Folded Clothes Option

nelsonsmithnelsonsmith Posts: 1,336
edited October 2016 in Product Suggestions

Recently did a render where I didn't want the jacket on the character, but laying on the ground, and realized clothes only appear as if they are on a body regardless.  It would nice if occasionally clothes had a folded or draped option so that you could lay them out sans character. For instance lots of guys walk around with their coat or jacket slung over their shoulder, and who hasn't hung a jacket on the back of a chair?

relaxed-man-serious-young-attractive-businessman-white-shirt-jacket-over-his-shoulder-posing-white-background-30732525.jpg
300 x 450 - 24K
msm-suit-jacket-on-back-of-chair-3.jpg
1200 x 1200 - 280K
Post edited by nelsonsmith on

Comments

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,846
    A Gentlemen's Wardrobe http://www.daz3d.com/a-gentleman-s-wardrobe has what you are looking for as far as a draped jacket goes.
  • nelsonsmithnelsonsmith Posts: 1,336

That's it exactly.

• IsaacNewtonIsaacNewton Posts: 1,300

Nelsonsmith, you are absolutely right, clothes are not always worn, sometimes they are on the sofa or bed or floor, whereever! Occassionally a PA will put in one or two such morphs (but sadly not often).

The best solution would be a proper dynamic clothing function within DS (or as plugin) which allowed you to clothify normal objects (as can be done in Poser for example). Unfortunately, this does not exist at present within DS. Due to the system chosen by DAZ3d, only objects specifically designed to be dynamic clothing may be used as dynamic objects where "gravity" can distort the object. Moreover, the software required to make such dynamic clothing (for the system used by DAZ which is called OptiTex, I believe) is very expensive. Most PAs therefore do not make dynamic clothing as the chance of recouping the cost of the software is small.

There are ways of exporting a clothing item to a program like Poser which can convert the clothing into a dynamic object. Then you can allow it to drape into the position you want and then export that as an object. You can then import the new shape as a morph for the clothing. This is quite a time consuming process and you need to create a new morph for each draped position. Most PA's do not go to this effort with their clothing items. However, if you have a specific pose in mind, this might be worth the effort for you.

I don't blame the PA's for this. What would be really great is if a PA could create a plugin which could clothify the clothing item directly in DS in real time. (They might not be able to use the term Clothify as it may be covered by copyright, but that should not be a problem.)

• This product allows you to drape the MFD over a variety of furniture:  http://www.daz3d.com/make-a-mess . If you're looking to drape some other piece of clothing, I've had some success in making textures for the MFD that look sufficiently like the actual piece of clothing I want when dumped on the floor. Obviously it works better for shirts/skirts/dresses whan it would for trousers.

The freebies by Beat578 over on Rendo tend to include dropped and folded morphs - https://www.renderosity.com/mod/freestuff/contributor/Beat578 - I wish more paid-for clothes would do the same.

Check out this thread for more tips: http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/comment/1536701

Thanks guys,  great suggestions!

• jakobrhjakobrh Posts: 101

It is possible to find a number of morphs that turn human figures into different kinds of beasts/deamon/zombies.

What if someone made a morph that gave the figure a flat chest with adjustable thickness and curved shoulders (to match many chairs) and a strange shoulder/neck morph (to match a wardrobe hanger).
    Auto fit the clothes to this figure and make the figure invisible in the render.

Does  http://www.daz3d.com/make-a-mess . work with g3f and g3m clothes?

• there are other dynamic solutions for sale at Renderosity inc Virtual World dynamics and Poser is on special too.

I cannot link but you can google search.

Most PA' s use Poser to create draping morphs.

you can use primitives in Poser to guide clothes into folded positions.

Also using hybrid dynamics can be useful as rigging is maintained if using Poser compatable figures/clothes even DSON imports.

Then export the obj as a morph for morph loader.

jakobrh said:

It is possible to find a number of morphs that turn human figures into different kinds of beasts/deamon/zombies.

What if someone made a morph that gave the figure a flat chest with adjustable thickness and curved shoulders (to match many chairs) and a strange shoulder/neck morph (to match a wardrobe hanger).
    Auto fit the clothes to this figure and make the figure invisible in the render.

That's actually an interesting experiment to try.

• jakobrh said:

well since you can redistribute/sell morphs I guess clothifying the base figure's mesh in Poser could work too for fitted clothes if close fitting.

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    edited November 2016

Well, here's a quick 'proof of concept' trial...

I used Blender to 'clothify' G3F and 'pinned' parts of her in place before running the sim against the hanger prop.  I did a quick smooth/cleanup of the mesh before exporting back to Studio.  Then I loaded the 'hanging' G3F through Morph Loader, fit the dress as usual (it's Wilmaps Princess Line dress for G3F), hid G3F and hit render...

hangingdress.png
    640 x 512 - 244K
    Post edited by mjc1016 on
  • IsaacNewtonIsaacNewton Posts: 1,300

Glad you found a solution to your needs.

Oh what hoops we have to jump through! I wish DAZ would update DS with a system which would clothify any object (as in Poser, Blender etc)... or ask a PA to write a plugin to do that... it would save us so much hassle!

jakobrh said:

Make a Mess works only with Morphing Fantasy Dress for Genesis

• mjc1016 said:

I used Blender to 'clothify' G3F and 'pinned' parts of her in place before running the sim against the hanger prop.  I did a quick smooth/cleanup of the mesh before exporting back to Studio.  Then I loaded the 'hanging' G3F through Morph Loader, fit the dress as usual (it's Wilmaps Princess Line dress for G3F), hid G3F and hit render...

you could share that morph if you wished too.

ToeJam said:

you could share that morph if you wished too.

I'll get a couple more done...a 'draped' one and a couple of more I have in mind...and clean them up a little.

mjc1016 said:

That looks great!

Man!  You guys are on it!    This is great.

edited November 2016

I made a couple of changes, so now the rigging, while adjusted is closer to the original, so the morph will accept poses and the pose controls are useful.  This basically means if you can pose G3F into a 'draped' position, the clothing will follow along.  Also, there's a lot of control in what you can do with it...

(oh yeah, it works with long sleeves, now, too!)

Depending on the article of clothing used, you may need to switch the collision object to the hanger or whatever you have the clothing draped on.

Another thing that is easy to do with this:  Put the clothing item on G3F and morph and pose it.  Then make sure the clothing is at base resolution and everything, except it, is hidden.  Then export it as an obj, then use Morph Loader it import it as a morph for the clothing item.  

I'm not quite sure how soon I'll post it, but it should be sometime this week. 

clotheshang2.png
    512 x 640 - 132K
    edited November 2016

I should be able to post it tonight...final tweaks are done and saved out.   I'm not going to bother with any correction morphs, so on some items there can be some stretching/distortion in the chest area, but for the most part it's worked on most dresses/shirts I've tried.   One other 'problem' area is with items that have high levels of modeled wrinkles...those don't smooth out like they should for a hanging item, so I'd probably avoid using those for hanging items.

Since I went with keeping the original t-pose/rigging close to 'standard', you'll have to pose the arms/sleeves to preserve the hanging effect, but there is a lot more control doing that, than the way I had originally set it up.

Broke all the limits on the pose...but...

And if this proves popular, I may be convinced to do a Genesis/Genesis 2 set...which would really expand the stuff you can load a closet with (or throw around a room).

clotheshang3.png
    512 x 640 - 106K
  • Well done,  definitely a thinking outside the box solution.