Liquid Metal Texture Suggestion

aaronleescribeaaronleescribe Posts: 20
edited October 2016 in Product Suggestions
Hello Everyone, I'm not sure if this product already exists but I'm looking for a skin texture that can give me the effect of liquid metal like Terminator 2 or Colossus from X-Men. Please provide a link so I can get it. Thanks in advance.
maxresdefault.jpg
1280 x 720 - 62K
Post edited by aaronleescribe on

Comments

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001

Which renderer?

• XenomorphineXenomorphine Posts: 2,421

Just use a metal shader and apply it to all of the surfaces. It's the same way you use stone shaders to create the illusion of statues. :)

• Just use a metal shader and apply it to all of the surfaces. It's the same way you use stone shaders to create the illusion of statues. :)

Is that on the surfaces tab?
  • mjc1016 said:

Which renderer?

Don't matter. I'm using it for my storyboard so I'm back and forth between 3delight and Iray.
  • srieschsriesch Posts: 4,241
    edited October 2016

Just use a metal shader and apply it to all of the surfaces. It's the same way you use stone shaders to create the illusion of statues. :)

You would select the surface, then look for a shader (or shader preset) in your content library.  For example, Chrome.duf is in the default lights and shaders if you are using the 3DL shader.  Or maybe you purchased a shader product like Advanced Metal Creator, or whatever.

You could probably create a basic metal shader by manually messing with the parameters in the surfaces tab too, but it would be a lot easier to use/modify an existing product.

Important, remember reflective things look that way because they reflect what's around them, so you'll need a skydome or the iray equivelant, or a material with faked reflections.

Post edited by sriesch on
  • mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    sriesch said:

You would select the surface, then look for a shader (or shader preset) in your content library.  For example, Chrome.duf is in the default lights and shaders if you are using the 3DL shader.  Or maybe you purchased a shader product like Advanced Metal Creator, or whatever.

You could probably create a basic metal shader by manually messing with the parameters in the surfaces tab too, but it would be a lot easier to use/modify an existing product.

Important, remember reflective things look that way because they reflect what's around them, so you'll need a skydome or the iray equivelant, or a material with faked reflections.

Well, it matters, in that a 3DL shader won't work in Iray and an Iray one won't work in 3DL...

Now, that said.  The chrome mentioned above, for 3DL  NEEDS either a 'reflection' map or a full environment.

There are several metal presets in the Daz and Nvidia Iray folders...