Backwards Compatible Clothing

Help us Poser fashionistas out and expand your earnings!  Since Genesis 3 isn't easily available for Posers users, please make new and existing fashions backwards compatible for earlier Daz figures including Genesis 2, Genesis and Generation 4. I still like getting down with Michael and Victoria 4. Genesis have too few clothing options that don't look shrink wrapped. Thanks!

00-main-hc-business-suit-a-for-genesis-3-males-daz3d.jpg
960 x 1248 - 108K
00-main-urban-survivors-hd-for-genesis-2-females-and-males-daz3d.jpg
960 x 1248 - 219K
urban_survivors_mainplaceholder-daz3d.jpg
960 x 1248 - 264K

Comments

• jestmartjestmart Posts: 4,449

Are you willing to pay more, possibly a lot more, for those extra rigging options?

• Mr_ EMr_ E Posts: 68

Oh, heck, yes! You have no idea how much I crave this.

• LeanaLeana Posts: 11,387

There are autofit clones available to go from Genesis 3 to Genesis 2. Yes, I know, you said your primary tool is Poser, but you could always use DS as a clothing conversion utility only.

• SickleYieldSickleYield Posts: 7,631
    edited September 2016

A clothing outfit for one character can take weeks to make.  A clothing outfit for THREE characters would take months if it was even literally possible (it would actually have to be three outfits; G2 and G1 have a different type of rigging from G3 so there's no way at all the same clothes can fit them).  There's no way I'm going to do that, and my few recent outfits have been skimpy and comparatively "easy" rigs.  Something like an Arki outfit?  Yeah, that's never going to happen ever.  It's a lovely idea but it's just not technically feasible.

Post edited by SickleYield on
  • Well I have found SickleYields genesis clones rather good for items like the ones shown, not all those specific ones but I have those wishlisted as I know they will work.

• Mr_ EMr_ E Posts: 68

A clothing outfit for one character can take weeks to make.  A clothing outfit for THREE characters would take months if it was even literally possible (it would actually have to be three outfits; G2 and G1 have a different type of rigging from G3 so there's no way at all the same clothes can fit them).  There's no way I'm going to do that, and my few recent outfits have been skimpy and comparatively "easy" rigs.  Something like an Arki outfit?  Yeah, that's never going to happen ever.  It's a lovely idea but it's just not technically feasible.

Really, I had no idea it was that complicated. However, there's a market for new clothes with realistic draping and wrinkles for earlier generations. I used to spend a lot of money monthly until new items stopped being created for earlier generations. Since new Poser products ended with Genesis 2,  there's little to chose from because I bought everything I wanted. Please continue creating generation specific clothes and include heavy morphs.

• Mr. E said:

Really, I had no idea it was that complicated. However, there's a market for new clothes with realistic draping and wrinkles for earlier generations. I used to spend a lot of money monthly until new items stopped being created for earlier generations. Since new Poser products ended with Genesis 2,  there's little to chose from because I bought everything I wanted. Please continue creating generation specific clothes and include heavy morphs.

It gets worse. Not only would they have to be rigged for each base character and modified for whatever other DAZ Original one that the vendor wanted to support, they would also realistically require the vendor to learn 4 different render engines (two in Poser, two in DAZ Studio).

• Oso3DOso3D Posts: 14,957

AND I WANT IT FOR FIVE BUCKS, YOU GOUGER!

yeah, I don't envy PAs. ;)

• PetercatPetercat Posts: 2,321

AND I WANT IT FOR FIVE BUCKS, YOU GOUGER!

yeah, I don't envy PAs. ;)

+1 but I also don't envy people like me who don't use G3 figures. No more new stuff for us.

• Honestly, it might be easier for the PA to start with the Genesis or G2--- maybe even the Mil4 figures--- and autoconvert forward, making adjustments as necessary.  But don't take my word for it:  I don't do clothes (yet).

• Oso3DOso3D Posts: 14,957

Petercat: Eh, I have 500+ items on my wishlist to get through. Plus things like cars and spaceships and houses and trees and animals and landscapes...

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001

Honestly, it might be easier for the PA to start with the Genesis or G2--- maybe even the Mil4 figures--- and autoconvert forward, making adjustments as necessary.  But don't take my word for it:  I don't do clothes (yet).

Umm...NO! 

Rigging for 4th generation figures is not easy and is quite a bit of a nightmare in its own...straight up parametric rigging, not weigt mapping...and adding the morphs needed to support anything other than the base shapes is an art form by itself.

From Genesis up...maybe.  But you will still need to spend an inordinate amount of time fixing the inevitable problem spots.  Otherwise, you are back to rigging from scratch for each generation.

mjc1016 said:

Honestly, it might be easier for the PA to start with the Genesis or G2--- maybe even the Mil4 figures--- and autoconvert forward, making adjustments as necessary.  But don't take my word for it:  I don't do clothes (yet).

Umm...NO! 

Rigging for 4th generation figures is not easy and is quite a bit of a nightmare in its own...straight up parametric rigging, not weigt mapping...and adding the morphs needed to support anything other than the base shapes is an art form by itself.

From Genesis up...maybe.  But you will still need to spend an inordinate amount of time fixing the inevitable problem spots.  Otherwise, you are back to rigging from scratch for each generation.

This right here.  Gen 4 to Genesis 3 is THREE different kinds of rigging (parametric, TriAx, and Dual Quaternion).  Not only do all require some JCM on for e.g. thigh bends but all require DIFFERENT JCM because all of them screw up the bends differently when unmodified.

• mjc1016 said:

Umm...NO! 

This right here.  Gen 4 to Genesis 3 is THREE different kinds of rigging (parametric, TriAx, and Dual Quaternion).  Not only do all require some JCM on for e.g. thigh bends but all require DIFFERENT JCM because all of them screw up the bends differently when unmodified.

Holy cow!  And that, lasses and lads, is why I don't make clothes yet...

Would it be concievable, at least, to re-use the same mesh at least?

mjc1016 said:

Umm...NO! 

Holy cow!  And that, lasses and lads, is why I don't make clothes yet...

Would it be concievable, at least, to re-use the same mesh at least?

Umm...THAT is with using the same mesh.  It's even worse using individiual meshes.

• So how would the mesh be best optimized (supposing it's already cut to the first shape) to carry every figure's rigging?

So how would the mesh be best optimized (supposing it's already cut to the first shape) to carry every figure's rigging?

You wouldn't cut it to the first shape.  You'd mesh it to roughly the density of Genesis 3 because it's relatively close to G1 and G2, and then you'd do a subdivided version to be closer to the density of Generation 4 but use the same UV (Generation 4 was not originally intended to use SubD if memory serves, so its base mesh is denser).  You would have to over-subdivide the knee and elbow areas to try to compensate for every figure's differences.  You could probably drag the nipple areas around to roughly the right places when you did the mesh adjustment for the other six figures you didn't do the base mesh on originally.  You'd need to do the most mesh adjustment pre-rigging for Genesis because of its androgynous base shape.

There would be UV distortions in the chest area on either all the males and Genesis, or all the females, depending on which figure you did the base mesh for first.  That's not a huge deal-breaker if it's an item without a huge amount of detail in the center chest area. 

Then you would start trying to actually rig.  It would be easy enough for Genesis and Genesis 2, just a couple of extra JCMs in the thigh areas.  Then you would start trying to rig for Genesis 3 and the Generation 4's, realize you were looking at 10 JCMs per gender per figure, and have a nervous breakdown or a psychotic episode.  Once released from the hospital, you would take up a career in something easier, like retirement caregiving or juggling chainsaws.

• LlynaraLlynara Posts: 4,770

Would love to see this too, but wow. Didn't realize juggling chainsaws would be easier. It was exciting to see something new for M4 come out a few months ago (Lord of Snow.) That's a gorgeous outfit. Haven't tried autofitting it to more recent figures yet but presume it'll do just fine.

Then you would start trying to actually rig.  It would be easy enough for Genesis and Genesis 2, just a couple of extra JCMs in the thigh areas.  Then you would start trying to rig for Genesis 3 and the Generation 4's, realize you were looking at 10 JCMs per gender per figure, and have a nervous breakdown or a psychotic episode.  Once released from the hospital, you would take up a career in something easier, like retirement caregiving or juggling chainsaws.

Only 10?  Does that count 2 correctives for the anatomical elements so you don't end up with very odd distortions?

And nuclear waste handler comes to mind as nice, non-exciting career option...

edited October 2016
    mjc1016 said:

Only 10?  Does that count 2 correctives for the anatomical elements so you don't end up with very odd distortions?

And nuclear waste handler comes to mind as nice, non-exciting career option...

No I did not, so at least 12!  And that's before doing the mandatory adjustment and/or movement morphs if it's anything but a bodysuit.

I've taken the tour at the Hanford Nuclear Reservation, and I understand from this that nuclear waste handling is actually a very quiet job.  Unless you do it really, really wrong. XD

Lord of Snow should convert pretty well with relevant clones provided the cape is a prop (as on the Rune armor set).  If not you might still be able to use it by parenting instead of conforming it.  It's a Littlefox/x set so I expect it probably has some good adjustment morphs.

Post edited by SickleYield on