Atrophy floating fence posts

spyderbytesspyderbytes Posts: 23
edited December 1969 in The Commons

See how the fence posts are floating over the surface they should be resting on? Any chance of getting a fix for this?

error.jpg
764 x 245 - 206K

Comments

• williamboswellwilliamboswell Posts: 130
    edited January 2013

I don't know if you rendered in DS or Poser, but here's one in Poser and it's doing the same thing.

I don't have shadows on so it looks different.

Atrophy.jpg
    800 x 346 - 319K
    Post edited by williamboswell on
  • mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    edited December 1969

Are the parts separate?

Are they parented together?

• spyderbytesspyderbytes Posts: 23
    edited December 1969

Down and dirty render in Blender/Cycles. No, the parts aren't separate, through they have separate materials. Worse comes to worst, I'll make the fence invisible on one copy, and the rest of the building invisible on another and tweak it that way. I'd sure rather have an official fix where that wasn't necessary, though. :) Scene I'm working on has quite enough verts already, thank you...

• williamboswellwilliamboswell Posts: 130
    edited December 1969

In Poser, each fence can be moved downward to close up that gap. It can't be done with dials because it's part of the same figure. I don't know about DAZ Studio.

edited January 2013

In DS, I can individually select the left fence and the right fence in the scene. However, I'm not figuring out any way to translate them without translating the whole building along with them. I may be missing the obvious, though. Been known to happen. :D

I don't have Poser. Haven't in several years now, actually.

Edit: I figured out how to do it. You're right, there are no dials, but I selected the fences and used the translate tool. Had to move it what should have been a long ways before it began moving at all; but once it started moving, I was able to get it pretty well right where I wanted it. It'd still be nice to have it work right out of the box, though...

Post edited by spyderbytes on
  • Miss BMiss B Posts: 3,071
    edited January 2013

Actually you can reposition the two fences without touching the rest of the building.

In your scene tab, expand atrophy (i used the preload in a scene recently), and click on each fence bone separately. Then in the upper right corner of the Parameters tab (if you're using DS 3 Advanced), click on the double downward arrow and select "Show Hidden Properties". When you see the Translation list, you need to "unhide" the "ytran". In DS 3Advanced you just double click the name of the property and a dialog box will open and you click the button that says Yes under Hidden and it will change to No.

In DS 4 (and I assume DS 4.5) you click on the little right facing arrow in the upper right corner of the Parameters tab and select Show Hidden Properties, and then click on the"cog" on the right of the "ytran" property and select Hidden > Unhide.

I moved both fences down about -1.50 and they hit the ground.

Hope that helps.

Post edited by Miss B on
    edited December 1969

Thanks, Miss B! The "show hidden" bit was what I was missing. As long as I have a "ytran" slider, I know what I'm doing. ;)

• Daz Jack TomalinDaz Jack Tomalin Posts: 13,297
    edited December 1969

Thanks for the heads up - I'll take a look and get it sorted :)

Cheers!

edited December 1969

Thanks, Jack! I appreciate it.

edited January 2013

Thanks, Miss B! The "show hidden" bit was what I was missing. As long as I have a "ytran" slider, I know what I'm doing. ;)

You're quite welcome. :-) I never noticed it because I was doing a render from a bit of distance, and my camera was higher and looking down, so I never noticed that slight space before.
    Post edited by Miss B on
    edited December 1969

Yea, sorry - I should have mentioned the poltergeists.. ;)

edited December 1969

Hey all,

Just to let you know I had the Ghostbusters in and they've re-homed the poltergeist.

So as soon as the fix gets the nod from QA it should be good to reset your downloads.

Cheers :)

edited December 1969

Thanks again, Jack!

Just to show where I'm headed with this, I've attached the latest WIP from the scene. It's a beautiful set! Rendered in Blender/Cycles.

test4.jpg
    1600 x 900 - 778K
    edited December 1969

That's a great render. I especially like the POV. Very nicely done!!

I use Blender for modelling, but have yet to do any "rendering" in it other than to check my progress while modelling.

edited December 1969

Hey all,

Just to let you know I had the Ghostbusters in and they've re-homed the poltergeist.

So as soon as the fix gets the nod from QA it should be good to reset your downloads.

Cheers :)

Thanks Jack, I'll keep that in mind. ;-)
    edited December 1969

Thank you for the kind words, Miss B! I'm not much of a modeler. I typically only model anything if I can't find it already modeled or talk someone else into modeling it for me. ;) But I decided it was high time I learned Blender. After all, the price is right!

Except for a lack of SSS support (which I hear is supposed to be coming soon), I LOVE the results from the new Blender render engine (Cycles). It's slow (that render took about 60 hours on a circa-2010 iMac), but nice.

edited December 1969

It's slow (that render took about 60 hours on a circa-2010 iMac), but nice.

If that took 60 hrs, then you must not have GPU acceleration or a very low level of it...and all I've got is a lowly GT430 GeForce card, and nothing has taken me that long to render in Cycles...heck, it doesn't even take that long in Lux.

Great render, though...

Jack does give us some great stuff to use, doesn't he?

edited December 1969

My iMac has a Radeon 2600 (Mobility). RAM is my bottleneck (3 gig only), and that's a vert-heavy scene. Not to mention that most of that time (except when I was sleeping) the rendering was going on in the background while I was doing other things. So yeah, I'm probably not the best source to judge render times by. ;) For all I know, I've got some settings wrong that would speed things up as well. I'm just learning what I'm doing in Blender.

edited December 1969

My iMac has a Radeon 2600 (Mobility). RAM is my bottleneck (3 gig only), and that's a vert-heavy scene. Not to mention that most of that time (except when I was sleeping) the rendering was going on in the background while I was doing other things. So yeah, I'm probably not the best source to judge render times by. ;) For all I know, I've got some settings wrong that would speed things up as well. I'm just learning what I'm doing in Blender.

The Radeon 2600 mobility barely makes the grade, so there's one major slow down. And the RAM is another...and since it's a Mac, upgrading is out of the question (either not doable at all or would cost way too much to be worth it). I'd be half tempted to pick up a cheap desktop and a low/mid range Nvidia card (the GT430 is about the lowest I'd go...and you can a 1 GB version of that for about $30), stick a version of Linux on it (can get some nice Mac 'feel' desktop configs) and just use it for Blender/Cycles rendering...

edited December 1969

I took another look at my Cycles render settings. I noticed several things that said they made it start rendering slower but render faster, so changed those. I also discovered I had somehow ticked off the "CPU only" box (not sure when or why I would have done that... or is that the default?). Bottom line, after changing settings, it went from just under 57 hours to render to a bit over 14 hours. Bit of improvement, I'd say. ;)

Thanks for the help, mjc. I would likely have carried on in blissful ignorance with inordinately long render times for who knows how long!

I'm saving up my pennies (when I don't spend them here) to build a Hackintosh (Mac OS running on PC hardware). I'd never be able to afford a Mac Pro on my budget, but I hate that I can't upgrade the "glorified laptop" iMacs.

edited December 1969

Glad it helped...now I'm just waiting to get my FX8320...AMD 8 core...CPU.

edited December 1969

Thanks again, Jack!

Just to show where I'm headed with this, I've attached the latest WIP from the scene. It's a beautiful set! Rendered in Blender/Cycles.

Looks excellent, I love it :)