May 2023 - Daz 3D New User Challenge - Using Props and Push Modifiers/Deformers

LeanaLeana Posts: 10,932

New User's Challenge - May 2023

Sponsored by DAZ 3D

Are you new to the 3D World? Are you at the beginning stages of learning 3D rendering? Have you been around for a little bit but feel you could benefit from some feedback or instruction? Have you been around awhile and would like to help other members start their creative journey? Well then come and join the fun as we host our newest render challenge!

As with the previous months, we are breaking down each month into 2 different challenges. A Beginner Challenge and then also an Intermediate Challenge.
So which "Challenge" should you choose?

Follow the Beginner Challenge if you are:

• New to the New User Challenges
  • New to Daz Studio
  • Newer to 3D Rendering in General
  • Or if you have not participated in the May Action / Using Props challenge

Follow the Intermediate Challenge if you have:

• Participated in the New User Challenge for awhile
  • Know the basics of Daz Studio and would like to learn more in depth topics
  • Been using 3D Rendering Applications for awhile and feel comfortable with learning Intermediate Topics
  • Or if you have already participated in the May Action / Using Props Challenge

*Please be sure to list in your post which Challenge you are participating in*

Closing date for both is May 31st 2023

For a list of the current challenge rules, please see this thread: Challenge Rules

They apply for both versions of the challenge

Post edited by Leana on

Comments

• LeanaLeana Posts: 10,932
    edited April 2023

Beginner Challenge:
    "Action / Using Props"

This month's focus will be action with an emphasis on interaction with props. Your characters' actions, or the props they are using or interacting with, should be a major aspect of your image. As always, posing techniques, composition, and lighting will be important considerations as well.

Some Inspiration:
    Digital Art Action Scenes
    Human Action Poses
    Action Photography
    The Fundamentals of Action Photography
    The Best Sports Photos of 2016

While we encourage you to create your own poses from scratch for this contest, many of the pose sets available in the store can offer some great inspiration on how to use props in active situations!

To fit the theme of "Action & Props," your render could depict anything from a melee to a barbecue, or from a pop concert to a masquerade ball, or even a bar room brawl. The key points are that it must include some sort of dynamic movement or activity, and that it must involve interaction between figures and props (tools, weapons, or any sort of objects being manipulated).

Prior  Action / Using Props Challenges:

May, 2022

May, 2021

May, 2020

May, 2019

May, 2018

May, 2017

May, 2016

Tutorials

How to Make Your Own Props in Daz Studio
    How To Create A Smart Prop in Daz Studio
    Daz 101: Posing
    Pinning, Posing and the Active Pose Tool
    Daz Studio Animation Tutorial: Step by Step

I will be checking in as will the rest of the Community Volunteers to try and help with anything you all may need.

Post edited by Leana on
    edited April 2023

Intermediate Challenge:
    "Using Modifiers and Deformers"

This is a general render challenge with the focus on using Modifiers and/or Deformers within your action scene. We are providing you with some links on the topics from a variety of sources. Utilizinging modifiers and deformers well can add that extra touch of realism to help create a dynamic looking and fluid scene. It is a fundamental skill for those wishing to show movement, customize items to better suit the use within a scene, or to fix issues such as pokethrough.

*If participating in the Intermediate Challenge, please be sure to list what item(s) within your scene you have modified/deformed*

General Information:

Push Modifier / Push Modifier Weight Node

Smoothing Modifier (Also covers deformers)

Deformers

Generally, push modifiers, smoothing modifiers, and deformers can all be used to manipulate existing geometry to change it's shaping. You could use a Push Modifier to make Genesis 8 pregnant or to make a dent in an object. You could use the smoothing modifier to show a face smooshing up from a punch (like a freeze frame of the hit) or to show pressure on a matress or couch. You can use a deformer to change the shape of a character, to change the shape or damage a prop, or to fix pokethrough or issues between items. There is an unlimited amount of things that can be done with the 3 and a lot of advanced topics to using the 3 as well but hopefully this will give you a better basic understanding of how to add them and how they can be used.

Handy Products to Use to help with using the Modifiers or Deformers :

Mesh Grabber Bundle by ManFriday - Individual Bundle Items also Sold Separately. 
    InstaEdit by Callidus Simia
    Ghost Dynamics by KindredArts

Prior Modifiers and Deformers Challenges:

May, 2022

May 2021

May, 2020

May, 2019

May, 2018

May, 2017

May, 2016

I will be checking in as will the rest of the Community Volunteers to try and help with anything you all may need.

Post edited by Leana on
  • Shinji Ikari 9thShinji Ikari 9th Posts: 1,161

Here's my start for this month.

I'm thinking beginner with the idea of setting up an ambush of the character entering the darkend room we are in.

The reason for the distance we are from him is to get the hint of lighting from the external environment on the tables.  That is also why the room is as dark as it is at this time due to losing that enviromental lighting.

may2023a.jpg
    1280 x 720 - 493K

Version B with a change to the pose of the character entering the room, some texture work done and a skeleton added at one of the tables.

may2023b.jpg
    1280 x 720 - 496K

Nice start!

I like the idea of the dark room with light coming from the outside, but right now it's a bit too dark IMO (or maybe it's my screen?) as you barely see the skeleton. 

Change of pose makes it more dynamic, first pose was more "routine patrol" while the second one suggests the character is expecting or reacting to something unusual. The second pose seems a bit unnatural/unstable to me for some reason though, not sure exactly why...

I admit that lighting is one of my weaker points so I'll have to see what I can do with that.  The pose change was to give a since of being cautious in an unknown area like in the Fallout games.  If I go through a building or area that I haven't cleared out I have my weapon at the ready incase I get ambushed, so that's what I was trying to have my character doing back there.

• Alias52Alias52 Posts: 283
    edited May 2023

Liking it so far. What do you use as your lighting normally? Everyone has different preferences on that and it can be tricky to get an effect you want. There are some great lighting sets available to shed a little more light on scenes. I have used  Iray Ghost Light Prop Kit  in the past to add some light when you do not want to use directed lights. Also, something like  Modular Sci-Fi Wall Lights in this kind of environment could work. Modular Sci-Fi Light Walls Set is same but slightly different. Looking forwards to what you do next.

Will have to look at deformers again to get started on something for this month.

Post edited by Alias52 on

I make use of what light sorces are in my set, though if I'm using something that was made before Iray was added to Daz I need to locate those serfaces and retexture them.  Since the room we are in has some windows behind us, I have an HDMI in use to get the slight lighter bluish green glint on the table next to the camera.  That makes it harder to adjust the serfaces that I've set up as the lights in the room to see things better because if I go too high we lose the glint from outside the windows.  Darker scenes can be tricky for me to find a good balance.  Maybe I can take a look in the render settings in a bit.

Starting to Play.

Will be Intermediate. Not even close yet.Just a little try with deformers, mesh grabbers and geoshells. Stil cannot attach files. Two weeks and counting to get help ticket answered...

• HLEET_3DHLEET_3D Posts: 172
    edited May 2023

Title : "Hula Hoop a day keeps the doctor away"
    Challenge : intermediate
    Software : Daz studio

Note : the deformation is on the belly/hoop

hleet_3D_0590.jpg
    3000 x 3000 - 7M
    Post edited by HLEET_3D on

Version C here. I added a tracer stream and muzzle flash to add some light to the scene.  I've yet to decide what he is shooting at, and I'll have to think about it later because I'm going to have to leave for work soon.

may2023c.jpg
    1280 x 720 - 545K
  • apprenticeapprentice Posts: 57
    edited May 2023

Title: Ski Sport

Level: Beginner

This is not the final entry. I learned something new in photoshop (motion blur). So in the final entry the rotors will have this technique applied. Nevertheless I think something is missing.

ski-sportv1.png
    1920 x 1080 - 1M
    Post edited by apprentice on

Great job, folks.

Hleet. I really like the way you deformed the stomach. 

Shinji. Extra lighting is working.

Apprentice. Looks good, but the character looks a little cut out from the scene. I can see the DOF of the helicopter. Can you blend the skier in?

• aprilshowers2065aprilshowers2065 Posts: 699
    edited May 2023

Baking Day

Intermediate

Used deformers and push modifiers on the dough, as well as to fix the poke through on her outfit

Making Bread.png
    1667 x 2000 - 6M
    Post edited by aprilshowers2065 on

Alias52 said:

Starting to Play.

Will be Intermediate. Not even close yet.Just a little try with deformers, mesh grabbers and geoshells. Stil cannot attach files. Two weeks and counting to get help ticket answered...

Nice start. Poor guy had a rough day it seems...

HLEET_3D said:

Title : "Hula Hoop a day keeps the doctor away"
    Challenge : intermediate
    Software : Daz studio

Note : the deformation is on the belly/hoop

Nice work on the belly deformation.

What swimsuit is that? There's something weird about the strap between the breats, I don't know if it's the model design or a fitting artifact...

Shinji Ikari 9th said:

Version C here. I added a tracer stream and muzzle flash to add some light to the scene.  I've yet to decide what he is shooting at, and I'll have to think about it later because I'm going to have to leave for work soon.

More light looks good, and the fact that he's shooting at something makes the pose work better.

apprentice said:

Title: Ski Sport

Level: Beginner

This is not the final entry. I learned something new in photoshop (motion blur). So in the final entry the rotors will have this technique applied. Nevertheless I think something is missing.

Looks pretty good as a start. I think the character is not really integrated in the scene, probably because she's jumping so there's no interaction with the surroundings. Maybe add a few snow splashes coming from the ground, or something like that?

aprilshowers2065 said:

Baking Day

Intermediate

Used deformers and push modifiers on the dough, as well as to fix the poke through on her outfit

Nice one! The scene is quite believable.

There's something strange with the sink, somehow it looks flat to me. Maybe that's because of the camera angle?

• aprilshowers2065aprilshowers2065 Posts: 699
    edited May 2023

Thanks @Leana. I think it's the angle and the reflectivity of the sink that's making it look weird. I put some dishes in the sink so you can see the depth laugh

Making Bread.png
    1667 x 2000 - 5M
    Post edited by aprilshowers2065 on
  • Aki3dAki3d Posts: 142
    edited May 2023

Driving Dog

intermediate

The deformer is on the dog to simulate the wind in his mouth

driving dog.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 1M
    Post edited by Aki3d on

Hard Day at the Office

Intermediate

Still cannot attach files. Sigh... Had way less time than I expected to work on this. A few deformers in the armour, a little mesh grabber and some geoshells involved. Not really totally happy with it. Doesn't quite match the picture I had in my head...

• marconft6marconft6 Posts: 56

Intermediate Challenge

Title: My Nightmare Takes Me

An image straight out of a horror film. A young woman is dragged away by her own nightmare self.

(Items used: Nam Terror Set, Minami Hair, Grasp Helper, and a bunch of props that I don't know where from, lol)

Zero post work done. Deformed the cheek of the young woman. The walls are also deformed where she is grabbing, but with my lighting choices, they aren't as visible as originally intended.

Unable to attach a file.... for some reason. Might try again later.

• marconft6marconft6 Posts: 56

Alias52 said:

Still cannot attach files. Sigh... Had way less time than I expected to work on this. A few deformers in the armour, a little mesh grabber and some geoshells involved. Not really totally happy with it. Doesn't quite match the picture I had in my head...

The pictures in my head are freaking awesome. What I end up producing never matches how good I think it should appear. We're working on it though, right?

Yes indeed we are! With the way your picture turned out, not sure I need to see the thought picture. Good job.
  • DAZ_ann0314DAZ_ann0314 Posts: 2,783

May 2023

Showcased Participants for the April Using Props Challenge (Beginner)

Composition by apprentice

Composition by Shinji Ikari 9th

Showcased Participants for the April Push Modifiers and Deformers Challenge (Intermediate)

Composition by manconft6

Composition by aki3d

Composition by Alias52

CONGRATULATIONS TO EVERYONE!! You all did amazing this month! heart

• Congrats! Great entries!

Thank you so much! Well done to everyone!