"Importing an animation" problem

2»

Comments

• pdr0pdr0 Posts: 204

Cheers

And you probably already know this, but if you need to position characters in a scene with that configuration, just put them into a null and use the null to offset position them

• pdr0 said:

Cheers

And you probably already know this, but if you need to position characters in a scene with that configuration, just put them into a null and use the null to offset position them

Thanks for that tip as well!
    I would eventually have ran into that issue, no doubt.

Have you been using blendshapes in MoBu btw?
    I've started animating DS characters with morphs in MoBu recently (mostly for facial animations) and came across an issue where I can transfer a complete animation from one character to another - except for the blendshape animations.
    Even adding the blendshapes to a character extension didn't work.
    Have you played with this at all?

DrGonzo62 said:

Have you been using blendshapes in MoBu btw?
    I've started animating DS characters with morphs in MoBu recently (mostly for facial animations) and came across an issue where I can transfer a complete animation from one character to another - except for the blendshape animations.
    Even adding the blendshapes to a character extension didn't work.
    Have you played with this at all?

Did you mean it works ok in mobu, but problems on the transfer back to DS ? Which ones were you having a problem with ?

Some of them work, or partially work, but some do not. Simple ones that are single morphs usually work.

Same idea here - in DS, look "underneath the hood" and look at which controllers are being used, and/or what bones are being accessed when using those facial animations

If you are using blend shape targets for phoenomes and expressions - they will work for some - but sometimes the values don't transfer back and forth perfectly (you might need to do some tweaking on the values back in DS). e.g a "smile" might be too pronounced when transfer, or too weak when transferring back. Part of the reason for some of the "failures" is the DS exported  FBX mesh is "base" resolution, and part of the reason is some of the complex targets combine multiple controllers.

Basically anything based on skeletal "bones" animation should work perfectly for the roundtrip, that includes the bone based facial rig. But anything based on "morphs" or blend shape targets might only partially work. But in DS some of the "expressions" use a combination of morph targets and bones.

• pdr0 said:
    Did you mean it works ok in mobu, but problems on the transfer back to DS ? Which ones were you having a problem with ?

I haven't been able to copy blendshape animations in MoBu (2015) from one to another character. Have you managed to get that working?
    Getting those back into DS is still on my list, so thanks for the heads-up.

DrGonzo62 said:

I haven't been able to copy blendshape animations in MoBu (2015) from one to another character. Have you managed to get that working?
    Getting those back into DS is still on my list, so thanks for the heads-up.

Sorry, not quite understanding what you're trying to do ?

Did you mean within mobu transfer existing blendshape animation from one character (A) to another character (B) ?

Yes you can copy/paste animtion curves, if the source and target channels are the same between the character

e.g you can copy the animation curve of "Happy" from character "A" to "Happy" in charcter "B" . You might get different results if the weighting is different. But if they are the same generation model (e.g. G8F to different G8F character), it will work

• pdr0 said:

Did you mean within mobu transfer existing blendshape animation from one character (A) to another character (B) ?

Yes you can copy/paste animtion curves, if the source and target channels are the same between the character

e.g you can copy the animation curve of "Happy" from character "A" to "Happy" in charcter "B" . You might get different results if the weighting is different. But if they are the same generation model (e.g. G8F to different G8F character), it will work

Yes, that is what I am trying to do. Copying eyes blinking for example from character A to B, so that I don't have to do this over and over again.
    The problem I ran into is how to copy keys from one to another character. In the F Curves window I copy the keys from character A, but when I switch to character B, the paste function is grayed out in the F Curves window.
    Not sure what I'm doing wrong. Should be pretty simple and straight forward.

DrGonzo62 said:

Yes, that is what I am trying to do. Copying eyes blinking for example from character A to B, so that I don't have to do this over and over again.
    The problem I ran into is how to copy keys from one to another character. In the F Curves window I copy the keys from character A, but when I switch to character B, the paste function is grayed out in the F Curves window.
    Not sure what I'm doing wrong. Should be pretty simple and straight forward.

In the navigator tab, select the source shape . Move to the fcurves window, select the shape parameter(s) you want copied (e.g. if you want several shape parameters , you can shift or control click to select more than one at once), and make a selection of the curve(s) that you want by marquee selecting the actual areas on the curves that you want  ( e.g. draw a big box around the wanted curves  ), right click, edit, copy . Now in the navigator tab, select the target source shape.  Move to the fcurves window, and make sure you're on the frame that you want with the playhead, select the target shape channels, and in the fcurve window, right click , edit, paste.

• Thanks pdr0, I'll give that a try tonight.

I really appreciate all your help btw.
    I had posted this question in the AutodDesk MoBu forum, but that forum seems pretty dead.

• DrGonzo62DrGonzo62 Posts: 221
    edited September 2017
    pdr0 said:

In the navigator tab, select the source shape . Move to the fcurves window, select the shape parameter(s) you want copied (e.g. if you want several shape parameters , you can shift or control click to select more than one at once), and make a selection of the curve(s) that you want by marquee selecting the actual areas on the curves that you want  ( e.g. draw a big box around the wanted curves  ), right click, edit, copy . Now in the navigator tab, select the target source shape.  Move to the fcurves window, and make sure you're on the frame that you want with the playhead, select the target shape channels, and in the fcurve window, right click , edit, paste.

Hi pdr0,
    I tried your method and I'm still not getting the option to paste the source keys (right image) into the target characters BS channel. "Paste" is just grayed out (left image)
    I wonder if that is because I'm using MB 2015 ?

MB Blendshapes.jpg
    1919 x 1031 - 465K
    MB Blendshapes Source.jpg
    1915 x 1031 - 499K
    Post edited by DrGonzo62 on
    edited September 2017
    DrGonzo62 said:
    pdr0 said:

Hi pdr0,
    I tried your method and I'm still not getting the option to paste the source keys (right image) into the target characters BS channel. "Paste" is just grayed out (left image)
    I wonder if that is because I'm using MB 2015 ?

Double post - please delete. Thx

In your 2nd screenshot, the one with the actual curve , you don't have anything actually selected . You have the category eCTRLEyesClosed selected, but no keys are selected.

You need to draw a box around the keys that you want (left click, drag a box) to make a selection . There should be a bounding box activated

Wow do you really "need" all those morphs ? How many do you have there exported from DS ?  cheeky

But seriously, you can select specifically which ones you want exported from DS . This makes the FBX more managable and "quicker" to load in various programs .It gets weighted down by a bunch of morphs that you don't use.

edited September 2017
    pdr0 said:

In your 2nd screenshot, the one with the actual curve , you don't have anything actually selected . You have the category eCTRLEyesClosed selected, but no keys are selected.

You need to draw a box around the keys that you want (left click, drag a box) to make a selection . There should be a bounding box activated

Well, I had the keys selected when I copied them to the clipboard. It's just not in the screenshot.

You are able to copy keys from character A and paste them to charcater B - same channel? I can't get that to work even if it is just a copy of the same character.
    I have no problems copying keys from and to the same character btw. Just not from one to the other.
    Which version of MB are you using? Maybe it's a bug in 2015.

I don't need that many morphs on a character, I know. But it's tedious to select only certain morphs. I just use a spreadsheet for that. And when you export a character from DS and you didn't include a morph that you want to use later on, you have to re-export the character from DS and start all over rigging it in MB.
    I like to be able to adjust a characters hair movement, the clothing, expressions and such. Starting all over because a particular morph wasn't included in the first place is not something I like to repeat too often.

Yes it works, I was using MB2016 . I doubt any version of MB would have problems manipulating f-curves, keyframes, copy/pasting  . That's sort of it's "job"

Are you in the same take for both characters ? Did you use a different namespace for one of them (mobu can get confused if there are same labels)

Were you able to "copy" from the source ? ie. It wasn't greyed out ? Did it seem like that part worked ?

Try placing a key on frame zero with a value of "zero" on the target channel first. Then paste. You might have to "activate" the target channel first.

Or try ctrl+b for paste special - it should give you extra options for which curves you want to paste

Yes that's it. In your screenshot, the little "A" button isn't activated in the target. When a key is present  the track is automatically activated

• pdr0 said:

Yes that's it. In your screenshot, the little "A" button isn't activated in the target. When a key is present  the track is automatically activated

Yes - you did it again!
    You have to first click on the little "A" in the targets channel to enable the pasting of keys. Wow.
    Usually clicking on the A let's you delete animation keys from that channel - here it is the other way around. Unreal.

Thanks so much for your help with this pdr0!!