Issues with installing 3rd party content into Daz Studio 4:21

Has anyone else been having trouble with installing 3rd party content since DS upgraded to its latest version?  I thought I had these problems solved.  Any 3rd party stuff I installed before the upgrade is still working as before, but the majority of items I tried putting in over the weekend have been a dismal failure.  It's mostly in the area of missing texture files.  Content Wizard isn't doing what it was able to previously, and I even tried manually dragging unzipped files directly into MyLibrary - texture, runtime, etc.  No good this time round.  

Comments

• AscaniaAscania Posts: 1,838

No problem here. Are you certain you have installed the base figures they require?

• SofaCitizenSofaCitizen Posts: 1,570

The only issue I have had with third party assets recently was a genuine path error with a product. I reported it to the PA in question and they sent over updated files. Can't say I have noticed any general difference in either the loading of third party assets or Content Wizard's behaviour myself.

• jjoynerjjoyner Posts: 440

I've had no problems with installing 3rd party content (mostly from Renderosity) in DS 4.21.

• Thanks for your feedback, everyone - yes, it's primarily Renderosity here, too.  I suppose I'll just have to keep at it, then.  God know what I'm doing different from before, though.  

edited March 2023

Is it any particular product types at all? I guess naming actual products might not be allowed in this forum but is it clothing, characters, props or environments? Or is there no obvious link?

EDIT: In the interests of science, I made a test render with some recent Renderosity installed assets. The environment, character and outfit installed around 2 weeks ago and the vehicle (Milk Float) installed 4 weeks back. Can't remember if I have bought any hair from there before, but if so it would have been a while back.

Renderosity Test.png
    500 x 400 - 341K
    Post edited by SofaCitizen on
  • SofaCitizen said:

Is it any particular product types at all? I guess naming actual products might not be allowed in this forum but is it clothing, characters, props or environments? Or is there no obvious link?

EDIT: In the interests of science, I made a test render with some recent Renderosity installed assets. The environment, character and outfit installed around 2 weeks ago and the vehicle (Milk Float) installed 4 weeks back. Can't remember if I have bought any hair from there before, but if so it would have been a while back.

Thank you, Sofa Citizen (or, may I call you Sofa?)  Well, it's pretty random, as far as I can see.  Only a couple of products have gone in seamlessly.  Otherwise it's props, characters and environments, et al.

johnbuckeridge said:

Thank you, Sofa Citizen (or, may I call you Sofa?)  Well, it's pretty random, as far as I can see.  Only a couple of products have gone in seamlessly.  Otherwise it's props, characters and environments, et al.

Either is fine :)

I would say that generally speaking I have found that Renderosity products are packaged well and so are "ContentWizard-friendly" - thus I wouldn't have expected that many problems from a path point of view. I'm sure this doesn't need to be said, but just for the sake of crossing "t"s and dotting the "i"s: I'm sure you are aware that many products are split up over multiple zip files and so products with many texture files may have those in separate zips that all need to be installed for the product to work?

You did say that you have tried installing manually so I guess checking to make sure the ContentWizard config isn't altered would not help.

Throwing out random ideas: I assume you have not accidentally renamed your data, runtime or textures folders? Perhaps one of them has a rogue space at the beginning or end? Or perhaps you have accidentally created two versions of one of the folders with different case that the filesystem allows but Daz cannot see both?

I suppose if any of the above are the issue then previously-installed content would also now be broken and infact those would probably affect all products installed under the same library.

Outside of that then I guess it's a case of looking at where Daz thinks the texture files should be and checking to see if they are definitely there using the exact subpath within the base folder of the library. Maybe making sure there is no issue with permissions on the filesystem.

• @ SofaCitizen, hey pal how are you doing?

Your rendering is interesting, did you got some truck and buses?

Wish I could know if these are free.

You can reply me in the usual thread.

Just in case, I am busy, I have not used much my computer lately, neither I am not doing any kind of renders, anyway take care, I hope I can have the time to be back at the computer and do what I love to do, specially I want to learn more about the rendering process. cool

johnbuckeridge, my advice to you, use any compression program, WinZip, PeaZip, WinRar or anything you like.

Most free items can be extracted within the compression program, in a Windows File Explorer like environment.

If you are using Windows 10/11 then go to Users\Public\Public Documents\My DAZ 3D Library.

The Zip files can be extracted there without any problem.

Unless, the content creator has made an error with the archive structure, then you have to contact the author if possible.

You can find more details in the freebies forum section.

Good luck to you! smiley

@Halcon Bluesky, haha, thanks, but it wasn't supposed to be a serious render. Just throwing together some recent assets from a third party store (no freebies there, sorry) that I installed via Content Wizard to check that everything loaded fine. Still no new ideas as to what the issue could be, but hopefully John has had more luck in the few days since?

• @ SofaCitizen, no free items?! too bad!

I wanted to get that cool items that are displayed in the render sad

Also, there are no free bundles here, at least the bundles were more usable than the latest free items.

The + membership is too expensive and I will not benefit from it, only for those who spend big will get the most crying

Take care.

• Hi everyone, thanks for the input above.  Quick update, in case it's useful to anyone else having similar problems - I have discovered that my manual input game was rusty!  Where I'd beenn going wrong was dragging & dropping files into my MyLibray 'blind', assuming it would just home in on where it's supposed to.  What I realised over the weekend was that stuff could easily have been slipping into the wrong subfolders if I wasn't careful.  So now I make sure it's headed for 'MyLibrary'.

Content Wizard doesn't seem to be solving problems that efficiently on its own, but in combination with the correct manual entry, at least it gives me a record of what I've got, mostly,  If it doesn't work in Smart Content, ast least I can see it's there and go looking in MyLibray in Content.

Thanks again, everyone.