Daz3d has become unusable on my computer (Bug with copying keyframes)

ExitofExitof Posts: 43
edited July 29 in Daz Studio Discussion

I first installed Daz maybe over 10 years ago now, and I've been able to create many scenes with multiple characters all kitted up.

Now, I can't even get one character to work anymore. I've got Bridget 8 loaded and fully clothed (shoes, shorts, shirt, jacket) and hair. I tried setting keyframes for animation, and now anytime I try to select along the timeline, it freezes up.

Two characters and it pretty much crashes as soon as I add hair to the second character.

It was not like this in previous versions.

I've left it in "not responding" mode for about 30 minutes to make sure it wasn't something just taking a long time, but this is ridiculous.

Pretty much anything I try causes the application to freeze up. Thought maybe it was a bug, so updated from 4.2.1 to 4.2.2. Same issue.

I've tried restarting and loading no other programs but Daz, but the same results.

My system: Windows 10, 7th Gen Intel i5 running at 4.7 gHz, 32 GB system RAM, 3060ti (8GB) & 3060 (12GB)

---

Okay, so I installed the latest Daz application on my Mac Book Pro M1 with 16 GB system RAM and 10 cores (8 performance/2 efficiency). Loaded in one character, dressed the same as on the PC, placed some cubes, and moved things around. CRASH.

There is no winning here. Daz3D = unstable.

---

Alright, this is actually a bug. It wasn't anything to do with virtual memory, rather this is a bug that happens when copying keyframes. Strike a pose, copy all the keyframes of the full character, paste elsewhere. It explodes as soon as you try to move in the timeline.

Post edited by Exitof on

Comments

• FishtalesFishtales Posts: 6,095

Try increasing the virtual memory on your discs.

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 99,075

Do you have the HEAT plug-in installed?

• ExitofExitof Posts: 43

Fishtales said:

This is a good guess, as I have been one to outright disable virtual memory in the past because I hate it for the speed loss (spinning HDs) especially when having more system RAM than needed by almost all applications. This hatred comes from my days using it on an Amiga, back when memory was truly limited.

I recently disabled it entirely on my Windows 11 laptop after Windows kept over allocating space double the maximum set (20+ GB), but eventually set it to 4 GB when it refused to stay disabled.

I'll try upping it on my Windows 10 system and see if that changes anything.

Richard Haseltine said:

Do you have the HEAT plug-in installed?

I've not installed it yet.

• Exitof said:

Fishtales said:

This is a good guess, as I have been one to outright disable virtual memory in the past because I hate it for the speed loss (spinning HDs) especially when having more system RAM than needed by almost all applications. This hatred comes from my days using it on an Amiga, back when memory was truly limited.

I recently disabled it entirely on my Windows 11 laptop after Windows kept over allocating space double the maximum set (20+ GB), but eventually set it to 4 GB when it refused to stay disabled.

I'll try upping it on my Windows 10 system and see if that changes anything.

Completely disabling virtual memory is never a good idea since it is by default also used to support system crash-dumps.

Completely disabling virtual memory is never a good idea since it is by default also used to support system crash-dumps.

I have no use for system crash dumps. I'm also the type that disables autoupdates and clears out all the services I'll never need or want.

I disagree in saying that it's "never" a good idea, as that's an absolute.

• PerttiAPerttiA Posts: 10,003

32GB's is considered the minimum for the latest versions of DS when using relatively recent assets, with that amount one is almost certainly using virtual memory and if there is none, DS will probably crash if it doesn't take even the OS with it.

Already with DS 4.15 and 32GB's, I found my computer using virtual memory at times, but upgrading to 64GB's got rid of the symptoms (sluggishness)

• Exitof said:

I have no use for system crash dumps. I'm also the type that disables autoupdates and clears out all the services I'll never need or want.

I disagree in saying that it's "never" a good idea, as that's an absolute.

Running without pagefile is literally never a good idea except in one scenario -- when your system doesn't have a writeable disk.

In all other cases it is a micro-optimization at best and serves no practical purpose while it can lead to problems and (as you seem to have found out the hard way) crashing.

https://serverfault.com/questions/23621/any-benefit-or-detriment-from-removing-a-pagefile-on-an-8-gb-ram-machine/23684#23684