Some words of wisdom

13»

Comments

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565
    McGyver said:
    Unless you are being paid to create something, the real question is who are you really trying to please? 

The critics?  They are morons, and nothing pleases them but the sound of their own voices....

Your friends?  They are all crazy, or they wouldn't be your friends... They love you no matter what.

Neither target is a good gauge of achievement, so ultimately it's you.

Unfortunately, you (not you personally, as you have excellent taste for a crazy person, but the hypothetical artist) are probably a terribly bad choice as well, as most people seem to be either more critical about their own work than anyone else, or else convinced that everything they do is brilliant.

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 98,037
    edited July 2015
    McGyver said:
    Unless you are being paid to create something, the real question is who are you really trying to please? 

The critics?  They are morons, and nothing pleases them but the sound of their own voices....

Your friends?  They are all crazy, or they wouldn't be your friends... They love you no matter what.

Unfortunately, you (not you personally, as you have excellent taste for a crazy person, but the hypothetical artist) are probably a terribly bad choice as well, as most people seem to be either more critical about their own work than anyone else, or else convinced that everything they do is brilliant.

Or for some of us, both.

Post edited by Richard Haseltine on
  • McGrandpaMcGrandpa Posts: 464

LOL!   :D   I am never satisfied with my own work, be it in clay, pencil or 2D/3D on a computer.  One thing I did learn to do while in my 30's was to do something, then put it away for a while, come back to it with a fresh mindset and see what I think of the piece then.  If it seems to look like someone else must have done it, then I got something to work with.  :) 

Well, time to get ready to go see my hematologist.  Later guys!  :)

McG.

• Cris PalominoCris Palomino Posts: 11,151

These remain two of the best things I ever heard:

Alan Watts: Do what you love and you will become a master of it

and

Neil Gaiman:  Make good art

I share them with everyone I can.  I hope you enjoy them.

• McGyverMcGyver Posts: 7,039
    McGyver said:

... most people seem to be either more critical about their own work than anyone else, or else convinced that everything they do is brilliant.

True... Many of the artists I've know were one those polar opposites, no happy middle ground.  But that was friends, coworkers or acquaintances... The real mindblower was when I worked as an art handler in NYC in the mid to late 80s... Many of our clients were well known or famous pop artists... Except for a couple here and there, that was a daily study in ego and delusions of grandeur.

• MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675
    edited August 2015

the id, the ego, the super ego

Logical, Spirited, Appetitive

made more sense under the sparkly lights.

Post edited by Mistara on
  • Stryder87Stryder87 Posts: 899
    edited August 2015

It's true one never stops learning and that is true when applied to everything and everyone. Most of what I have learned has been through sites like Daz and forums sites like PFDLives, If not for the support of such sites, I probably would have given up. I have learned you don't need a lot of money to do what you love...

I totally agree.  Just last night I figured out how to do motion blur thanks to this post:  http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/6052/motion-blur-setting-how-do-you-use-it#latest

If it wasn't for this forum, I'd be so lost on so much I see in my head, but don't know how to get Daz to do it!  You guys are great!

Here's the result of my motion blur experiment:  http://www.daz3d.com/gallery/#images/80976

(I tried uploading the image but it wouldn't work... not sure why)

Post edited by Stryder87 on
  • EtriganEtrigan Posts: 603
    edited August 2015

I just found this thread. Thanks to all who contributed. Just this morning I was also taught not to judge my work based on its popularity in the galleries. I spent 70 - 90 hours on one render... crickets. Then, I threw up an unlit, badly posed, unchecked reference image for a thread, it got two likes overnight. 

No one achieves perfection alone, or quickly (unless savant, and that has its own baggage). An experienced mentor, or two, can though, speed your journey. These sage advisors (resident on these very forae) can give specific areas and methods to improve individual skills and or modes. If the comment is "that isn't accurate" dump it. However if it's "cool down the exposure just a tad and I think you'll like the results". That's worth listening to.

Keep calm, and render on!

Stryder87, thanks for reminding me of that tutorial. I meant to check it out and it slipped my geriatric mind. 

Post edited by Etrigan on
  • EveniosEvenios Posts: 119

Good words. I think the thing that scares most people is the fact that CG can become quite complex and it can be daunting to get started. to be honest i fiddled around off and on for a good while with the idea. But i think with the new 4.8 update DAZ3D really is the best tool to get started. 

what i found is you can just keep it simple at first, another tip that can help is if you have some photography experence too. (rl) you may want to check out videos/guides about general photography too while its not quite the same.......the main thing is learning about lighting/framing the shot etc.  for me i appreach DAZ3d not so much as just pretty fancy 3d artwork but as a way to work more with "photography" when i have limited rl connections as far as locations/models etc. :-)

the big thing to do is just have fun. find a few scenes put something together, there is really no set rules.  Just dont get discouraged. you start simple and the main thing is to have fun!

For me, one really important part is to have fun, enjoy what I am doing.  If there is no enjoyment to it, why bother?  Accomplishment satisfaction is enjoying it.  :)

• daveleitzdaveleitz Posts: 459

Great reminder!  The first decade or so that I attempted painting, my artwork sucked.  :)

Now I have artwork that hangs on my walls that I'm proud of.  I get compliments from people who see it and have sold some pieces.  No one ever sees the failures, though, so that decade of dismal effort goes unnoticed.

Perhaps you could dedicate a room (or wall) to simply "Beginnings".   I hate that word "Failures".  You did NOT fail, you CONTINUED, persevered, progressed and succeeded!   All the work is still the same, just how you choose to SEE it makes all the difference.   And it can alter your future.  :)

• RAMWolffRAMWolff Posts: 10,155

If you're working online, why does it matter if you're unattractive? No one ever has to know that unless you voluntarily post pictures of your real face. Besides, we can't all be hotties like Grandma Moses, Andrew Wyeth and Toulouse Lautrec.

Most people "suck" at art when they start out. It just takes a loooot of work to stop for most of us. Too many people give up on art and assume they're just untalented because they're not instantly good at techniques that take time to master. True, some people ARE instantly good at it, and some people are very naturally talented - but one doesn't have to be the next Michaelangelo to be competent and make a living at art. In fact, there were a number of artists in Leonardo's day who are completely forgotten now, but who did well enough to make a living during their own lifetimes. That I won't be remembered in 500 years isn't a reason to quit and go do a job I hate instead.

BRAVO, well stated hon!  heart

• D.RobinsonD.Robinson Posts: 283
    edited August 2015

I think what we get wrapped up too is ego, we see others works and it makes us feel inferior in some way. But all art is subjective not just CG stuff. Myself i got into this because it looked like fun. My first passion though is music. I heard a musician say years ago that unless we embrace what we don't like about our own playing we can never express ourselves as ourselves. Sure we should strive to improve in our chosen art, but if we embrace those things we don't like and make it our own we find our own voice and it stands out from others. There are many artists down thru the centuries who have endured that. You think about Picasso for instance, frankly i still dont get it but i recognize that there are millions of people that find his work is sought after for some reason and it is because he strayed from the norm and was just who he was. Creative people dont have to be clones we just need to be creative it drives us to express ourselves.

Daniel

Post edited by D.Robinson on
  • CherubitCherubit Posts: 990
    edited September 2015

It's an awesome quote, I had to fave it... I wish one day I will also be good using Daz...

Post edited by Cherubit on
  • "keep it simple"

I so agree with this.  That's why I've started making portraits with black or white background, to help me focus on the character, the look, the smile (or not), the eyes.  To help me avoid overly complex concepts, which often fatigue the muse before it even fully wakes up.

I'm no expert and certainly not somebody who's art you should emulate, but all of my images have a title and something of a backstory.  Something I took from a songwriter who once said you should give each song a title, even if it's just a working title and will get changed.  So I do that too.  "Song 45A" or "Guitar Test 4" have far far less meaning than something even simple.  "Crockett's Theme", "Leia's Theme", "Eye of the Tiger", "We Belong", "Working for the Weekend", "Cover Me", "Blinded by the Light", "Comfortably Numb", "Chariots of Fire", these all evoke a visualization and some even lead you halfway down the path even before the song begins. 

I do this for my images too.  The best song titles often have fewer than 5 words or 5 syllables, but even within that, there are unlimited possibilities (and rules are often broken anyway).  You'll find no "Image B87114900QK91.jpg" from me!  Sometimes I'll date and version stamp my render images and my saved scene files because that helps me know which goes with which in any given file folder.  But there's always a title.  We're a long way away from the old "8.3" DOS file naming requirements, so we should take advantage of our technology.

This goes for movies too.  Titles like "Red Dawn", "Red October", "Steel Magnolias", "Star Wars", "Sleepless in Seattle", "Jaws", "Enemy Mine", "Top Gun", "Transformers", "Stealth", and even the original 80s "Tron" all paint some sort of starting image, which creates a mind's eye image and can generate a spark of interest.  A good title and a compelling poster image is all you need to show and you'll get some percentage of people who'll see a movie based solely on that!  Why pass up such a great opportunity by using a code?

So I title all of my images and works, even the ones that don't go to the gallery or online.  Even if it really is "Guitar Test 4" or "Girl with a Sword", the moment it has a 2-bar melody or harmony or something to give the Girl character, I'll give it a real title.

Umm... TL;DR.  What was the topic again?cheeky

• true

• Here is something else to consider.

"Beauty is in the eye of the beholder". Be proud of all the artworks you create.

There may be some people that may not like them, but what counts is that YOU enjoy them and you enjoy creating them. 

All of us on this planet have a particular taste in art, and the way we view what is called "beauty",

so no single artwork will please everyone who sees it. An example would be... Some people may like the MONA LISA painting , and there will be

other people who may not like it so much, but I bet that Leonardo DaVinci enjoyed creating it, no matter what everyone said when he did it. **

As for me personally, I enjoy any artwork I create, but I take notice more at the negative criticism and comments. Its great (for me) to hear or read negative things

about my artworks. It makes me want to make better improvements on my art. Bad comments make me want to create more and strive

to make them better,  if the previous version did not come out as I first invisioned how it would come out, it will be better the next time around.

So take all criticism (good and bad) as a good thing and learn from your mistakes. wink

As for the Mona Lisa painting....  if you think that EVERYONE liked the "Mona Lisa" artwork, it´s not so true.

One of its previous owner of this famous artwork had it hanged up in his bathroom for many years....Perhaps he enjoyed looking at it when he went to the bathroom (?)

LOL - I don´t know , perhaps he did.

Like I said before.... "Beauty is in the eye of the beholder"

So enjoy what you create and enjoy your art, no matter what it is!