Please Either Update Hexagon or Integrate It With Daz Studio

Okay. Here's the thing. I have not had any real luck in finding decent software for creating 3D models. The one's I've heard of are either obscenely expensive or are riddled with abysmal UI (*cough* Blender *cough*). The one that I've had the most luck with is Hexagon.

Now I know that it is highly unlikely at this point that Hexagon will be updated. I know that. But please, whoever's running the show here, please at least consider it! And if that's not an option, then is there any chance that someone could integrate all the modeling goodness of Hexagon with DAZ Studio itself? Either as a Plug-In or new update or something? That would really be great!

(And before anybody asks, yes, I have heard that it is possible to model in Carrara. However, from what I understand, it isn't getting any product support either, like Hexagon. So I think that integrating Hexagon's modeling options into DAZ itself might be the better option.

Comments

• Adding basic content creation tools to it would vastly complicate the interface. I don't have any power to promote or veto the idea, but I don't think it would be as worthwhile as you believe. DS is like a page layout application - InDesign or Quark - for arranging and integrating cntent made elsewhere. Just as people write their text and create their images in another application for placement in the page layout application, bar minor adjustments, so people will generally be better off using a dedicated modeller/sculpting tool/image editor for those tasks and then bringing the results into DS.

• nicsttnicstt Posts: 11,715

I'd agree with Richard on the whole.

The bridge for Hexagon works great, sadly Hexagon is less great - although some love it.

• I'm but a hobbyist mind you, in the very sense of the word. But I also have to agree with the above comments as well. I think one program which tries to "do it all" is bound to become overcomplicated per definition. In my opinion you can see a good example of that with Blender. It is an impressive project, I'm not denying that, but it's also not much of a favorite of mine either.

And I can't help share that the combination of DS + Hexagon still work pretty good for me. I read about the issues some people are having and I can't fully comment on that. But I've managed to do some pretty interesting stuff nonetheless. Like exporting a Genesis character (Riley for Stephanie 5) into Hexagon (using the bridge option: "Send to Hexagon") and then customizing parts of the model and re-using that in DS. Now, the results weren't too impressive, but that had more to do with my inexperience with Hexagon than the software itself.

But yeah, I'm pretty content with keeping both programs and both functions separated. Comparable to Bryce & DS. Bryce is awesome for generating landscapes, but I don't think I'd like all those options to be included in DS eitther. The Bryce interface is pretty solid for what it needs to do.

As always: just my 2 cents.

• ShelLuser said:

I'm but a hobbyist mind you, in the very sense of the word. But I also have to agree with the above comments as well. I think one program which tries to "do it all" is bound to become overcomplicated per definition. In my opinion you can see a good example of that with Blender. It is an impressive project, I'm not denying that, but it's also not much of a favorite of mine either.

And I can't help share that the combination of DS + Hexagon still work pretty good for me. I read about the issues some people are having and I can't fully comment on that. But I've managed to do some pretty interesting stuff nonetheless. Like exporting a Genesis character (Riley for Stephanie 5) into Hexagon (using the bridge option: "Send to Hexagon") and then customizing parts of the model and re-using that in DS. Now, the results weren't too impressive, but that had more to do with my inexperience with Hexagon than the software itself.

But yeah, I'm pretty content with keeping both programs and both functions separated. Comparable to Bryce & DS. Bryce is awesome for generating landscapes, but I don't think I'd like all those options to be included in DS eitther. The Bryce interface is pretty solid for what it needs to do.

As always: just my 2 cents.

Alright, alright. I wasn't sure. It's just...I've tried some different 3D modeling programs out there, and they are generally difficult to use (with Blender being the undefeated king of User-Unfriendliness, in my honest opinion) or expensive (Lightwave generally runs at $995, for crying out loud!) Hexagon is the only program I've ever used that's both easy to pick up, easy to use, does a whole lot of stuff, and is reasonably priced. I would love for it to either get some fresh love or for its abilities to carry over into another program.

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001

Give Wings 3D a try for a basic modeller...

http://www.wings3d.com/

• As appealing as that sounds - that is impossible.

As far as I know from my ventures into coding and program development - it would be easier to make an entirely new program (or write new tools/function for an existing one) than to fuse two programs together. (Especially one being 32 bit, the other 64 bit)
    I think somewhere in Hell, there might be a special place with that kinda torture for programmers... 

I guess we're stuck with the Hexagon Bridge. But to be honest - it's not that bad.

• I HATED blender when I first tried it. Unlike other programs though, blender was meant to be used with one hand on the mouse and the other on the keyboard to speed up the process. so if you draw up a list of hotkeys- and you'll probably only ever use 30 or so, its actually not that difficult to use. I come from lightwave and quickly gave it up when I started using blender and realised how good the program actually was. what I recommend is not going in cold though, but buying a course on udemy (there are plenty of vouchers online to get most courses for $10) or a book on amazon and going through that. (I think there are even free courses on YouTube) try find the newest course you can as the interface and keys are sometimes updated. it will only take two or three lessons for you to start wrapping your head around the interface, (and that silly but wonderful 3d curser that's assigned to the left click) and a few more to be able to use blender competently, but its really worth the investment as the things you can do are better than many $1000+ programs out there, from sculpting to water simulations to texture painting and sewing cloth. there's even a built in game engine, and if you ever get stuck the community is huge and very helpful. yes the interface isn't initiative, but like getting into a new car, you just need to be shown where all the buttons and switches are and you'll quickly feel right at home and even begin to wonder why you ever found it difficult
  • ZyloxZylox Posts: 787

I agree that updates for Hexagon and Carrara would be very nice. Sadly, it doesn't look like it will happen any time soon.

• mjc1016 said:

Give Wings 3D a try for a basic modeller...

http://www.wings3d.com/

Wings 3D, huh? Haven't heard of that one before. Might as well give it a go.

• There were some indications a while back that Hexagon would be getting updated. It's lamentable that this has not yet happened.

We need something as intuitive to use as the excellent browser-based https://www.tinkercad.com is, along with something just as simplistic for painting the surfaces of an end result. The intricate complexities of stuff like 'UV mapping' goes well over most peoples heads - including my own. :) If we could just construct something, then turn it around in 3D space and physically just paint over it (with an option for 'snapping-to', so that it was painted symmetrically), that would open up a great deal of creativity.

Same goes for clothing. Many of us have great ideas for clothing, but there are simply no user-friendly tools for creating it.

• ablazeablaze Posts: 61

A Hexagon update would be welcomed. 

• ablaze said:

A Hexagon update would be welcomed. 

LMAO WHEN PIGS FLY 

• Moment of Inspiration (www.moi3d.com) is another great, simple modeler. It's a NURBS-based program, if that makes a difference. I use it for detail parts for scale models which are then 3D printed, but I've also started using it to create jewelry like chokers and rings for my Daz models. It was crated by one of the same guys who crated Rhino, but he wanted a simpler more streamlined interface. You can also speak with him directly on the MOI forums, which is something unique, having the actual designer answer your how-to questions. They also have a feww month long trial download. Give it a look.

Bob