Genesis 9 Coming Soon! Preorder Victoria 9 HD Today

Daz_TravisDaz_Travis Posts: 79
edited December 2022 in The Commons

Hey everyone!

Today, we released a sneak peek at a few of the exciting new features coming with Genesis 9 and the first look at Victoria 9 HD! 

Hailing from the Scottish Highlands, Victoria 9 HD sports vibrant red hair and 2 stunning 8K HD skin options: freckled and vitiligo. Whether stalking her prey on the hunting grounds or striking a pose on the catwalk, Victoria 9 HD breathes life into scenes as you’ve never seen before. 

Crafted with the advanced features of Genesis 9, Victoria 9 is the first character to include the HD morph as part of her base character. 

Preorder Victoria 9 HD or the Victoria 9 HD Bundle — complete with poses, expressions, outfits, hair, and more — and experience the ultra-advanced features of Genesis 9 firsthand! 

LEARN MORE & PREORDER TODAY

More Lifelike Than Ever Before

Genesis 9 measurements have been meticulously crafted to match real-world averages. Paired with a more natural posture and the new Proportions System, creating and customizing realistic characters has never been easier. 

Genesis 9 advancements include:

8K HD Materials 

Included standard with the base Genesis 9 figure. 

Asymmetry Morphs 

Give your characters more “character” with asymmetrical modifications. 

Improved Posing & Animation 

With enhanced bone hierarchy and industry-standard naming. 

Real-World Proportions 

Real-world measurements and a new Proportions System make realistic character customization easier than ever before. 

Unified Figure 

Blendability of cross-gender shapes brings next-level character diversity and support for add-ons like clothing, hair, accessories, and more. 

…And More!  

LEARN MORE & PREORDER TODAY

Post edited by Daz_Travis on

Comments

• What exactly comes in the Bundle?  Be nice to know if its worth the $$$ before pre-ordering.  

• HaruchaiHaruchai Posts: 1,878
    edited September 2022

Watched the live stream so have a good idea of the figure now, very impressive. The main query I have is if I preorder the HD bundle and then the Pro bundle releases am I basically going to be buying V9 twice?

Post edited by Haruchai on
  • PendraiaPendraia Posts: 3,591

captainalvord said:

What exactly comes in the Bundle?  Be nice to know if its worth the $$$ before pre-ordering.  

I was wondering this also. I'm not spending $111.99 without knowing what I'm buying. 

Also when will DS 4.21 be released?

• captainalvord said:

What exactly comes in the Bundle?  Be nice to know if its worth the $$$ before pre-ordering.  

I'd like to know this also... "The Victoria 9 HD Bundle comes with poses, expressions, outfits, hair, and more." is a bit vague. 

• MartialMartial Posts: 404

what abouit clothing compatibility?

• captainalvordcaptainalvord Posts: 85
    edited September 2022

Martial said:

what abouit clothing compatibility?

During the stream it was said that clothing would fit using the Autofit tool.  But the presenter said like with G8 that could be hit or miss. Also it was stated that high heels would not Autofit.

Post edited by captainalvord on
  • davesodaveso Posts: 6,363
    Are 8k textures going to render on my system? What are the specs?
  • Noah LGPNoah LGP Posts: 2,556

Unified Figure ? Does it mean like Genesis (Generation 5) ?

• Noah LGP said:

Yes, like Genesis 1.  Both Female and Male in one base Genesis 9. 

• Yes. back to Genesis :)

• So clothing might work?
    What about hair?
    Characters?
    Skins?
    Or is this a start from scratch all over again scenario?

• N-RArtsN-RArts Posts: 1,415

She's impressive. 

How long are the bundles going to be on sale (at their current prices) for?

If they stay that price until the middle of next week, I'll gladly purchase one of them (although 8K will probably kill my machine ^^' ).

• bytescapesbytescapes Posts: 1,799

daveso said:

Are 8k textures going to render on my system? What are the specs?

During the presentation, Jay Versluis described his system -- 48GB RAM, dual Xeon processors, a 3090 and a 2080, which is a pretty beefy machine -- and he also kept saying that he didn't want to do certain things (I think it was turning on SubD for View) or his system would become very slow.

He also said that he thought that if you had 8GB of VRAM, "you'd be OK". And that he'd try to find out whether V9 would render on a 4GB VRAM card, or if you'd need to scale down her textures with an optimizer.

Reading between the lines, it sounds as if V9 is going to be resource hungry. We know that she has 8K textures and double the polygon count of previous generations. So I think it's safe to assume that she will want all the resources you can throw at her. If you struggle with G8 figures now, you can probably expect to feel some pain.

• bytescapesbytescapes Posts: 1,799
    edited September 2022

richardrhinson said:

So clothing might work?
    What about hair?
    Characters?
    Skins?

Based on what Jay Versluis said, clothing from previous generations will be fitted to the new figure with AutoFit, and tight clothing will work better than loose clothing (this seems to be a general rule with AutoFit).

He demonstrated applying poses to the figure using a script developed by one of the PAs; it looked as if that worked pretty well.

He showed a G8 hair fitted to G9/V9, but if I remember correctly he said that he'd had to work some magic in Blender to make it fit properly.

No mention was made of applying or converting characters from previous generations; I assume that's not going to be possible at launch, but perhaps a PA will develop a converter tool.

Ditto for skins. It sounded from what was said -- or, rather, what was NOT said -- as if you can't just take a G8 skin and apply it to G9. Again, someone might come up with a conversion tool, although that could be quite challenging.

The impression I had -- and I am not an expert on this stuff at all -- was that converting character shapes and skins from G8 to G9 will be more complex than converting G3 to G8.

So it's not quite start from scratch, but it's not likely that you'll be able to use everything you already own on Launch Day, and you may need to buy additional software to use your existing assets effectively.

Let's just say that DAZ weren't making any promises about compatibility.

Post edited by bytescapes on
  • captainalvord said:

Noah LGP said:

With all the complaints about loading times on a base G8F with all the character morphs, imagine how much longer it's going to take when the figure has to load both male and female character morphs.

• BarubaryBarubary Posts: 1,200

Well, I couldn't tell the difference between Genesis 8 and Genesis 8.1 and I sure as hell can't tell if this is any improvement in any way. Can't say any information in this thread is selling me on this, either.

• jjmainor said:

captainalvord said:

Noah LGP said:

With all the complaints about loading times on a base G8F with all the character morphs, imagine how much longer it's going to take when the figure has to load both male and female character morphs.

not long if you don't buy many cheeky 

• 8k textures sounds nice, but there's still artifacts when you turn compression on. Granted it'll be less noticeable, but on dark areas that are often used on clothing, it's very noticeable. Turning off compression doesn't seem like an option anymore. Hopefully, they'll have support for LOD's of the textures. Wasn't there an atlas tool or something? Seems that may become more important going forward.

Not sure what to think about unified mesh. I never much used Gen1 and don't remember the issues with it. If they've worked out the reasons why it was split up, then great. Wasn't it that they thought clothing would just work on whatever figure and it didn't quite work out? So I'm worried about how you make content like a shirt. Is there a way to create it on a female figure and undo the autofollow to get back to the unified figure? I think that was the problem in the past. If you modeled it on the unified figure, it didn't come out right once you applied the male or female morphs/sliders.

Smile lines are way better, but I wonder if that's just the resolution of the mesh. The mesh doesn't seem to conform to the figure or muscles of the body much... yet again. No nipples either... again. I think Gen 2 is the last generation that had proper nipples. Not that I care much, but for realism, it needs to be stated. Perhaps again, there's enough resolution in the mesh that a morph can be used this time instead of a graft. Speaking of which, will grafts still be a thing?

Higher resolution mesh is a double edged sword. It's nice to get the detail. But sometimes you don't need all that detail (like in some games or simpler characters). If there are LODs, then I'm all for it.

What I do like is that it seems the bone structure is more compatible with other software like Unreal Engine. At least, it looked similar at first sight. This is great news as far as I'm concerned.

A question everyone is asking is how good is backwards compatibility? Can we move Gen 8 clothing over? Skins? I'm sure someone will create a pose converter.

• bytescapes said:

richardrhinson said:

So clothing might work?
    What about hair?
    Characters?
    Skins?

Based on what Jay Versluis said, clothing from previous generations will be fitted to the new figure with AutoFit, and tight clothing will work better than loose clothing (this seems to be a general rule with AutoFit).

He demonstrated applying poses to the figure using a script developed by one of the PAs; it looked as if that worked pretty well.

He showed a G8 hair fitted to G9/V9, but if I remember correctly he said that he'd had to work some magic in Blender to make it fit properly.

No mention was made of applying or converting characters from previous generations; I assume that's not going to be possible at launch, but perhaps a PA will develop a converter tool.

Ditto for skins. It sounded from what was said -- or, rather, what was NOT said -- as if you can't just take a G8 skin and apply it to G9. Again, someone might come up with a conversion tool, although that could be quite challenging.

The impression I had -- and I am not an expert on this stuff at all -- was that converting character shapes and skins from G8 to G9 will be more complex than converting G3 to G8.

So it's not quite start from scratch, but it's not likely that you'll be able to use everything you already own on Launch Day, and you may need to buy additional software to use your existing assets effectively.

So for casual artists like myself 8.1 is a hard stop point until V9 is offered for free at some point so we can see if she'll even render on our rigs, and some PA is going to have to do what DAZ did not, which is to provide a path forward for the thousands of dollars already invested into art assets by so many.  Which is fine, because granular face morphs only because an easy thing all of last week on 8.1.... so as big news goes, this was a dud.

• AOBBAOBB Posts: 954

Those improvements that will be implemented in Genesis 9 sound awesome and are an answer to my prayers - especially the increased density of the base mesh. I don't quite understand the asymmetry morphs - does it mean that each feature on both sides of the face (maybe even body) will have a separate morph? Like in good old Poser? That would be awesomeness squared! Now I can only achieve specific asymmetry by using Zbrush or other sculpting packages (blender). Boy, finally I will be able to do characters with wrinkles embeded in the base mesh - older characters or characters with subtleties in their faces that the low-res previous genesis generations just couldn't handle. I am over-the-moon happy! Thank you, DAZ!

I love that the entire mouth and eyes will be separate from the rest of the body. Before, while sculpting, they almost always got deformed. Very, very convenient! I have a big, silly grin on my face!

Kudos!

AOBB

• SevrinSevrin Posts: 6,300

V9 looks amazing.  I would like to know more about the bundle contents, though.

• frank0314frank0314 Posts: 13,188

AlienRenders said:

Not sure what to think about unified mesh. I never much used Gen1 and don't remember the issues with it. If they've worked out the reasons why it was split up, then great. Wasn't it that they thought clothing would just work on whatever figure and it didn't quite work out? So I'm worried about how you make content like a shirt. Is there a way to create it on a female figure and undo the autofollow to get back to the unified figure? I think that was the problem in the past. If you modeled it on the unified figure, it didn't come out right once you applied the male or female morphs/sliders.

Because it was a literal nightmare for PA's to make content for it. This one has new features that makes it easier​

• bluejauntebluejaunte Posts: 1,859

AOBB said:

Those improvements that will be implemented in Genesis 9 sound awesome and are an answer to my prayers - especially the increased density of the base mesh. I don't quite understand the asymmetry morphs - does it mean that each feature on both sides of the face (maybe even body) will have a separate morph? Like in good old Poser? That would be awesomeness squared! Now I can only achieve specific asymmetry by using Zbrush or other sculpting packages (blender). Boy, finally I will be able to do characters with wrinkles embeded in the base mesh - older characters or characters with subtleties in their faces that the low-res previous genesis generations just couldn't handle. I am over-the-moon happy! Thank you, DAZ!

I love that the entire mouth and eyes will be separate from the rest of the body. Before, while sculpting, they almost always got deformed. Very, very convenient! I have a big, silly grin on my face!

Kudos!

AOBB

It just means there are a bunch of asymmetry morphs that come with G9. Like just a bunch of dials that influence various things in face, eyes, nose, mouth and ears. The idea here is also that PAs would use these to create asymmetry rather than sculpting it in such that it can't be removed by the user anymore.

• First of all, I am pretty sure all this is coming with DS5, but I would love to know more about the base Gen 9 figure and compatibility with past figures, clothes, hair and morphs.  It is a little worrying that one of the freebies offered is Voss Hair, which is a re-release or update.  That kind of implies that it will be a little tricky to update old content for the new figure.

Mostly Harmless said:

First of all, I am pretty sure all this is coming with DS5, but I would love to know more about the base Gen 9 figure and compatibility with past figures, clothes, hair and morphs.  It is a little worrying that one of the freebies offered is Voss Hair, which is a re-release or update.  That kind of implies that it will be a little tricky to update old content for the new figure.

I just fitted the freebie to genesis 8 without too many issues. A quick trip to zbrush and it was fine. I'm fairly sure they said their would be a clone for genesis 8 clothing. Shoes might be an issue.

Generally within months of release products are released which will fix this for figures you don't get a clone for. I imagine someone will release a clone for genesis 3 and possibly 2 eventually.

frank0314 said:

AlienRenders said:

Because it was a literal nightmare for PA's to make content for it. This one has new features that makes it easier​

I loved the original but I remember the PA's weren't happy. I'm glad they fixed whatever was causing their angst. I notice the the base figure has bit more in the pecs/breast area and this may be part of the fix?

richardrhinson said:

bytescapes said:

richardrhinson said:

So clothing might work?
    What about hair?
    Characters?
    Skins?

So for casual artists like myself 8.1 is a hard stop point until V9 is offered for free at some point so we can see if she'll even render on our rigs, and some PA is going to have to do what DAZ did not, which is to provide a path forward for the thousands of dollars already invested into art assets by so many.  Which is fine, because granular face morphs only because an easy thing all of last week on 8.1.... so as big news goes, this was a dud.

I doubt that as the genesis 9 base will be released with Daz Studio from what has been said. This will allow people to use the figure and there will no doubt be freebies created for the figure. V9 is after all just another character these days. It used to be the base figure was Victoria that's no longer the case...

• AOBBAOBB Posts: 954

@bluejaunte - Thank you for the clarification! smiley

• The only justification for another Genesis figure would be the return of unisex conformality.

Finally...!

• I already can't use more than a couple G8's in my scenes unless they are extremely bare bones; not even going to consider G9 until they allow Iray to use system RAM.