RTX 3090 IRAY question?

Mercblue22Mercblue22 Posts: 116
edited June 2022 in Daz Studio Discussion

Hello guys,

I recently purchased a Nvidia Geforce RTX 3090 24GB GFX card online and was looking forward to it as I saw how quickly scenes rendered for people who owned 3090 cards on Youtube. I used to have a 3060 so I was expecting things to render much quicker in DAZStudio, to be honest. But, when I installed it, nothing seemed to change as I was still rendering 1-2 G8F, fully clothed characters, including hair in a single scene (with HDRI backgrounds) no different then they did with my old 3060. I don't know if it because I don't have enough RAM to making such renders go quicker (my 3060 could render a scene using HDRI backgrounds in 5-10 mins, the 3090 seems to be the same) I have 32GBs of DDR4 RAM, (but only 16RAM is being registered in the device manager) I also have an AMD Ryzen 5 2600+ Six Core CPU and a 850W PSU. Can anyone tell me if my system is outdated for such a card or am I expecting too much from the 3090?

Thanks you for your time everyone, have a great day!

Post edited by Mercblue22 on

Comments

• nicsttnicstt Posts: 11,714

Are you sure it's being used?

Can you share your scene, share one that others will have - make it with default G8 for example; I'll see how quickly mine renders it.

• Mercblue22Mercblue22 Posts: 116
    edited June 2022

Thank you for the reply nicstt, I appreciate it. I rendered a very basic test render of 1 G8F female character since I don't know which of the actual items that I use in my scenes that you own. So, here we have a basic G8F figure with the casual basic wear and toulouse hair that you can find with the G8F essentials starter here at DAZ. I also used a free HDRI that I downloaded at HDRI Haven as well, (balfast farmhouse-4k) I also set the render settings at 3820x3056 and it rendered pretty quickly, 1 min and 19 seconds which I think is pretty fast for a basic G8F like this. Should it render faster in your opinion nicstt?

Test Pic 1.jpg
    3820 x 3056 - 939K
  • until I figure out why I can't post pictures can't share the image. 
    But a 4kx2k image lit by the emisive streetlights and a couple light fixtures inside my cafe model 
    And 4 G8 figures with outfits and duprees cat feet and hands and tails and ears 
    skies of iradience 
    ---
    2022-06-19 05:25:32.303 Total Rendering Time: 18 minutes 29.25 seconds on a 12g titan X. stopped at 1000.samples. 
    tryed to use the gallery but no luck. 

• marblemarble Posts: 7,449

Mercblue22 said:

Thank you for the reply nicstt, I appreciate it. I rendered a very basic test render of 1 G8F female character since I don't know which of the actual items that I use in my scenes that you own. So, here we have a basic G8F figure with the casual basic wear and toulouse hair that you can find with the G8F essentials starter here at DAZ. I also used a free HDRI that I downloaded at HDRI Haven as well, (balfast farmhouse-4k) I also set the render settings at 3820x3056 and it rendered pretty quickly, 1 min and 19 seconds which I think is pretty fast for a basic G8F like this. Should it render faster in your opinion nicstt?

I have a 3090 and that scene would probably render in about 30 sec ... oh wait, I see your render size is more than twice as large as my usual render size so your render time is probably about right. I find some things slow down renders significantly even with a 3090. One of those is emissive surfaces - especially Ghost Lights which I try to avoid these days. I try to stick with HDRi environment lighting and DAZ spotlights if necessary (which they usually are for indoor scenes).

edited June 2022

Thank you for the reply Marble, I really appreciate it. That is interesting that yours would take 30 seconds to render, but yes, the size of my pictures probably has a lot to do with them being 1min and 19 seconds. (I am connected to a '65 TV so I like my pictures to look as big as the TV) And, I kind of figured it was the huge render size that was the reason my renders were slow. I forgot to mention that I also increase the size of the progressive rendering options such as:

Max Samples-10000

Max Time (sec)-15000

Render Quality-10

Rendering Converge Ratio-99%

(the rest of the options are in default)

I raised these so that it gives extra time for my renders to finish without pixation within the G8F characters. Most times I don't have to let it complete for this to occur as at 80-90% the render is finished, which with 1-2 G8F figures and a HDRI background can take between 10-15 mins. Now, if I add a full scene with building, my 3060 would take 5 1/2 hrs to render in full. I have not tested a full scene yet on my 3090 card, I would hope it would be a lot less, but I have to test such a scene overnight. (that is when I let my really extensive scenes render)

Thanks again and I hope this helps everyone understand what I am doing in DAZStudio with my 3090 card.

• prixatprixat Posts: 1,585

Isn't setting the render quality at 10 like asking Iray to do 100 times the calculations per pixel?

edited June 2022

Thank you for the reply prixat, yes, I know that it seems overkill,doesn't it? I am not sure where I got the number 10 as far as render quality goes, maybe it was trial and error on my part. Most clips that I have seen on YouTube state that setting RQ to 1 is more then enough to render a scene. When I left everything at default settings and rendered in the past with my 3060, I did notice a dramatic increase in render speed. I will definitely try using RQ 1 with the 3090 and see how quickly the scene with 1-2 fully clothed G8Fs and HDRI background now renders.

Thanks again for pointing this out to me prixat, I apppreciate it!

• nicsttnicstt Posts: 11,714

That scene takes about 30 seconds; it uses the 4k belfast hdri you stated, and I have it close to set as you had it, although the G8F (generic and original) is scaled differently.

duf
    duf
    Test Scene.duf