Texture reduction script wanted!

Snipped this from the 4.9 Beta discussion. 

After you resize the texture files in Photoshop, do you have to go into the surface settings and select each image map and browse for your modified version? That seems cumbersome. I'm hoping there is a shortcut I'm not aware of.

Overwriting the maps would make them apply automatically, but they would then be replaced by the next update. A systematic renaming system (either of the files, or keeping the filenames but placing them in a new folder) should make the updating scriptable (or search-and-repalceable using a copy of the original materials presets).

I hadn't thought of the search and replace option. Notepad++ could handle that easily. We need a script master to make a tool to do the whole thing (reduce the images, plug them into the right slots) for us. V3Digitimes is a script master. I've suggested that she make something like this for the store. You are a script master, too. Maybe the two of you can collaborate.

Edit: It would be nice to just select an item in the scene pane and click something to make it use less video memory by reducing texture size. Maybe there could be options for how much to reduce it - 50%, 25%, etc.

I second this wholeheartedly!

Comments

• srieschsriesch Posts: 4,241

Not sure exactly how you want to use it or where, but if you are using DAZ Studio, look at Texture Atlas.  That will allow you reduce the texture size for all of the textures used by a figure and associated clothing and accessories nearly in one shot with some minor effort.

• KaribouKaribou Posts: 1,325

Maybe I'm not familiar enough with Texture Atlas, but I thought it asks you to set a map size, whereas I'd like to reduce by %.  If I'm changing the maps on every part of a prop environment with 50 maps, I don't want to have to look up the map size on every surface before calculating what a 50% decrease in map size is.  In many cases, very large props in a set (like a building or a road) have large maps, whereas something like the label on a bottle in the same set would have a tiny size.  Also, since Texture Atlas makes one huge map of everything selected, it makes use of the LIE problematic.

• DigiDotzDigiDotz Posts: 515
    edited December 2016

Maybe you could use infranview to batch resize all images to 50% and then use mcasuals script to replace all  https://sites.google.com/site/mcasualsdazscripts3/mcjalttex

But yes a script that reduces and replaces in one go would be great!

Post edited by DigiDotz on
  • KaribouKaribou Posts: 1,325
    DigiDotz said:

Maybe you could use infranview to batch resize all images to 50% and then use mcasuals script to replace all  https://sites.google.com/site/mcasualsdazscripts3/mcjalttex

But yes a script that reduces and replaces in one go would be great!

This is a much better approach than what I've been doing -- didn't know about mcausals script.  Thanks!

• hphoenixhphoenix Posts: 1,335

For those interested, there are both mine and Esemwy's scripts (his is out, mine are still trying to work out the PNG alpha channel issue.)

You can see the info here:  http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/137161/reduce-texture-sizes-easily-with-this-script