[Released] Traffic Patterns Script and Prop collection

TotteTotte Posts: 13,473
edited August 2022 in Daz PA Commercial Products

https://www.daz3d.com/traffic-patterns-script-and-prop-collection

This is s cooperative work between me and Lyrra. Thread requested by Artini.

Post edited by Totte on

Comments

• ArtiniArtini Posts: 8,528

Thank you, for creating this thread.

Is it possible to attach the traffic to UltraSceneryXT terrains or any other environments?

How many polygons Daz Studio will handle?

Very nice promo images - especially with animals.

• TotteTotte Posts: 13,473

Artini said:

Thank you, for creating this thread.

Is it possible to attach the traffic to UltraSceneryXT terrains or any other environments?

Depend on what you mean with attach? The TP Controller can be adjusted, but it does not have any "follow ground abilities" if that is what you are asking for.

How many polygons Daz Studio will handle?

Depends on your RAM, but I recommend using low poly / low res things for this as you can quickly end up in low memory conditions. I did try use low res skeletons fully equipped but ten of those and DS on my 64GB RAM machine started to be unusable. 

Very nice promo images - especially with animals.

Thanks, we wanted to show that the script can do much more than just vehicles. 

• Lyrra MadrilLyrra Madril Posts: 241
    edited August 2022

The controller prop is a long 'chain' of spheres (that do not render).  The script parents one vehicle to each ball, but you can parent things manually if you prefer.   So you can pose the whole line of vehicles at once to go around a curve or on a slope, but you can also rotate each ball separately to bend the traffic around corners, or select a single vehicle to rotate it so you have a car pulling out of traffic leaving the rest of the line intact.  You can also move every ball on the xyz axis, and every parented vehicle, so it is posisble to adjust to most terrains and fine tune spacing between vehicles. 

Now if you want a flock or herd of vehicles or creatures NOT in a single file line, you should look at the product Flockit

Post edited by Lyrra Madril on

Thanks a lot for the answers.

Ideally it will be to have some follow ground abilities,

but maybe making the adjustments will be sufficient.

I will need to make some tests myself, then.

Just realized, that I have already purchased https://www.daz3d.com/flockit

but have not explored it yet.

What is the difference between Flockit and Traffic Patterns Script?

edited August 2022

Artini said:

Thanks a lot for the answers.

Ideally it will be to have some follow ground abilities,

Ground follow is hard, do it for an item added to a bone of another item and also adjust all possible bones (figuring out what leg/wheel/jetengine-left) etc is in a figure is impossible.

but maybe making the adjustments will be sufficient.

I will need to make some tests myself, then.

Post edited by Totte on

Artini said:

Just realized, that I have already purchased https://www.daz3d.com/flockit

but have not explored it yet.

What is the difference between Flockit and Traffic Patterns Script?

Flockit is more a flock of something, no possible adding poses/materials etc on a per item basis. Flockit is for many identical items that you want to move or pose as a group (move them individually wth one slider, or even flockit flockIts in a flockit. Traffic Patterns are much different in what it does.

• alamo4alamo4 Posts: 46

Very interesting product!  

What are the sources of the low poly animals and the horses and carriages?

alamo4 said:

Very interesting product!  

What are the sources of the low poly animals and the horses and carriages?

They are in  the Daz Store (mosty by Predatron)  

• The horses I used are a mix of an old poser model and the LowPoly Horse here. The carriages are from the various Vintage Carriages set - NOT low poly so be craeful. But I reshaded with MattyManx's Resources Savers and used the Scene Optimiser dcript to compress some textures further inside DS.  The fella driving the carriages is Lorenzo Lores.

The trick to setting up carriages in Traffic Pools - your 'car' is the horse. I set up a naked horse first in a carpool with all its poses as addon1 and coats as color options.

For the carriages setup -  In DS I loaded each carriage and driver in and parented driver to carriage, carriage to harness and harness to horse.  Then with the horse selected I saved a wearable preset for each carriage including tack, carriage, driver and all.  I also made color options for carriages and drivers and saved them as hmats.   This takes some time and messing around.  I probably should have also made lanterns on and off options, but I forgot.

Then in Carpool I started with the horse I already had set up and made a new traffic pool with it - then added just one carriage as an addon.  Then I could load color options for the carriage and driver and saved.  To make the next carriage I copied the horse again and repeated this for every carriage and wagon I set up.

So yes, this is a little setup intensive, but now that I've built my carpool I can generate random victorian traffic all I like, and slowly add more horses and carriages and whatnot to my carpool collection. 

I really wanted to show the flexibility of this tool setup - modern traffic, animals, completely customised traffic, all cop cars, whatever.  It's really flexible.  I also managed to jam 80+ lowpoly cars into one scene and it rendered fairly quickly :)  

I've attached another view of hte same scene

victorian street traffic_OVS Camera 02.png
    2000 x 2600 - 8M

Is it possible to place objects on the curve (like in promo with the pigs)

or the props are always placed in line (one after another)?

• The vehicles get generated by the script and each one parented to one of the balls of the control rig.  If you look at the left side of the image I've attached you can see the control rig.  It is 20 balls attached in a long chain, like beads on a string.  Once the props are parented to each ball you can bend the whole control rig and the props follow along with their control ball.    So yes they start out in a striight line, but the whole point of the control rig is to be able to move and arrange all 20 vehicles with one control rig.

Every promo for this set was made using the control rig, so yes. Curves, spirals, hills, corners, all super simple to move your traffic around.  If you look at the desert chase scene image you can see the cop cars follow the curve of the road (Roads n Rails addon for Terradome 3)  After the 20 cop cars were generated I used the controller to bend the line of cop cars to follow the curved road.  That was the fastest part of the whole image!

Popup_05.jpg
    2600 x 2000 - 353K
    edited August 2022

Could not find in control rig, anything else, than "Compact".

Where these curves, spirals are located?

tpc02.jpg
    1649 x 1109 - 306K
    Post edited by Artini on
    edited August 2022

Ok, got it. One need to choose one of the balls to change bending, twisting or side-side.

Below is my experiment...

pigs02pic10.jpg
    1000 x 1200 - 443K
    Post edited by Artini on
  • MarcCCTxMarcCCTx Posts: 909

I'm trying to make a ring of cars with them all facing in (lights on). I duplicated the Sedan Car Pool and turned the car 90 degrees and saved. It has been saving for over 2 hours. How long should it take?

MarcCCTx said:

I'm trying to make a ring of cars with them all facing in (lights on). I duplicated the Sedan Car Pool and turned the car 90 degrees and saved. It has been saving for over 2 hours. How long should it take?

It's instant, then you should se the new carpool in the Car Pools menu. If not, something did go terrible wrong. If it did go terribly wrong, first question is "How did you install? DIM, DAZCentral or DAZConnect?"

• I will say straight away that this is not something that I am likely to need (will try hard). But.. the lateral thinking and imagination needed to think up this idea in the first place is absolutely awesome. It's off the wall ideas like the concept behind the product that are so hard to come by. Implementation is usually a matter of slogging through the processes, but the first idea is where the brilliance shines through. Can I say how impressed I am? Regards, Richard.
    edited August 2022

Still do not know, how to automate making rings, spirals and so on.
    If somebody knows, please post some how to steps. Thanks in advance.
    I wonder, if we got the latest version of the TP script,
    or maybe Lyrra Madril use another one.
    I could not save the duplicated preset for TP Car Pool with edited pose for objects.
    It ended up, that I have edited all placements, one by one.
    I would like to see more dials in Traffic Patterns Controller prop,
    like the "Compact" dial - very useful.
    Anyway, below is my attempt to create half ring with the cars with lights turned on.

Cars01pic03.jpg
    1920 x 1200 - 670K
    Post edited by Artini on

A quick video on Duplicate CarPool.

edited August 2022

Thanks for the video.

I get an error, when I try to save after changing the pose - see below.

Post edited by Artini on
    edited August 2022

I can create and save my own car pools, but cannot save duplicated ones, after changing the pose.

err00.jpg
    846 x 567 - 114K
    Post edited by Artini on
  • Artini said:

Still do not know, how to automate making rings, spirals and so on.
    If somebody knows, please post some how to steps. Thanks in advance.
    I wonder, if we got the latest version of the TP script,
    or maybe Lyrra Madril use another one.
    I could not save the duplicated preset for TP Car Pool with edited pose for objects.
    It ended up, that I have edited all placements, one by one.
    I would like to see more dials in Traffic Patterns Controller prop,
    like the "Compact" dial - very useful.
    Anyway, below is my attempt to create half ring with the cars with lights turned on.

Very nice image, Artini! I don't have the product yet, but if you want to curve the whole thing at once, I think the standard method of expanding all bones from the controller, selecting all bones at once in the parameters pane, and moving the rotate slider in the same pane will do about the same as a dedicated Bend dial for the whole thing, so curves, circles, and spirals should be easy to do and you can further tweak them by just selecting the bones you want. Sorry if the suggestion is obvious and something you already knew; Daz's lack of a manual makes knowing what is or isn't common sense a struggle.

Artini said:

I can create and save my own car pools, but cannot save duplicated ones, after changing the pose.

Check your PMs. 

edited August 2022

Thanks a lot, @Uthgard.

I have tested to choose all nodes before, but somehow, it did not work, as expected.

Now, I have choosen to expand all nodes of the TPC prop and it worked.

Another example render below.

Cars02pic07.jpg
    1920 x 1200 - 848K
    Post edited by Artini on

Totte said:

Artini said:

Check your PMs. 

I will test it.

Actually after closing Daz Studio and opening it again with the duplicated Car Pool,

and changed the pose script starts to saving without an error, but it already passed 7 minutes

and it has not finished.... so I ended Daz Studio task from the Task Manager.

• If I made a dial to rotate all items at once it can cause the amount of rotation to be limited or other issues.  The generally accepted method for all long string rigged items (ropes, chains, Traffic Patterns Controller) is to select all the nodes of the item and adjust the rotation of all of them at once  as Uthgard explained above.  You can also select just specific nodes and adjust their rotation to bend the whole string after them.

I included a single dial to adjust the spacing of the nodes, sicne that is not as easily done.

I don't know why its so nice to see working headlights, but it is  lol  

edited August 2022

Thamks for the explanation, @Lyrra Madril. Got it.

And the working headlights, you know, is very nice to render and see them afterwards laugh

Post edited by Artini on
  • Any chance of a random driver update? Always a driver and occasionally a passenger. Basically head, hair and shoulders, shouldn't increase the poly-count too much.

MarcCCTx said:

Any chance of a random driver update? Always a driver and occasionally a passenger. Basically head, hair and shoulders, shouldn't increase the poly-count too much.

You can do it yourself. Create a low poly driver and a low poly passenger, and  save as prop with parenting to each vehicle, then set that as Extra 1 foe the driver, and Extra 2 for the passenger, having an empty one in the mix for  Extra 2

• So I'm close, but all the guys are in the first car.

I suspect I'm doing "save as prop with parenting to each vehicle" wrong. When I tried to save with the figure parented to the sedan, I got a bunch of extra sedans (all in the first position), I got rid of that but how do I distribute the figures.

"Sigh!" Yes, these are crappy figures, but they're something to work with.

driver.jpg
    300 x 169 - 24K