LINUX PLEASE !!

paul_ae567ab9paul_ae567ab9 Posts: 231
edited June 2017 in Product Suggestions

I cannot afford to build more machines for DAZ because of the cost of crappy Windows.  I refuse to use Win 10 as it already broke one machine. Apple is twice as expensive as Windows.  LINUX is more powerful, lacks hardware restrictions built into windows, is faster, more secure and free.

Don't you think your users deserve a better option?

PLEASE GIVE US A LINUX RELEASE or provide source code to an open source group to build a release. 

The more Daz users the more content you can sell !

Post edited by paul_ae567ab9 on

Comments

• nicsttnicstt Posts: 11,715

+1

• Blind OwlBlind Owl Posts: 501
    edited June 2017

+2

I'm not a Linux user yet but I expect to become one (either that or a Mac user, if I can afford it) shortly after Microsoft drops support for Windows 7. Earlier this year I bought two Windows 10 laptops and nearly went crazy with all the unwanted, useless, unnecessary CRAP that comes with it. I'm done with Microsoft.

Post edited by Blind Owl on
  • FSMCDesignsFSMCDesigns Posts: 12,721

Hey, as long as it doesn't affect me and my windows 10 machine I am all for it! The more DS users, the merrier!

• Blind Owl said:

+2

I'm not a Linux user yet but I expect to become one (either that or a Mac user, if I can afford it) shortly after Microsoft drops support for Windows 7. Earlier this year I bought two Windows 10 laptops and nearly went crazy with all the unwanted, useless, unnecessary CRAP that comes with it. I'm done with Microsoft.

For a couple things I need on one CPU I will keep Win 7 even after support ends.

• Hey, as long as it doesn't affect me and my windows 10 machine I am all for it! The more DS users, the merrier!

Have you been half way through a long render when Win 10 decided their update was more important so they killed your render?  I upgraded one and it then forced the Milenium update and killed graphics on motherboard rendering it useless.  Filed a complaint with MS and the state attorney generals office because they actually destroyed a computer with forced updates I did not want.  Will NEVER use 10, will learn another 3D program because ALL of them except DAZ run a linux version.

• MattymanxMattymanx Posts: 6,898

There is a thread around here about using Daz Studio in Linux.

• Mattymanx said:

There is a thread around here about using Daz Studio in Linux.

Read it which is what convinces me we really need a Linux version of DS.  Has been little success with 64 bit DS which basically kills iRay.

Whole point of the suggestion is to awake desire for an actual LINUX made version, not a weak alternative.

Thanks for thinking of me however.

• LeanaLeana Posts: 11,387

People have asked for a linux version since the first betas (and maybe even alphas). It never happened, so I wouldn't hold your breath....

• nicsttnicstt Posts: 11,715

I suggested setting up a Kickstarter campaign, nothing happened there either.

• 7thOmen7thOmen Posts: 47

As a long time Linux user (Caldera OpenLinux 1.0, anyone?), I have seen this request go unanswered more times than I can count. It just costs too much money these days to develop, maintain, and support multiple platforms. The Devs might be able to, and possibly aready have, but the 'bean counters' usually get the final say. But, I digress...

If you are a Linux user, and more specifically, the K Desktop environment, then you already have OpenGL and Qt at your fingertips. Correct me if I'm wrong, but so does Apple's OS X. OS X runs on a BSD varient (NetBSD, I believe), so how far away is a port to Linux, really?

A long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away, I used to play Bethesda's Oblivion. I learned about all the 'cool' utilities in Linux that allowed me to play my beloved game in Linux. I set out to accomplish this goal with reasonable success, except...

Case sensitivity.

Windows, and I suppose OS X as well, are ignorant of this. Linux on the other hand, well, let's just say that ANY mod I put into my Oblivion on Linux had to be carefully filtered to prevent errors due to case sensitivity. It really turned out to be more work than it was worth. Look at your content libraries, do you really want to have to go through all that work? I don't, that's for sure. Sometimes stupid Windows has it's uses.

Don't misunderstand here, I AM an advocate for a Linux port - I type this post one of my Linux workstations. But, sometimes you just have to accept the cliche, 'It is what it is'.

What I might suggest to you is what I have already done over a decade ago.

Linux doesn't have the hardware requirements that Windows has. With that being said, find a nice i5 machine from the Haswell era (old Dell's are everywhere), give it a budget GTX 600 series (or newer), and install the Linux flavor of the month. You'll have more than enough processing power to learn your way around Linux, play videos, rip music, etc., etc. Once that is in place, it will provide years of service with nary an upgrade required. Budget permitting, give a performance boost - more ram and an SSD, for example. Relegate your current Windows monstrosity to just gaming and/or DAZ. So what if M$ sees you render all the time or playing your favorite PC game. That's all they will ever see if that's all you do. If even that's too much, unplug it from the internet. You can source your drivers and updates from Linux and transfer them over in your favorite manner. Bottom line - use Linux for all your day to day tasks. You know, surfing, shopping, email, arguing on forums, etc. It works fine.

If you have any questions about what I mentioned here, feel free to ask, but I suggest we take those conversations to PM's or maybe another thread.

BTW, it was back in the days of Oblivion on Linux that I first encountered our dear community friend, @SickleYield. She has ALWAYS been a lovely person willing to help anyone. I can't begin to thank her enough for all the assistance she has silently provided me over the years and for leading me to this wonderful hobby of 3D rendering.

TL:DR - maybe you should...

Omen

• If you could get Connect working in a Linux install of DS that should eliminate the casing issues - at least for its content files - as everything is lower case.

I believe OS X can be case-sensitive, but isn't by default (at least with some drive formats).

If you could get Connect working in a Linux install of DS that should eliminate the casing issues - at least for its content files - as everything is lower case.

I believe OS X can be case-sensitive, but isn't by default (at least with some drive formats).

That's a big problem right there. This is not likely to happen, as I suspect Connect is used primarily for copy protection (or did I miss the end of encryption?). It is basically the Linux/ Blu-Ray mess all over again. No thanks.

Linux natively supports postgresql, so DAZ would have to provide the database connection requirements and topology. Are they a willing party to that idea? Who would support the fledgling Linux users that have never set up a database? Does Nvidia have quality 'drivers' for Iray support natively for the Linux desktop, or is it just an after-thought because too few actually use Iray in Linux?

Too many major hurdles to overcome to expect DAZ to give Linux a nod. It's plausible, but improbable. Far too small of a Linux userbase to upset the balance of the developers time. "If you build it, they will come" is certianly not a cost effective mentality.

I do hope that DAZ proves me wrong in saying that we will never see Studio in Linux. One can dream, can't they?

Omen

• Connect is needed to use encrypted content, but it is not itself DRM - if you are sticking to non-encrypted content in DIM then the fiels will be non-encrypted in Connect (once downloaded - theya re delivered in encrypted form and validated against your account on download).

• SickleYieldSickleYield Posts: 7,631
    edited July 2017
    7thOmen said:
    BTW, it was back in the days of Oblivion on Linux that I first encountered our dear community friend, @SickleYield. She has ALWAYS been a lovely person willing to help anyone. I can't begin to thank her enough for all the assistance she has silently provided me over the years and for leading me to this wonderful hobby of 3D rendering.

Omen

Hi there! :)

I wish we could render in Iray on Linux, I really do.  I'm still on Windows 7 for both my machines because my parents upgraded to Win 10, I have to troubleshoot it for them, and I loathe it with a deep, abiding passion.  I would love to be able to go to Mint or Red Hat for at least my internet access laptop.  An OS that hates being offline is an OS that I do not want on my main content production machine (which I only connect for activating programs; once activated Blender, GIMP, Zbrush, Marvelous designer, Substance Painter and 3d Coat all work fine offline).

Post edited by SickleYield on
  • 7thOmen said:

Omen

I wish we could render in Iray on Linux, I really do.  I'm still on Windows 7 for both my machines because my parents upgraded to Win 10, I have to troubleshoot it for them, and I loathe it with a deep, abiding passion.  I would love to be able to go to Mint or Red Hat for at least my internet access laptop.  An OS that hates being offline is an OS that I do not want on my main content production machine (which I only connect for activating programs; once activated Blender, GIMP, Zbrush, Marvelous designer, Substance Painter and 3d Coat all work fine offline).

Iray server is available for Linux, and works with DS http://www.nvidia.com/object/iray-server.html

7thOmen said:

Omen

Iray server is available for Linux, and works with DS http://www.nvidia.com/object/iray-server.html

I was so excited until I realized they have no DS plugin and it's $300 a year. :(
  • 7thOmen said:

Omen

I was so excited until I realized they have no DS plugin and it's $300 a year. :(

No plugin needed, as it's part of the "cloud rendering" capabilities that current versions of DAZ Studio have.

Really? That's great! Does it still require a Quadro/Tesla card?
  • GreymomGreymom Posts: 1,109
    7thOmen said:

Omen

No plugin needed, as it's part of the "cloud rendering" capabilities that current versions of DAZ Studio have.

I am still confused by the "Cloud Rendering" features - do we still need to purchase separate $300/yr licenses for more copies of IRAY to do this at home (i.e. run renders on multiple computers)?  I am reluctant to use IRAY as I can run LuxRender on multiple machines for free.

• Greymom said:
    7thOmen said:

Omen

I am still confused by the "Cloud Rendering" features - do we still need to purchase separate $300/yr licenses for more copies of IRAY to do this at home (i.e. run renders on multiple computers)?  I am reluctant to use IRAY as I can run LuxRender on multiple machines for free.

If you are using your own hardware then yes, each machine needs a licesne for iray Cloud. of course you can use it to access a render farm in which case you'd pay only for the time/resources used and no extra licenses would be required by you.

• GreymomGreymom Posts: 1,109
    Greymom said:
    7thOmen said:

Omen

If you are using your own hardware then yes, each machine needs a licesne for iray Cloud. of course you can use it to access a render farm in which case you'd pay only for the time/resources used and no extra licenses would be required by you.

Richard:  Many thanks for the clarification!

Each instance of Iray server requires the license. One you have it set up, DAZ can connect to it and use it for rendering purposes.

@SickleYield, you can set up the server with GTX 1080 type cards. I suppose you can go with 1070s or lesser, but the CUDA count doesn't seem worth the cost savings, to me. Titans, Quadros, and Tesla would make the job faster. The more, the better. The biggest issue is finding a motherboard that can *honestly* support more than 4 GPUs. Supermicro has a few that can manage 3-4, but beyond gets a bit more difficult. I work with a server supplier that has quad gpu servers for just this sort of task, but be warned, they are expensive. In the area of $15,000.00 expensive for something that meets my definition of decent.

cridgit has a nice how-to/example https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/132951/tutorial-iray-server-render-farm-batch-rendering-for-daz-studio#latest , but I wouldn't recommend Windows as the render server OS.

Omen

• 7thOmen said:

As a long time Linux user (Caldera OpenLinux 1.0, anyone?), I have seen this request go unanswered more times than I can count. It just costs too much money these days to develop, maintain, and support multiple platforms. The Devs might be able to, and possibly aready have, but the 'bean counters' usually get the final say. But, I digress...

If you are a Linux user, and more specifically, the K Desktop environment, then you already have OpenGL and Qt at your fingertips. Correct me if I'm wrong, but so does Apple's OS X. OS X runs on a BSD varient (NetBSD, I believe), so how far away is a port to Linux, really?

A long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away, I used to play Bethesda's Oblivion. I learned about all the 'cool' utilities in Linux that allowed me to play my beloved game in Linux. I set out to accomplish this goal with reasonable success, except...

Case sensitivity.

Windows, and I suppose OS X as well, are ignorant of this. Linux on the other hand, well, let's just say that ANY mod I put into my Oblivion on Linux had to be carefully filtered to prevent errors due to case sensitivity. It really turned out to be more work than it was worth. Look at your content libraries, do you really want to have to go through all that work? I don't, that's for sure. Sometimes stupid Windows has it's uses.

Don't misunderstand here, I AM an advocate for a Linux port - I type this post one of my Linux workstations. But, sometimes you just have to accept the cliche, 'It is what it is'.

What I might suggest to you is what I have already done over a decade ago.

Linux doesn't have the hardware requirements that Windows has. With that being said, find a nice i5 machine from the Haswell era (old Dell's are everywhere), give it a budget GTX 600 series (or newer), and install the Linux flavor of the month. You'll have more than enough processing power to learn your way around Linux, play videos, rip music, etc., etc. Once that is in place, it will provide years of service with nary an upgrade required. Budget permitting, give a performance boost - more ram and an SSD, for example. Relegate your current Windows monstrosity to just gaming and/or DAZ. So what if M$ sees you render all the time or playing your favorite PC game. That's all they will ever see if that's all you do. If even that's too much, unplug it from the internet. You can source your drivers and updates from Linux and transfer them over in your favorite manner. Bottom line - use Linux for all your day to day tasks. You know, surfing, shopping, email, arguing on forums, etc. It works fine.

If you have any questions about what I mentioned here, feel free to ask, but I suggest we take those conversations to PM's or maybe another thread.

Omen

The case sensitivity can be solved if you share out the folders using SAMBA. Then mount them as CIFS shares. 

Paul

• ice2642ice2642 Posts: 0

I am waiting the linux version of Daz3d to return use this program. I hope soon Daz3d come to linux becouse humanoid is not so good like Daz3D.

• 7thOmen said:

The case sensitivity can be solved if you share out the folders using SAMBA. Then mount them as CIFS shares. 

Paul

I might try a different approach.  Symlinks got me by for a while for all the variants of case names for directories that people save their props/figures/texures/etc with.  But I might just create a logical volume or a partition and make it vfat and see if that works.  Apparently Windows is sort of case sensitive.  It will let you create a directory as "Textures", but it sees this as the same as "textures" or "TEXTURES".  Linux these are all different.

• GafftheHorseGafftheHorse Posts: 567
    7thOmen said:

Paul

I might try a different approach.  Symlinks got me by for a while for all the variants of case names for directories that people save their props/figures/texures/etc with.  But I might just create a logical volume or a partition and make it vfat and see if that works.  Apparently Windows is sort of case sensitive.  It will let you create a directory as "Textures", but it sees this as the same as "textures" or "TEXTURES".  Linux these are all different.

Windows is case insensitive "Textures" "textures" and "TEXTURES" (or even "TexTures" etc) are all the same to it. In Linux (and most Unix based systems) all those are considered unique.

Daz under wine will not have a problem locating stuff, except if you have duplicate folders (i.e. "textures" and "TEXTURES"). You needn't worry with most files, unless there are duplicate names in different cases in the same directory.

DIM fixes all case issues, I'd advise using that or manually fixing case problems as you install.

Symlinks sounds a clumsy way to go about sorting those issues out - I've been using symlinks for organisation (gathering all figure clothes in one place with mats or fixing badly placed products without breaking the Smart Content links, stuff accidentally stored in 'Prop' instead of 'Props' or 'Environment' instead of 'Environments').

Vfat has 2GB file size and partition size limits, it's not really efficient for large partitions. I don't know if I'd recommend NTFS either, I've had file losses using NTFS regularly with Linux (with NTFS-3G) - albeit that was some time ago and it might be fixd now