Let's appreciate/discuss today's new releases - ongoing thread

HylasHylas Posts: 4,744
edited November 2022 in The Commons

Is anybody interested in an ongoing thread for thoughts, questions, discussions, and appreciation of all the new items in the store, from today or the past few days?

Maybe you want to express a thought or two but don't feel like it warrants a whole new thread.

And feel free to post some renders!

I imagine this thread being more about the items themselves and less about sales, coupons, discounts, special offers, and all that.

--

Joe Quick's Toon Heroes for G9 looks amazing! I personally am not getting involved with G9 (yet) but this product has me excited none the less. It looks so good!
The only critisism I have (based on the promos) is that the black skin appears to not have lighter palms (and presumably soles). I think even a simplified toon skin should have less pigmented palms and soles.

Enchanted Attic looks wonderful! Not sure if I have use for it, I have to think about it.

JWolf's Expressions are interesting to me. I generally like their work and there's certainly nothing wrong with this new set. But I don't see the difference between this and the average G8.1 expression set. If G9 has improved expressions I don't see it here.

What do y'all think about today's new releases?

Post edited by Hylas on

Comments

• GordigGordig Posts: 9,024
    edited November 2022

I've barely touched DS in six months, but there was no way in hell I wasn't buying the new JoeQuick characters.

Post edited by Gordig on
  • The things of interest to me are the JW Expressions (but am holding off for a power pose/face control type product) and E3D Ayna, who looks cute but the close up image of the redhead (image 7) doesn't at all match up to the product description of  '05 Realistic Eye Colors'.

in the current climate i'm having to become a more discerning costumer and i truly believe that we have to hold Daz and the venders accountable, so if i notice something is off either before a  purchase or after then i'll avoid or return it.

• FSMCDesignsFSMCDesigns Posts: 12,518

I am very picky with purchasing content now, especially this time of year with lots of bills and the holidays coming up. As for the toon heros, it's probably a quality product knowing the PA, but I have no use for toon anything.

I like the look of TMA Aaliyah for Genesis 8.1 Female, but knowing that PA puts their files in the most awkward locations keeps me from buying from them (DAZ needs to set them straight on file locations. A user shouldn't have to search for the shaping and materials folders for files to load from a character)

Enchanted Attic does look nice and useful for some of my projects.

I haven't jumped on the G9 bandwagon yet, but seeing new heels for her might make me jump sooner than I thought!!.

• Daywalker DesignsDaywalker Designs Posts: 3,586
    edited November 2022

FSMCDesigns said:

I like the look of TMA Aaliyah for Genesis 8.1 Female, but knowing that PA puts their files in the most awkward locations keeps me from buying from them (DAZ needs to set them straight on file locations. A user shouldn't have to search for the shaping and materials folders for files to load from a character)

That's a bit strange. I would look in People\<insert Genesis version here>\Characters\charactername (or People\<insert Genesis version here>\Characters\vendorname\charactername)for the shaping presets (at least for figures prior to Genesis 9) and expect the materials in a subfolder of that. I'd also expect a vendor specifc scaled actor preload in People\<insert Genesis version here>\Characters. That's pretty much how I have the few custom characters I've done in zBrush set up in DAZ Studio.

Post edited by Daywalker Designs on

Daywalker Designs said:

FSMCDesigns said:

That's a bit strange. I would look in People\<insert Genesis version here>\Characters\charactername (or People\<insert Genesis version here>\Characters\vendorname\charactername)for the shaping presets (at least for figures prior to Genesis 9) and expect the materials in a subfolder of that. I'd also expect a vendor specifc scaled actor preload in People\<insert Genesis version here>\Characters. That's pretty much how I have the few custom characters I've done in zBrush set up in DAZ Studio.

Exactly, that is how most are packaged. If you look at the readmes, there is a single character load under the PAs name in characters and all other files are in shaping and materials instead of subfolders in the character folder .

• xyer0xyer0 Posts: 5,639

Hylas said:

JWolf's Expressions are interesting to me. I generally like their work and there's certainly nothing wrong with this new set. But I don't see the difference between this and the average G8.1 expression set. If G9 has improved expressions I don't see it here.

Same. G9 expressions/poses/morphs/gear will have to be improvements, or no sale for me. In fact, I just realized that my impression of G9 expressions is based on my initial impression of V9's expressions rather than any actual improvement I've seen in G9 expressions, even the DO Expression pack, whose promo pretty much sums up my reaction.

FSMCDesigns said:

I like the look of TMA Aaliyah for Genesis 8.1 Female, but knowing that PA puts their files in the most awkward locations keeps me from buying                        from them (DAZ needs to set them straight on file locations. A user shouldn't have to search for the shaping and materials folders for files to load                    from a character)

Thanks. You just reminded me why I returned TMA Andrea, who is otherwise quite striking. I really like Aaliyah, but could we get a 3/4 or profile promo? Different hairstyle? Stunning model though. Captures that moment just a few months before she hits the wall.

• nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 17,890

Like Gordig, I'm barely rendering anymore.

As I try to get other nagging persistent problems out of my hair, there isn't time, but I still, bored, nervous, and obsessive, check the DAZ Store daily, and like JoeQuicks' Toon Kids for G9, Toon Heroes for Genesis 9 | Daz 3D was purchased on release day. 

I've really only plans to use them in games with the interactive license and get them in Blender to use in animation practice. I never originally planned on doing any DAZ Studio renders at all but I'm glad I did.

I'm very happy with JoeQuick's work on this product, once again.

However, this purchase came out of my store credit and I had enough to buy Michael 9 saved in there but no more, so now I will have to add that $18 back in at the 1st of December. I'm expecting Michael 9 to release during Thanksgiving week. It's not a big deal though since the unimesh and Genesis 9 Essensial Expansion already make male and female characters already possible. I don't even need to buy Michael 9 but the obssessive collector in me likely still will. I don't feel the same obsessiveness with buying the other characters, just Michael & Victoria as I've bought them for so many years. 

• FSMCDesigns said:

Daywalker Designs said:

FSMCDesigns said:

Exactly, that is how most are packaged. If you look at the readmes, there is a single character load under the PAs name in characters and all other files are in shaping and materials instead of subfolders in the character folder .

That is how Daz has tended to package the name-and-number "base" characters, too.

• Hylas said:

Is anybody interested in an ongoing thread for thoughts, questions, discussions, and appreciation of all the new items in the store?

Maybe you want to express a thought or two but don't feel like it warrants a whole new thread.

And feel free to post some renders!

I imagine this thread being more about the items themselves and less about sales, coupons, discounts, special offers, and all that.

--

Joe Quick's Toon Heroes for G9 looks amazing! I personally am not getting involved with G9 (yet) but this product has me excited none the less. It looks so good!
    The only critisism I have (based on the promos) is that the black skin appears to not have lighter palms (and presumably soles). I think even a simplified toon skin should have less pigmented palms and soles.

This is something people disagree on - when creators of photo-real(ish) characters do the same and they are called out others (or the PA themsleves) will post to say that their palms and soles are not noticeably lighter.

Enchanted Attic looks wonderful! Not sure if I have use for it, I have to think about it.

What do y'all think about today's new releases?

• Serene NightSerene Night Posts: 17,553

I have a question about Aaliyah. Does she have a no makeup option? The promos don't show.

• Oso3DOso3D Posts: 14,878

If you just go on a few image searches of 'black palms,' the 'answer' is 'it varies considerably.'

Some dark-skinned folks, the palm is, at most, very slightly lighter. Others, the palm is dramatically lighter. And everything in between.

• JoeQuickJoeQuick Posts: 1,697
    edited November 2022

It's a good point though.  I wonder how hard it would be for me (or anyone else) to use diffuse overlay to blend the medium (default) skin with the dark skin.

Edit: it was pretty easy.  These files should get folded into the main product at some point, but here they are until then.

zip
    zip
    MelaninBlend.zip
    Popup17.jpg
    1000 x 1300 - 527K
    Post edited by JoeQuick on
  • HylasHylas Posts: 4,744
    edited November 2022

Oso3D said:

If you just go on a few image searches of 'black palms,' the 'answer' is 'it varies considerably.'

Some dark-skinned folks, the palm is, at most, very slightly lighter. Others, the palm is dramatically lighter. And everything in between.

Searching for "black palms" gives me pictures of palm trees. Searching for "black skin palms" gives me mostly images of melanoma, yikes!

"Hands of black people" finally gives me mostly exactly that, but almost everybody in those images seems to have considerably lighter skin on their palms.

Aaaaaaaaanyway, I was under the impression that all black people have lighter skin on their palms and soles but I stand corrected. Happy to have learned something!

laugh

Post edited by Hylas on
  • WonderlandWonderland Posts: 6,695
    edited November 2022

Well, this was in yesterday's sale but here are some test renders of Mousso's gorgeous Ravenna https://www.daz3d.com/mso-ravenna-for-genesis-9-female Mousso's characters can be blonde too lol!

G9 Mousso Ravenna Classic Bob Hair Guardian Top.png
    800 x 1067 - 886K
    G9 Mousso Ravenna Soft Curly Ponytail Blonde 03.png
    800 x 1067 - 954K
    G9 Mousso Ravenna Soft Curl Long Hair CU Uber Test 01.png
    800 x 1067 - 1M
    Post edited by Wonderland on
  • xyer0xyer0 Posts: 5,639

Hylas said:

Oso3D said:

Searching for "black palms" gives me pictures of palm trees. Searching for "black skin palms" gives me mostly images of melanoma, yikes!

"Hands of black people" finally gives me mostly exactly that, but almost everybody in those images seems to have considerably lighter skin on their palms.

Aaaaaaaaanyway, I was under the impression that all black people have lighter skin on their palms and soles but I stand corrected. Happy to have learned something!

laugh

Been black a long time. Lots of black family members too. Known a lot of black people in person. NEVER seen a black person that was as dark as / darker than caramel with palms/soles the same color as their skin. This is such an anomaly that it would instantly be brought to the attention of others.

But it's a toon by JoeQuick; so, no sweat.

• nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 17,890
    edited November 2022

I've always noticed lighter palms and soles on darker complexions. I used to wonder why. Nature did that to not waste body's metabolic needs building and maintaining melanin in mostly unexposed areas. You wonder how it figured that out but it did. Little savings like that add up over a lifetime.

I didn't notice though on the JoeQuick toons today though, because they are toons. If you do then you are drawing attention with more realism away from the rest of the character. You start thinking, well where are the palm lines like life lines and such? 

Post edited by nonesuch00 on
  • nemesis10nemesis10 Posts: 3,238

Ooh, this hits close to home!  I was thinking about getting buying Toon Heroes until I learned about the palms so that that is now a definite "nope".  

I have a long career as a scientist and I remind you that scientist love repeatable verifiable data. Physical anthropology has answered the question about the color of human's palms and soles a long time ago and there is a wealth of scientific data and papers on the topic.  In short, most people, worldwide, have the same color range for their palms and soles. I am loathe to use Wikipedia as a source but the statement is succinct and the appropiate supporting documentation is there so: "Color is not entirely uniform across an individual's skin; for example, the skin of the palm and the sole is lighter than most other skin, and this is especially noticeable in darker-skinned people."  Here is a typical example of real scientic data on the matter: https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/7149195/

I should mention that I am a "redbone" and have been keenly interested in accurate representation of Black people in 3d since the pre Daz3d days from the time of Posette.   At this point, I should mention three points that may point out sources of confusion.  The first is that there may be some extremely rare examples of people who have melanated palms and soles.  These people are extremely rare (probably less than 0.001%), but since there are people born with extra nipples, fingers and toes, eyes, tails etc.., we can't rule them out. Second, even though 99.99% of humanity have the same palm/sole color (it should be mentioned that they have also the same gum, tongue, canthus, teeth, and sclera color), people forget that palms and soles aren't albino and can tan a bit. Finally,  the palms and sole have few melanocytes so blushing can radically affect the visible color making them appear lighter and darker.  Here is an example of that phenomenon (note that the tops of their hands are always going to be darker since there are more melanocytes on the tops of your hands):

It goes without saying that people are often just inobservant.  There is a famous example when chromosomes were discovered.  researchers miscounted them and it took decades before someone recounted them and discovered tht the count was off and that there are 23 pairs.

As I mentioned, I am a "redbone", with my own ancestry as an American almost as much English/Welsh as it is West African.  There is a point where inaccurate representation veers out of the uncanny valley into caricature: https://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/why-do-cosmetics-companies-keep-blacking-up-womens-hands-in-ads_uk_5b7143f9e4b0ae32af997c4c as in the case of this this cosmetic company that simply covered this model with brown makeup rather than hiring a model of appropriate skin color.

• vrba79vrba79 Posts: 1,297

Joe Quick's Toon Heroes for G9 do look tasty AF.

If there's more where that came from, especially at a fair price like that, I can see investing in G9!

• tsroemitsroemi Posts: 2,310

I just bought the Zirael car although I seldom buy on release - but this is just such a well-made model, and so much thought and care for details went into it. About everything is moveable or exchangeable, there's left and right drive versions, customizable number plates you can also use for other cars, working seat belts, working seats ... Amazing really! I think it's really very good value for the money.

Just saw Michael 9 first time today - not sure what I think about him yet. A bit bland maybe, compared to Vicky 9, no? But not bad I reckon. Will wait for some customer renders

• AllenArtAllenArt Posts: 7,140
    edited November 2022

WendyLuvsCatz said:

new Stoney looks nice

https://www.daz3d.com/the-streets-of-the-medieval

I'm trying to remember if we've ever had a Stoney set in a figure bundle before. Probably, but I don't remember specifically. LOL

Post edited by AllenArt on

WendyLuvsCatz said:

new Stoney looks nice

https://www.daz3d.com/the-streets-of-the-medieval

Agreed, very nice!

not big on male figures, so not to interested in the new Michael, but really love the The King's Guard Outfit. Reminds me of the outfits from the Musketeers series on BBC

• TimbalesTimbales Posts: 2,221

Michael 9 looks good. He reminds me a bit of Oscar Isaac around the eyes. 

SF-Design's Bodymorph Kit looks like it has what I've been wanting - options to deal with G9M's chest.

Ultimate Buzzcut Hair has some nice variety to it. 

Muscleman Multi-Base looks very useful.

I think I'm going to buy V9 for the extra male skin options in lieu of picking up an M9 bundle. 

• okay, if we're doing appreciation, then I want to throw this hair into the hat. I've literally spent weeks looking for something like this. Just the day before yesterday I actually threw in the towel and bought some men's hair I wasn't thrilled about to "make do" and then this morning I woke up to this. I was ecstatic! Honestly, even looking at the back of the hair I'm blown away, it actually has texture, not just some unrealistically straight bristles. I love it! I'll be following this artist's work from here on out. Marty Mane Hair for Genesis 8 Male and Genesis 9 https://www.daz3d.com/marty-mane-hair-for-genesis-8-male-and-genesis-9

• LauritaLaurita Posts: 190

While it's a great hair which is most definitely perfectly usable on female characters as well I don't think it is much of an improvement over the not exactly recent Fraser hair, tbh. https://www.daz3d.com/fraser-hair

I will get it nonetheless to have an alternative to the mentioned hair.

• SolitarySandpiperSolitarySandpiper Posts: 468
    edited November 2022

I absolutely love The Row House but it's not unconditional... So far the G9 stuffs not for me https://www.daz3d.com/apocalyptique-the-aftermath-collection-for-genesis-9 but it'll come.

Post edited by SolitarySandpiper on
  • MimicMollyMimicMolly Posts: 2,093

I absolutely love The Row House but it's not unconditional... So far the G9 stuffs not for me https://www.daz3d.com/apocalyptique-the-aftermath-collection-for-genesis-9 but it'll come.

I've never bought from them before and those "909 Baked Materials, Bump, Height, Roughness, Metallic, Normal, Specular, and Transparency Maps" for that product aren't going to convince me either. Yikes!
  • HylasHylas Posts: 4,744

A characters head is always my main focus - morph, expression, eye colour, hair, facial hair, etc - so a product that covers the face is always going to have a very tough time with me. That's why my knights in shining armour never, ever wear helmets, unpractical as it is.

That being said, their previously released product Mysterieux looks so amazing I wishlisted it despite it covering most of the face and head.

• RAMWolffRAMWolff Posts: 10,142

OSO's new Beard/brow/hair for G9 is really nice.  Not bought it yet but as a hairdresser I'm always intrigued when new hair models are released regardless of the platform (DS or Poser).  The main promo really doesn't do the set justice.  Check it out and all the various shapings and options, you will be amazed.  Nice going man!  

https://www.daz3d.com/oso-dforce-hair-1-for-genesis-9

• Oso3DOso3D Posts: 14,878

Appreciated!

I kind of went crazy with options. Heh. And the way the hair colors work, it should be pretty easy for people to tweak and expand on it.