Game On 3

Just a shiny object challenge.  Take the file below, enlarge the boolean object (that's where the black is coming from), change objects, materials and try to get the most realistic render that you can.  Explain how you achieved it.  I have an HDRI and soft shadows enabled with premium render.  This took 40 minutes on my slow machine.

Comments

• S RayS Ray Posts: 398

I'll bite first. I woke up really early 3;30 an EST so figure to do a little Bryceing. & poof here's a scene  with out all the production I usually do. Thanks Ngartplay.  I changed the sky to a different  IBL HDRI, Made the imported mesh into volume smoke. Sphere 1 & 2 to 2 different volume fire mats. & sphere 3 to a dark smooth reflective medal. The Ground  are image based materials I picket up at productioncrate.com. Rendered at premium with no options (just boost lighting } I found by doing this most volume mats render faster than using AA. I add some lab images just for those who are interested.

S_Ray01.jpg
    1200 x 800 - 1M
    S_Ray01MatrOPtions.jpg
    635 x 509 - 247K
    S_Ray01RenderOPtions.jpg
    669 x 348 - 152K
    S_Ray01SkyOPtions.jpg
    624 x 529 - 283K
  • mermaid010mermaid010 Posts: 4,956

NGartplay - thanks for another challenge. cool render downloading the file

S Ray - superb render, I love the contrasting colors

• NGartplayNGartplay Posts: 2,794

You're welcome mermaid.  Hope to see an image.

S Ray, it looks like the world is on fire.  Nicely done.  Appreciate the settings and tip about rendering volumetrics.  Very good fire and the ground mat is great.  Never heard of productioncrate.com.  Will have to look.  Thanks for playing

• HansmarHansmar Posts: 2,750
    edited January 2023

Thanks for the challenge, NGartplay.

Very nice render, S Ray. Thanks for all the information on the settings.

I made something similar as S Ray. I used a stone texture by RajRaja for the ground plane (slightly modified), volumetric fire (David Brinnen) for sphere 1, plasma fire (slightly modified) for the sphere 2, slope controlled perfect mirror for sphere 3 and an orange fuzzy texture (see picture) for the three lobed ring. I used the Leukerfeld_SD_2560 HDRI for the sky.

brinnen-lighting-54_HM2.jpg
    1200 x 800 - 1M
    orange fuzzy texture.JPG
    825 x 660 - 67K
    Post edited by Hansmar on
    edited January 2023

Another one, very different. This time, I used a seashore texture, slightly modified, by David Brinnen for the groundpland. The three lobed ring is the combers texture by David Brinnen. Sphere one is a glass bubble and sphere 2 and 3 are 'lint' from the clouds-surfaces material. The IBL used for the sky is the ErmClouds01_SD_SC HDRI. Another one is running with the same settings, but this time 100% anisotropy (radial) added to the combers texture on the three lobed ring. I will add that one to this thread later.

brinnen-lighting-4_HM.jpg
    1200 x 800 - 2M

Hansmar, I thought that you had a caldron in the first scene but it's the reflective sphere.  So cool.  The second one is so calming and it does remind one of the beach.

• adbcadbc Posts: 3,078

NGartplay : thanks for the challenging file.

S Ray : awesome result, thanks for explaining.

Hansmar : Two excellent renders, cool interpretation of the challenge.

• HoroHoro Posts: 10,069

NGartplay -thank you for the file. I will see what I can do with it.

S Ray - Great fire render and thank you for the information on the settings used.

Hansmar - Another well done fire and the second one is very special and cool looking.

Hey all, I have Covid.  Not sure where I got it.  I feel awful so I might be gone a few days.

Hansmar - two great renders, I like the 2nd one awesome effect.

NGartplay said:

Hey all, I have Covid.  Not sure where I got it.  I feel awful so I might be gone a few days.

I pray for your speedy recovery. Make sure to rest a lot.

NGartplay - not funny. Hope you get over it in no time.

• huberthubert Posts: 410

NGartplay: You have my sympathy. Am wishing you a speedy recovery!

• NGartplay: cool challenge... and I hope you`ll get your healthy back again soon.

NGartplay : there is no fun in getting ill, hope you get better soon.

NGartplay, get well soon!

NGartplay, adbc, Horo, Mermaid, Thank you.

edited February 2023

What a pity that I do not see a lot of entries in this 'game on'. Last couple of weeks I did find time to quickly modify something (sky, textures) and then push 'render'. But I did not have time to put them on the website yet (e.g. add my signature, change to JPG). I should, of course, have indicated for each render what I have done, but my administration of modifications is generally quite bad and not totally absent. So, please forgive me for not indicating the choices for textures and sky (and light). Roughly, the yellow one has all liquid (water, beer) textures. The more black one is mixed textures, the brown one mainly glass textures and the vague one is all atmospheric texture. Otherwise, I do not remember. However, here goes.

brinnen-lighting-4_HM3.jpg
    1200 x 800 - 1M
    brinnen-lighting-4_HM4.jpg
    1200 x 800 - 1M
    brinnen-lighting-4_HM5.jpg
    1200 x 800 - 830K
    brinnen-lighting-4_HM6.jpg
    1200 x 800 - 780K
    edited February 2023

And the next series, again not a lot of detail on the how and what, sorry for that.

First oneis kind of glassy bumpy textures. Secone one uses lights (instead of on of the sphere, or two) and atmospheric texture. Last two stone textures from RajRaja and in the last one a water texture. The big sphere (Sphere 1) has a cloudy glass texture and there is a spherical light of almost the same size and location as the Sphere 1.

brinnen-lighting-4_HM7.jpg
    1200 x 800 - 1M
    brinnen-lighting-4_HM6a.jpg
    1200 x 800 - 1M
    brinnen-lighting-4_HM8.jpg
    1200 x 800 - 1001K
    brinnen-lighting-4_HM8a.jpg
    1200 x 800 - 747K
    edited February 2023

Finally, one more: this is one with a set of weird (volumetric) textures that took a long time to render. The black circle is the 'no shadow' texture on one of the small spheres. The other small sphere has a fuzzy texture. The Sphere 1 has a volumetric texture giving those psychedelic colours.

brinnen-lighting-4_HM9.jpg
    1200 x 800 - 605K

Hansmar, in your first post I can not see all four of the images but in the other posts I see them all.  All I can say is 'wow.'  Fabulous efforts.  I tried to make new attempts and I got nothing as interesting as yours.  My fave is the first glass one but that doesn't negate the beauty of the others.  The second just makes me wonder how you did it...an explosion.  Really like the third one with the earth textures.  At first I couldn't decide between the water one or the earth but I've chosen the earthy one.  Both very nice.

How long did it take you to render that last one?  The fire texture looks like it's burning the sphere in the back.  What a great effect.

• Don't delete the attachments - those are the source for the inline images.

edited February 2023

Hansmar, I couldn't get anything interesting like you did so I changed the camera angle to see what I could get.  The materials that I tried using took so long to render that I ended up doing shiny stuff again.  Even then this took almost 3 hours.

game-on-2.jpg
    1200 x 800 - 284K
    Post edited by NGartplay on

Hansmar - I also do no see the images in the 1st post of the 13th but the others are great, fabulous renders.

NGartplay - Your render is very nice too. A pity I did not get to open the file you shared yet, although I downloaded it; too busy trying to find the right freebies for the present challenge; hope to get an entry in soon. blush

edited February 2023

Hansmar : could also not see the images in your first post, the others are really cool and original.

NGartplay : Awesome render, love the materials and the POV.

This is for the moment the only result worth to show. Not much to explain it just happened.

brinnen-lighting-7.jpg
    800 x 533 - 31K
    Post edited by adbc on
    edited February 2023

Simple yet beautiful, lovely render Adbc

Post edited by mermaid010 on

Again a couple of really very nice results and all so different.

edited February 2023

adbc, what a lovely render.  It's so soft and calming looking....beautiful is the best word for it.

mermaid, I couldn't find anything interesting for the challenge either.  I did an image 20 years ago with a computer monitor in it but I can't find that.   There's got to be something out there.  I hope that I don't have to build something myself, lol.

Post edited by NGartplay on
    edited February 2023

Oops, I did it again (apparently). Must have deleted the originally entered pictures, though not on purpose. Brought them back now. Enjoy.

Mermaid, I like your view and the wonderful textures.

adbc, Nice, I like your white three-legged item. It looks soft, which is a nice contrast to the two shiny spheres.

I will look up the file with the explosion later. I think I saved that specifically. If I find it, I will publish the details.

The last one, with the firy and rainbowy textures indeed took relativey long. But I think not much more than an hour. However, I have not noted down the times, and it was quite some days ago, so I could be totally wrong.

Thanks Hansmar.  The first of the missing images looks like an atlas.  Cool effect.  The charcoal one is interesting and I love the golden one.  I like shiny, of course.

edited February 2023

I see your 1st post now Hansmar, cool examples, changing a few materials and one gets a different effect, awesome reflections on the spheres in the brown one - 3rd one

Thanks for the comment but it was meant for NGartplay, I still have to get around to play with this file.wink

Post edited by mermaid010 on

mermaid, Horo, NGartplay, Hansmar : thank you.

Hansmar : a cool set of renders in your first post.