Diamonds Gemstones Textures or Techniques

FauvistFauvist Posts: 2,048

What product or shader technique gives the most brilliant and realistic effect for gemstones like diamonds, rubys, emeralds, etc.?  Either in DAZ Studio or Poser.  Is there a gemstone material that's great?  Or does some glass shader work best?

Thanks!

Comments

• nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 18,024
    edited July 2018

I like these from AllenArt 

https://sharecg.com/v/85120/gallery/21/DAZ-Studio/AllenArt-Iray-Jewelry-Shaders

and if you look at her other freebies there are very good ones.

Post edited by nonesuch00 on
  • ChangelingChickChangelingChick Posts: 3,129
    Fauvist said:

What product or shader technique gives the most brilliant and realistic effect for gemstones like diamonds, rubys, emeralds, etc.?  Either in DAZ Studio or Poser.  Is there a gemstone material that's great?  Or does some glass shader work best?

Thanks!

The default diamond shader that comes with DS is excellent. Just turn off smoothing in the surface settings.

• nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 18,024

DAZ UberiRay also has Jade too.

• nemesis10nemesis10 Posts: 3,362
    edited July 2018
    Fauvist said:

Thanks!

So, I did a little experiment.... I would suggest Daz Studio iray since you have a nice free physically correct shader for diamond already.  Next, use a model that has crisp sharp edges with the right angles for a properly cut gem to get the right refraction; there are products in the store that are beautiful gems but a great place for free ones is http://www.3dlapidary.com/HTML/Collections.htm.  Next,  use a nice HDR background that has something to reflect, loads of light (i would suggest some point lights), and turn the Caustic sampler on.  I did a very quick render and did not do many of the suggestions but the gem itself isn't bad....
    I should mention that Carrara does the best diamonds (shape included, diamond shader included, and it does amazing caustics) and you could composite the gem in by rendering with a transparent background...

gem.jpg
    1631 x 1229 - 403K
    Post edited by nemesis10 on
  • Pixel8tedPixel8ted Posts: 588

I'd also recommend the Allen Arts Iray Jewelry shaders. Another good set is the Metal and gemstones.

https://www.daz3d.com/metal-and-gemstones

• FauvistFauvist Posts: 2,048
    nemesis10 said:
    Fauvist said:

So, I did a little experiment.... I would suggest Daz Studio iray since you have a nice free physically correct shader for diamond already.  Next, use a model that has crisp sharp edges with the right angles for a properly cut gem to get the right refraction; there are products in the store that are beautiful gems but a great place for free ones is http://www.3dlapidary.com/HTML/Collections.htm.  Next,  use a nice HDR background that has something to reflect, loads of light (i would suggest some point lights), and turn the Caustic sampler on.  I did a very quick render and did not do many of the suggestions but the gem itself isn't bad....
    I should mention that Carrara does the best diamonds (shape included, diamond shader included, and it does amazing caustics) and you could composite the gem in by rendering with a transparent background...

That's great!  Thank you.  I'll see if I can figure out how to try both the DAZ Studio and Carrara methods.  The free 3D gemstone site you gave me the link for is INCREDIBLE!

• nemesis10nemesis10 Posts: 3,362
    Fauvist said:
    nemesis10 said:
    Fauvist said:

That's great!  Thank you.  I'll see if I can figure out how to try both the DAZ Studio and Carrara methods.  The free 3D gemstone site you gave me the link for is INCREDIBLE!

I believe that Carrara has a sample scene with a diamond...  if your character is just going to hold it, you don’t even need to worry about caustics.  Use the default diamond shader, shine a spotlight on it, use a hdri, and maybe add a glint in postwork. Yep, that site is awesome; we have a relative who is a jeweler so I have become very educated about the accurate angles of gem shapes.

• AllenArtAllenArt Posts: 7,153
    edited July 2018

3D lapidary has been around for as long as I can remember doing 3D (which is a very long time....lol). Great stuff there ;) These days I grab some gem cutting diagrams and model them myself, but back in the day I used ALL 3D Lapidary's gems.

Laurie

Post edited by AllenArt on
  • FistyFisty Posts: 3,416

Rendering gems in Poser (firefly) is like pulling your own teeth, it's slooooooow.  Even 3Delight does it way better and much faster, and that's saying a lot.  DS Iray/Cararra/Bryce are your best bets, probably Blender too but I've not used it.

Allen Arts gem shaders are great, also a lot of my jewelry sets come with gem shaders, the ones that are stand alone jewelry, not the little things I toss in with characters.