/171661/june-2017-daz-3d-new-user-challenge-scenes-and-landscapes/p1

https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/90721/june-2016-new-user-3d-art-contest-scenes-and-landscapes-wip-thread/p1

https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/comment/832212/#Comment_832212

Bryce 7.1

Bryce Landscaping

Bryce Basics

I will be checking in as will the rest of the Community Volunteers to try and help with anything you all may need.

Post edited by Scott Livingston on
  • Intermediate Challenge:

Working Modularly

This includes kitbashing: combining elements of various products in unexpected, creative ways; and picturing items in settings other than what they were designed for. We’re looking for renders that go beyond simply using elements of a modular props or environment product (although these can certainly be incorporated into your work, and may make a good starting point). Ideally, your render should take a novel, unique, or inventive approach to using props and sets.

You don’t have to have expensive modeling software to create a unique 3D environment. Why not put a new spin on a few old products and tools?

Kitbashing Tips and Tutorials

Working modularly can be very rewarding, as it can greatly expand the possibilities of what you can do with the assets in your 3D library. I can't wait to see what you come up with!

• Alewis478Alewis478 Posts: 78
    edited June 2022

I did a year of beginner challenges and here is my first Intermediate entry:

"Snailmaid" - Everyone's heard of mermaids but...

I probably should of done something a bit more challenging as far as kitbashing goes.  This is a snail prop scalled WAY up and shoved a lady inside. Pebbles from a fishbowl set (also scaled way up) and added a thin layer of water to fill in the gaps of the pebbles. Maybe should of used more water and just let the pebbles be visible through the water. Bubbles are a little "too perfect" and don't look natural. Instanced bubbles and plants

June2023.jpg
    2560 x 1440 - 3M
    Post edited by Alewis478 on
  • LinwellyLinwelly Posts: 5,780

I love the idea Alewis478 and it's a great start, you would need to set her in a bit a better light I believe

• HLEET_3DHLEET_3D Posts: 172
    edited June 2022

Title : Looks like he spotted me :/

Beginner Challenge : Scenes and Lanscapes

software used : daz3D 
    postwork with nik collection 

hleet_3D_0073.jpg
    3840 x 2160 - 4M
    Post edited by HLEET_3D on
  • tommyskypilottommyskypilot Posts: 120
    edited June 2022

Enigma of Time

Inspired by the master of surrealism, whom we all know.

Intermediate Challenge

Used assets from several sources including 5 Daz items, simple primitives and stock photos.

The Fantastic Cliffs, Desert Depression, Magnificent Magnolia Trees, Cloudscape Creator Bare Sky HDRI and Cloudscape Creator Volumetric Clouds. Postwork used Ron's Sand brushes. Also Shaders: Paper and Writing Shaders, DD PBR Rocks, and Iray Ground and Marble.

Your comments, criticisms and remarks are always welcome! 

Thank you for viewing.

Enigma of Time

EnigmaTime1.png
    1200 x 960 - 2M
    Post edited by tommyskypilot on
  • aprilshowers2065aprilshowers2065 Posts: 699
    edited June 2022

The Horned King

Intermediate Challenge

My own take on the character; replaced the demon character's head with a skull, added the antlers from a deer skull and made the throne out of several crystal props and tweaked the textures on a lot of the props. Feedback welcome!

The Horned King.png
    1429 x 2000 - 5M
    Post edited by aprilshowers2065 on
  • katywhitekatywhite Posts: 412

HLEET_3D said:

This is very beautiful! I love the lighting, the details and the DOF just adds to it. Very nicely done. So peaceful.

tommyskypilot said:

Enigma of Time

Inspired by the master of surrealism, whom we all know.

Intermediate Challenge

Used assets from several sources including 5 Daz items, simple primitives and stock photos.

The Fantastic Cliffs, Desert Depression, Magnificent Magnolia Trees, Cloudscape Creator Bare Sky HDRI and Cloudscape Creator Volumetric Clouds. Postwork used Ron's Sand brushes. Also Shaders: Paper and Writing Shaders, DD PBR Rocks, and Iray Ground and Marble.

Your comments, criticisms and remarks are always welcome! 

Thank you for viewing.

Enigma of Time

I really like this! Hints of some sort of civilization around with all the items but without the life so it remains a bit of mystery.

My only thought is that reflective rectangular platform at the back near the water is relatively flat compared to the rest of your image. You got so much beautiful detail in your other parts of the image I'm just thinking it could benefit with a little bit more texture/colour - not sure which exactly but maybe just a tad more detail. Not too much though so we remain focused on the foreground.

aprilshowers2065 said:

The Horned King

Intermediate Challenge

My own take on the character; replaced the demon character's head with a skull, added the antlers from a deer skull and made the throne out of several crystal props and tweaked the textures on a lot of the props. Feedback welcome!

Very neat character! I like your take on this. Lighting turned out nicely too :)

edited June 2022

Title: Battle Over Alien Waters

Caption: Too preoccupied by fighting each other, the boat just continued to propel itself towards the dock, with no signs of slowing.

Software: Daz 3D

Challenge: Intermediate

The background scene is the Pirates cove with different textures to make it more like an alien planet. The boat I altered the textures by using shaders; I added engines using guns from the Galactic Racer Motorcycle but with altered textures using geometry editor to add new surfaces and change the textures. I used a fire volumetric to propel the boat. I altered the textures of the water and water splash props with a default shader 'flint glass' to give an alien liquid look. I also combined a few outfits together (and characters) to make these aliens.

Feedback is welcome!

Modular Sci Fi Pirate.png
    2000 x 2000 - 6M
    Post edited by katywhite on
  • FettbemmeFettbemme Posts: 78

HLEET_3D said:

very nice render 

• katywhite said:

Very neat character! I like your take on this. Lighting turned out nicely too :)

Thank you! laugh 

edited June 2022

Title: Keys on the Table

Here is my second entry. I built the keys, key ring and key chain out of various items including clocks, markers, rope, plushie, and a sign. I used different metal shaders to make it like a key and played with scaling.

Feedback appreciated!

Modular Keys.png
    2000 x 2000 - 6M
    Post edited by katywhite on
  • aprilshowers2065aprilshowers2065 Posts: 699
    edited June 2022

Puppy Eyes

Second intermediate entry. The banana split and bowl were cobbled together from 5 different food sets, the placemat is a rescaled carpet, the salt and pepper shakers are retextured chicks with the legs hidden and I made her hair clip by combining a clip from a different hair set, the head of a lotus and a bumblebee. Feedback welcome!

Puppy Eyes.png
    1667 x 2000 - 6M
    Post edited by aprilshowers2065 on
  • Alias52Alias52 Posts: 283

Nice entries so far, folks. Been a bit distracted with the June Sale competition. Will have to try to get some inspiration to join in!

• shack5876shack5876 Posts: 4

Intermediate Challenge: New interpretation of Lord Ganesha

Composed and rendered in DAZ 3D

Lord Ganesha is seen here nor as a pudgy little boy with a cute elephant head. Here he is a powerful adult.

The image uses the elebeast body w the colossadon head modified to remove the lower tusks. He wears the Hanfu robes, holds the Wise Wizard long necklace, and holds the Bone Conjuror staff. The background is the No-Ai wall.

Interpretation of Lord Ganesha.png
    1029 x 1200 - 2M
  • VexillusVexillus Posts: 28
    edited June 2022

Title: The Reaper Cometh

Noteworthy Products used:

Supreme Intelligence HD for Genesis 8 Male (head used as the crystalline head)
    Demon HD for Genesis 8 Male (for the statues)
    Crystal Matrix: Modular Architecture (for the interface)
    Pharaonic Relics (for the artificial moonlet)
    IDG Iray FX - Props and Shaders (for the 'galactic display' on the interface, the 'starfield' surface on the Reaper, the surfaces on the artificial moonlet)
    VYK Shader Basics-Jewelry and More (for rock/stone surfaces on the statues and the ruins behind, the Reaper's 'gem' eyes and the 'moonstone' crystalline head)
    DG Iray Deco Metal Shaders (for the interface)
    Dark Matter Shaders (for the crystalline head's eyes and to shade a spherical assymetrically scaled primitive inside the crystalline head to produce the purplish/blue plasma)
    Note: Other products were used but these are the most relevant to explain why the entry should qualify for the Intermediate challenge.

June 2022 competition - The Reaper cometh.jpg
    3840 x 2160 - 5M
    Post edited by Vexillus on
  • edited June 2022

I used the props from Albert Mansion for this image.  I enlarged the skulls for the angel to sit on.

ensley test 5.jpg
    3000 x 1688 - 784K
    Post edited by Tangled up with Ink on
  • Beginner Challenge

I used the props from Albert Mansion for this image.  I enlarged the skulls for the angel to sit on.

• perlkperlk Posts: 840
    edited June 2022

The Wild

Intermediate challenge

I primarily kitbashed West Park, Etheriel's Bower (imported from Poser), Curious Pass (also imported from Poser), and The Magical Path. I edited them to remove numerous polygons from the Geometries tool. Also I created an opacity map for the back wall.The animals are Poser animals, too. 

I do have one question. I used the opacity map for the back wall because I am guessing this particular model I couldn't select multiple polygons on the back wall because it is a single polygon plane. But in creating the opacity map, I couldn't then shine the spotlight through the opening in the wall because even though it looks like a crack, it's a solid object. I made it work by coming in through the side, but in the future, would I need to open the plane in a modeling program to add more polygons so I could then hide them? (I realize this sounds like it doesn't make sense, so let me know if you need clarificationlaugh)

thewild.png
    1500 x 843 - 2M
    Post edited by perlk on
  • @perlk, you could do that, although since it's just a plane, you could probably cheat by hiding the wall and replacing it with a primitive plane of whatever number polygons you need and using the same textures on it. Would probably be easier to see how many polygons you do need to make a realistic looking crack, as well. 

aprilshowers2065 said:

@perlk, you could do that, although since it's just a plane, you could probably cheat by hiding the wall and replacing it with a primitive plane of whatever number polygons you need and using the same textures on it. Would probably be easier to see how many polygons you do need to make a realistic looking crack, as well. 

Oh, I didn't even think of creating a new primitive. Thanks for the tip! 

edited June 2022

The Wild

Intermediate challenge

I primarily kitbashed West Park, Etheriel's Bower (imported from Poser), Curious Pass (also imported from Poser), and The Magical Path. I edited them to remove numerous polygons from the Geometries tool. Also I created an opacity map for the back wall.The animals are Poser animals, too. 

Thanks @aprilshowers2065 - that was the ticket. I kept the light where it was, but I created a new plane and put a more realistic crack by hiding polygons using the Geometry tool. I think it looks much better now. 

Final entry, since I'm going on vacation tomorrow :-)

thewild.png
    1500 x 843 - 2M
    Post edited by perlk on
  • Yeah! Glad it worked, @perlk laugh

• SapphireBlueSapphireBlue Posts: 823

I didn't have time with the madness of the DAZ+ sale to attempt an entry for this challenge, but I've enjoyed catching up on the variety of entries posted. Great work!

• June 2022

Showcased Participants for the June Scenes and Landscapes Challenge

Composition by Tangled up with Ink

Composition by Tangled up with Ink

I was impressed with how the artist made use of props from one set to create a very different environment!

Composition by HLEET_3D

Composition by HLEET_3D

Beautiful composition and framing!

Showcased Participants for the June Working Modularly Challenge

Composition by tommyskypilot

Composition by tommyskypilot
    Nice homage; creative use of props, primitives, and stock images. 

Composition by shack5876

Inventive and original interpretation--effective combination of various products and items.

Composition by vpzammit

Composition by vpzammit

Very cool kitbash and nice use of shaders.

Thank you and congratulations to all who participated!

• Congrats to the winners!

• Congratulations to all of the winners.

• Awesome,congratulations to everyone who participated.