daz studio next release

hi,

just wish to know if the next release of daz studio (4.9+) still available for old OS?  as old as window XP 32bit?

Comments

• XP has not been fully supported for some time - the ImageIO plug-in, for one, does not work in XP limiting the texture formats that can be read.

• MattymanxMattymanx Posts: 6,898

As a former XP x64 user I can tell you that DS4.9 does NOT work correctly in XP.  If you cannot upgrade you are better of staying with DS  4.6

• AnymatterAnymatter Posts: 95
    edited September 2016

thanks, there is also ds 4.8 pro ? works fine with my pc AT THIS MOMENT, so which is the best and the last version that works 100% perfect for the OS mentioned above? 4.6 or 4.8?

Post edited by Anymatter on
  • As far as I know 4.8 had the same image format issues as 4.9.

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001

One thing to consider...no matter how you slice it, a 32 bit OS/version Studio is going to be severely limited in what can be done.  Given that XP has a maximum of 4 GB of memory it can use with between 1 and 2 GB of that being reserved/used by Windows and another couple hundred to half a GB being used by Studio itself, you are going to be limited to rather small scenes. 

While Studio may not crash when running out of memory (although it is prone to doing so...) it will become nearly impossible to use because it will be so sluggish from being swapped to the hard drive.

• nicsttnicstt Posts: 11,715
    edited September 2016
    mjc1016 said:

One thing to consider...no matter how you slice it, a 32 bit OS/version Studio is going to be severely limited in what can be done.  Given that XP has a maximum of 4 GB of memory it can use with between 1 and 2 GB of that being reserved/used by Windows and another couple hundred to half a GB being used by Studio itself, you are going to be limited to rather small scenes. 

While Studio may not crash when running out of memory (although it is prone to doing so...) it will become nearly impossible to use because it will be so sluggish from being swapped to the hard drive.

It can have 4GB, but actually only uses around 3.5; if nothing else, I'd consider a 64bit version of XP (actually I wouldn't), but for the OP it might be a viable compromise; getting stuff to work with XP 64bit was tremendously entertaining. I remember welcoming Vista with open arms - course I soon realised it sucked but it was better than XP 64 imo.

I went from windows 2000 to XP 64 (only for a few months) then to Vista - those are not good memories. crying

Post edited by nicstt on
  • mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001

64 bit Studio is currently working with WINE...so, Linux is also an option (and yes I even had Smart Content working until I screwed up the settings and haven't gone back and redone them...).

• nicsttnicstt Posts: 11,715
    mjc1016 said:

64 bit Studio is currently working with WINE...so, Linux is also an option (and yes I even had Smart Content working until I screwed up the settings and haven't gone back and redone them...).

Do you have a workthrough of how you got it working?

• PetercatPetercat Posts: 2,321
    nicstt said:
    mjc1016 said:

Do you have a workthrough of how you got it working?

Please? Studio is my last Windows holdout, free the prisoner!