[Released] Legacy Set Converter * Commercial *

TotteTotte Posts: 13,473
edited September 2022 in Daz PA Commercial Products

It's Here: https://www.daz3d.com/legacy-set-converter

Hello again!
I told you I had more coming your way.
Soon to be released: Legacy Set Converter - Convert static and rigged props from .daz / .pp2 / .ppz / .cr2 & .crz to .duf fornat. Sorry, no clothes of people. They might work, but are not supported as they will need weight maps painted to work correctly, but you can see that as homework.

Post edited by Totte on

Comments

• That is a clever idea. That would then mean I can ditch my Poser CR2 and PP2 files for those items. That would be good. My Poser content is a mess, and being able to get rid of some of it would be useful, not to mention the fact I'd see it more often. 

One question, is there an auto application of the DAZ Uber shader to it all, or is that (as I suspect) a bit too much?

Regards,

Richard

• TotteTotte Posts: 13,473

richardandtracy said:

That is a clever idea. That would then mean I can ditch my Poser CR2 and PP2 files for those items. That would be good. My Poser content is a mess, and being able to get rid of some of it would be useful, not to mention the fact I'd see it more often. 

One question, is there an auto application of the DAZ Uber shader to it all, or is that (as I suspect) a bit too much?

Regards,

Richard

Hi, no shader settings, but you can convert a ton of props in one run, for example grab all chairs or tables or swords, then store the converted items into the same folder in the DAZ content hierarchy, or put tables and chairs in one place, swords in another. There is a load of flexibility how and where you want the results. 

• carrie58carrie58 Posts: 3,949
    edited September 2022

Totte said:

richardandtracy said:

That is a clever idea. That would then mean I can ditch my Poser CR2 and PP2 files for those items. That would be good. My Poser content is a mess, and being able to get rid of some of it would be useful, not to mention the fact I'd see it more often. 

Regards,

Richard

Hi, no shader settings, but you can convert a ton of props in one run, for example grab all chairs or tables or swords, then store the converted items into the same folder in the DAZ content hierarchy, or put tables and chairs in one place, swords in another. There is a load of flexibility how and where you want the results. 

So basically this would mean instead of having to go to the Poser runtime folder for all those legacy things( no I don't use smart content) I can have them in the DAZ content folders ........will it also covert the material files to duf's? .....oooohh just had a thought will it work on hair? I know you said it won't work on figures or clothes buttttttt ,I have to ask ........

yeah I've been slloooowwwllyyy working at doing this one item at at time it's gonna be an instant buy

Post edited by carrie58 on
  • carrie58 said:

So basically this would mean instead of having to go to the Poser runtime folder for all those legacy things( no I don't use smart content) I can have them in the DAZ content folders ........will it also covert the material files to duf's? .....oooohh just had a thought will it work on hair? I know you said it won't work on figures or clothes buttttttt ,I have to ask ........

Material files don't have mesh, so no, that won't convert. Hair falls under the same category as figures and clothing. It might do, if the hair is a prop (I haven't tried it myself).

DoctorJellybean said:

carrie58 said:

Material files don't have mesh, so no, that won't convert. Hair falls under the same category as figures and clothing. It might do, if the hair is a prop (I haven't tried it myself).

okay just had to ask ,still instant buy

• carrie58 said:

DoctorJellybean said:

carrie58 said:

okay just had to ask ,still instant buy

Ok, I quickly tried Portia Hair (.daz format), and it converted.

• PendraiaPendraia Posts: 3,591

DoctorJellybean said:

carrie58 said:

So this would still have to be done by hand? 

Pendraia said:

DoctorJellybean said:

carrie58 said:

So this would still have to be done by hand? 

I'm gonna say yup ,but on the plus side I want to adjust the 3DL materials any way or iRay to 3DL

• HavosHavos Posts: 5,294

I real shame this will not convert the pz2 material files to duf, as that is what I wanted the most. I would not have cared if they remained with the default shader, but just being able to apply them via the DS content library tab would have been great. I have converted a lot of older hair to G8, and being able to store the hair shaders in the same directory as the duf for the converted item would have been very helpful.

Havos said:

I real shame this will not convert the pz2 material files to duf, as that is what I wanted the most. I would not have cared if they remained with the default shader, but just being able to apply them via the DS content library tab would have been great. I have converted a lot of older hair to G8, and being able to store the hair shaders in the same directory as the duf for the converted item would have been very helpful.

As pz2 files as a starter are not really materials, but poses, the use of them to set matrials is and has always been, a clever hack. 
    Whan I saw it the user interface nightmare defining which .pz2 files for which .cr2/.pp2 that are to be applied to be converted without ending up with a ton of "materials" that does nothing was the were really poses or morph injectors, not marerial settings at all i kind of back off the whole idea.

• JOdelJOdel Posts: 6,246

Heh! I'm more likely to use the Poserr versions of things. A pity it doesn't convert in the other direction. 

JOdel said:

Heh! I'm more likely to use the Poserr versions of things. A pity it doesn't convert in the other direction. 

Ken has a thread about scripts that convert dufs over at hivewire. 

• ArtiniArtini Posts: 8,528

So to change materials of the converted props, one still need to go to Poser folders

or how is it done?

Artini said:

So to change materials of the converted props, one still need to go to Poser folders

or how is it done?

Yes, you still need to apply the Poser Materials.
    I will look into a material converter, but as I said, a user interface nightmare due to the fact that the way the pz2 mats are organized it is so easy to make mistakes setting up the conversersion, which will render useless mat files in the end.

• richardandtracy said:

Regards,

Richard

But, if you don't want to mess with the original Poser materials and shaders, once the props have been coverted to .duf format, you can apply the Daz iRay Uber Shader and use iRay shaders... correct? 

Above, Richard asked if your script could have an addition made to automaically apply the Daz iRay Uber Shader to all converted props?

robertswww said:

richardandtracy said:

Regards,

Richard

But, if you don't want to mess with the original Poser materials and shaders, once the props have been coverted to .duf format, you can apply the Daz iRay Uber Shader and use iRay shaders... correct? 

Above, Richard asked if your script could have an addition made to automaically apply the Daz iRay Uber Shader to all converted props?

It does not apply the shader, mostly because it requires so much more than just apply shader to get it look anything like what is intended (liek for example Posers glossy param is inverted compared to DS.

But I'm working on  a Poser Mat Converter that hopefully will even be able to rudimentary convert poser mc5 & mc6 matertials.

• Totte said:

robertswww said:

richardandtracy said:

Regards,

Richard

It does not apply the shader, mostly because it requires so much more than just apply shader to get it look anything like what is intended (liek for example Posers glossy param is inverted compared to DS.

But I'm working on  a Poser Mat Converter that hopefully will even be able to rudimentary convert poser mc5 & mc6 matertials.

Excellent! Thank you @Totte for your cool conversion scripts! Legacy Set Converter is already in my Cart, and I'll be on the lookout for the Poser Mat Converter! 

Yup yup bought it now to play

Artini said:

or how is it done?

If you use categories it's a simple matter of creating a category from the folder and put them where you put the new props. This can be done by right clicking on the folder with the mats.

I have mine set up so all my Dawn stuff is together both poser and ds. It's easier to find that way. I use a lot of pose files that are poser. 

Totte said:

robertswww said:

richardandtracy said:

Regards,

Richard

That would be great also! Any chance of creating a converter for poses from poser to ds? I used to use the script to fix the hand and feet but it no longer seems to work. I use a lot of older poses and I'm dreading converting them to duf.

edited September 2022

Pendraia said:

Totte said:

robertswww said:

richardandtracy said:

Regards,

Richard

That would be great also! Any chance of creating a converter for poses from poser to ds? I used to use the script to fix the hand and feet but it no longer seems to work. I use a lot of older poses and I'm dreading converting them to duf.

@Pendraia Actually  there is a converter for Figure Poses from poser to .duf's by DraagonStorm

https://www.daz3d.com/batch-convert-gen4-poses-to-duf-format

Sorry Totte for going off topic....

Post edited by carrie58 on
  • alan bard newcomeralan bard newcomer Posts: 2,100
    edited September 2022

I have my content installed in multiple folders by type that I use as directories
    I want to run the conversion and just have them dumped into the original folder as a default
    computers are for lazy people.. they do the work and I don't really want to hand target every conversion or haul them back to the original folder from a universal destination. 
    would it take much code to just make the conversions move from the poser directory in a folder into the daz directory in the same folder?
    ===
    actually the ultimate would be to just point in at a directory say start and got to bed and wake up in the morning with converted stuff. 

Post edited by alan bard newcomer on

carrie58 said:

Pendraia said:

Totte said:

robertswww said:

richardandtracy said:

Regards,

Richard

@Pendraia Actually  there is a converter for Figure Poses from poser to .duf's by DraagonStorm

https://www.daz3d.com/batch-convert-gen4-poses-to-duf-format

Sorry Totte for going off topic....

thanks Carrie!

Sorry to take your thread off topic Totte!

Pendraia said:

Artini said:

or how is it done?

If you use categories it's a simple matter of creating a category from the folder and put them where you put the new props. This can be done by right clicking on the folder with the mats.

I have mine set up so all my Dawn stuff is together both poser and ds. It's easier to find that way. I use a lot of pose files that are poser. 

Ok, thanks for a good tip.

• Artini said:

or how is it done?

any time I have converted poser props by bringing them into daz and saving in daz as a duf... I usually just put new shaders on with the surface tab. 
    I suppose if there was an item that just had a killer texture you could still do the same ... in fact if you use surfaces click on the diffuse one and then click browse it should take you to the folder with the original surface?
    If fact if it comes in with the poser surface etc.. 
    then just use the  iray uber shader to converter them 
    I have a copy of the shader at the top level of my iray folder  

iray shader.jpg
    252 x 282 - 28K
  • The converter manual says "you should be using Daz Studio 4.20.1.62 or newer" so for the first time I checked my version and saw I'm on 4.20.0.17.  I have the DazCentral automatic update toggle turned on so I kinda expected the version to update automatically.  Is there a way to force an update?

• arrjee said:

The converter manual says "you should be using Daz Studio 4.20.1.62 or newer" so for the first time I checked my version and saw I'm on 4.20.0.17.  I have the DazCentral automatic update toggle turned on so I kinda expected the version to update automatically.  Is there a way to force an update?

4.20.1.62 or newer is only required to convert without manually confirming a dialog box, otherwise it works just fine. You'll have to wait for the next Public Beta, but that's the only difference.

• HavosHavos Posts: 5,294

Totte said:

Havos said:

As pz2 files as a starter are not really materials, but poses, the use of them to set matrials is and has always been, a clever hack. 
    Whan I saw it the user interface nightmare defining which .pz2 files for which .cr2/.pp2 that are to be applied to be converted without ending up with a ton of "materials" that does nothing was the were really poses or morph injectors, not marerial settings at all i kind of back off the whole idea.

Whilst I understand your points I think your concerns are really issuers for the users, not the programmers. If the script converts too many files that is something we, as users, can worry about, and delete the ones we don't want or need. On the whole I know which files are the material presets I want converting, and so I would get the script to convert those. The script should just take a list of files and convert them, what those files are, and what they are used for is not the scripts problem. What matters to the end users are that we can convert mc6 or pz2 files into roughly equivalent duf files. The same duf file as we would get from simply applying the MAT file inside DS and then saving as a duf material preset file. Naturally it would be nice to have an option that converts it into an Iray shader, but that is optional, and likely out of scope of a converter.

alan bard newcomer said:

Artini said:

or how is it done?

any time I have converted poser props by bringing them into daz and saving in daz as a duf... I usually just put new shaders on with the surface tab. 
    I suppose if there was an item that just had a killer texture you could still do the same ... in fact if you use surfaces click on the diffuse one and then click browse it should take you to the folder with the original surface?
    If fact if it comes in with the poser surface etc.. 
    then just use the  iray uber shader to converter them 
    I have a copy of the shader at the top level of my iray folder  

Thanks for the tips.