Geograft: Does Anyone Recognize These Artifacts?

Comments

• StezzaStezza Posts: 7,988

only link was about shoes so I didn't bother following... but yep.. basically same thing just a different leg action yes

• MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675

thread title could prolly use  "(geografts)" in the title?  enlightened

there really is no way to unlock a conformed item to be able to scale and nudge it ... unless ... fenric magic?

• JonstarkJonstark Posts: 2,738
    Mistara said:

there really is no way to unlock a conformed item to be able to scale and nudge it ... unless ... fenric magic?

Oh I do it all the time, especially when converting clothing to Genesis1 that is for Genesis2/3 or generation 4 to make it fit exactly right (I don't like the idea of having to use pokeaway when you can just push/pull the clothing in the 'model in assembly room' setting with soft select and make it fit more perfectly than the creator even intended for the original figure).  I do have to unclick the 'protect topology' feature when messing with it,but it works like a charm and fits my Genesis1 perfectly after I'm done no matter how extreme my shaping morphs are, from the baby to the troll.  I don't know for sure if this is because of Fenric's add on that allows me to unlock figure or not (I don't have to use the unlock figure function, but maybe if I didn't have that Fenric add on the option to unprotect topology would be greyed out).  Fenric's stuff is invaluable, either way though  :)

• Jumping into this conversation in the middle - but when you 'unlock' a clothing figure, or uncheck the 'protect topology' - does that sometimes disable or ruin morphs that might have come with the figure?  I seem to remember reading that and have been somewhat gun shy about editing clothing (sometimes hiding (or now using poke away morphs) to eliminate poke through.

Jumping into this conversation in the middle - but when you 'unlock' a clothing figure, or uncheck the 'protect topology' - does that sometimes disable or ruin morphs that might have come with the figure?  I seem to remember reading that and have been somewhat gun shy about editing clothing (sometimes hiding (or now using poke away morphs) to eliminate poke through.

Never from what I've seen, all morphs remain intact.  I'm less certain about 'unlock figure' than I am about unclickng 'protect topology' because I do it the uncheck so much more often, but never seen any problems of that nature in using either function.

• @Jonstark - got it; thanks - will experiment with that when i have time.

(as an aside - thanks for the hair tutorials you put together; 3dAge nudged me into using Carrara's native hair system for a project I'm working on - and your tutorials were helpful in reorienting myself to using Hair in Carrara since haven't toyed with that in over a couple of years)

@Jonstark - got it; thanks - will experiment with that when i have time.

(as an aside - thanks for the hair tutorials you put together; 3dAge nudged me into using Carrara's native hair system for a project I'm working on - and your tutorials were helpful in reorienting myself to using Hair in Carrara since haven't toyed with that in over a couple of years)

My pleasure, thanks very much.  Carrara hair is wonderful stuff, and with Philemot's awesome plugin now letting us turn it into standard conforming hair to export for use in other apps used by the less fortunate (like Studio) :)  it may just be that Carrara is now the quickest/simplest way to quickly create conforming hairstyles too.  I wonder if the standard content creators of hair will get wind of this method at some point...  seems to me that growing out hair and then brushing/cutting it into the style you want, then saving as an obj is way faster than modeling a hairstyle from scratch in a standard vertex modeling software...

how's the op minotaur coming along?

• InkuboInkubo Posts: 744

Well, Misty, the geograft solutions seem to work for everything except the minotaur legs. The legs turn into little sticks if they aren't fitted, but if I do fit them, some texture or other will go crazy.

What I'm trying now is to create a character with no geografts at all by welding everything together in Blender. With no grafts, the character should load and render in Carrara, where I can try animating it.

edited August 2017

This geografting thing has been driving me crazy for a little while as it's always bothered me, and I ended up getting a little obsessed. I decided to dive deep into it over the past couple of days, specifically trying to get a fully functional Genesis 1 with ladyparts.  I tried the solutions/workarounds offered above (at least to the best of my understanding) and was getting close but always ended up with at least faint seams, or places where the textures didn't match up quite as precisely as they should.  I have no need for renders of this type, not about to do hardcore sex scenes or anatomical movies to be shown at gynecological conventions, but at this point I was a man on a mission, and I think I have found a full final absolute solution.  This may also work for your minotaur or the daz dragon btw, I don't know for sure but in theory I think it would.

Like I said, I was going into this 'hardcore', didn't just want a regular old daz supplied ladyparts bit, wanted to have one with lots of morphs to prove the point, so went to the 'rotica site and picked up a 'new' V5 ladyparts model with lots of morphs and also a special script for studio that is designed to match textures in the region perfectly (it takes existing texture maps from your character and generates a new texture map that meshes seamlessly with the genital). 

In Studio, I loaded up my Genesis1 in base form, then put on the genitals, it geografted as it should, then I applied textures, made sure everything looked seamless in Studio from all angles and was texture-perfect.

Exported it (selecting the Genesis1 at the top level, not just the genitals but the whole thing, with the ladyparts attached) as a .obj, clicking on the options to remove unused vertices (there are still a bunch of unused vertices when you geograft, looks like it subtracts out the polys that the geografted part is replacing but leaves the vertices for some weird reason).  I don't know if that really matters or not, but it might, and the result worked, so I'm keeping that as part of the routine, even if it's just superstition on my part :)  I also had collapse uv tiles, Write UV Coordinates, Write Surfaces, Write Material library, collect maps, Ignore invisible nodes, Write normals, Write object statements, Write Groups,  and use node names all checked too (I don't know what even half of that means, and most of it was already pre-selected, but again I'll be specific in case it matters).  I saved the .obj somewhere I could find it.

Now this next bit is very important, it's a step you DON'T DO which is DON'T OPEN THIS OBJ IN CARRARA at this point.  I don't know why, but if you do the textures will be off and you'll have seams.  And there's really no reason to open it in Carrara at this point anyway. 

Instead the next step is to import the .obj you just made back into Studio, in the same scene that has your original Gen1 (with the geografted parts on it, set up the way you like as you recall).

Then run edit>object>Transfer Utility, select your Genesis1 as the Scene Item under 'Source' and the .obj you made (whatever you named it) as the Scene Item under 'Target' and click 'Accept'

You've just turned your .obj into 'clothes' (sorta) that has the same rigging as the Genesis1 does.  You can save it as a Support Asset>Figure/Prop Asset if you want and then import that into Carrara and any Genesis1 can 'wear' this as if it were 'clothing'.  Make the Genesis1 in Carrara invisible and only the 'clothing' version of your figure visible (and fit the 'clothing' version to your Genesis1) and now you have a seamless version that is texture perfect that is conformed to your underlying Genesis, this absolutely beats the geografting texture screwup problems as it completely gets around it.

But wait, there's more to this process, because your 'clothing' version of the Genesis1 skin doesn't have any morphs of it's own, it can only follow the morphs of the Genesis1 that is 'wearing' it.  

So here's how to make and save morphs for your 'clothing', specifically in this case as I mentioned I was looking for morphs on the ladyparts themselves to be available for use (I know that sounds bad but this is all strictly for science :)  ) 

In Studio, we've got the scene open with our original Genesis1 that has the working geograft, and in the same scene is the 'clothing' we made out of the obj formed from that same Genesis1.

I go to the ladyparts geografted bit, then dial in one of the morphs.  I then move back so I'm selected on the Genesis1 (which has the geografted ladyparts attached to it) and make sure I select it at the top level, then export as an .obj file somewhere (naming it for the morph I have dialed in on the ladypart).

I then select the 'clothing' I made and select edit>object>Morph Loader Pro.

In the Morph Loader Pro popup I search for the .obj I just created for the morph, then hit 'accept'

Tada, we now have put that specific morph into the 'clothing' version of my Genesis.  Rinse and repeat for however many morphs you want to put into the 'clothing' version of your character, then save it out as a Figure/Prop asset, import into Carrara and you're good to go (you can then save it as a carrara object in your object tray for future use).

2 ways to go from there, like I said you can use it as 'clothing' for an invisible Genesis character.

Alternately if you want to take the time (and I think I will do this) you can go morph by morph and put every single morph that your Genesis has into the 'clothing' version, and once that's done you can just use the 'clothing' version as it's own figure, since it can do everything the original Genesis can anyway, so you don't need an invisible underlying figure for it to conform to.  The 'clothing' version works just like an original Genesis, poses work just fine on it as it has the same bones and rigging as any other Genesis character does, and regular Genesis clothing conforms to it fine as well.  That can be a little time consuming to setup, to be sure, but I think it will be worth it in the end, so that's what I'm planning to do ultimately.

Like I said, I've only done this on Genesis1 so far, but I see no reason at all that it shouldn't work on Genesis2 or other figures and other forms of geografts besides genitals, but again, I haven't really tested yet.  But I can say it is a 100% solution to get a geografted fully-morphed genital on a Genesis1 at least, so I thought I would share.

Post edited by Jonstark on
  • DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,125

@Jonstark - wow, great job.  I will have to test this on other figures, but I don't have much content with geografts.  Have been avoiding them.  Will report back with results. 

- Thank you for reporting such specific instructions!

edited August 2017

Wow, @Jonstark, this sounds fantastic! I can't wait to try it out!!!

It sounds like you're using DS to do exactly what I'm attempting in Blender, with the advantage that DS gets the textures right! Awesome.

Post edited by Inkubo on
  • Oso3DOso3D Posts: 14,958

If you do this, will it be possible to then apply the new object as a morph for the figure?

I've been trying to work out a way to create morphs for geografted figures and any time I work on it in Carrara the UV situation makes it go bonkers.

If you do this, will it be possible to then apply the new object as a morph for the figure?

I've been trying to work out a way to create morphs for geografted figures and any time I work on it in Carrara the UV situation makes it go bonkers.

I'm not 100% sure I understand the question, but I'll stab at it, purely from the specific example of the V5 genitals I was working on.  The geografted part has more polys/vertices than the part it is replacing, so I don't think I could make a morph of the genitals using the original figure alone as there aren't enough polys and vertices to do that.  I suppose if I wanted to make morph of a ken-doll like neutered blank area where the anatomically correct genital now is on the new figure I created, it would be no different than creating any other morph in Carrara and shouldn't affect the UV at all, since this is no longer really a geografted object, but instead a whole new object that is all of one piece.  I loaded it up to test, and added a morph in Carrara to my new version of Genesis1 that has the ladyparts, and no issues, textures are still seamless and perfect.  So unless I'm misunderstanding the question, I think this approach solves that problem.

BTW, I have a question on adding morphs in Studio (which I was completely unfamiliar with til you put me on the track, so thanks :) ) which is that I can certainly add any morph that is 0 - 100%, but some morphs like for example Waist Side-Side have a -100% to +100% for the original morph in Genesis, I'm wondering if there is a way to add the full morph all on one slider, or whether I'll have to split each of those into 2 sliders (for example one to control going to the Waist Left Side 0% - 100% and a second morph to go to the Waist Right Side 0% - 100%).  I know this is really a Studio question, but does anyone know how those types of morphs are created and saved all on the same slider?

@Jonstark, would you mind looking at these screenshots to see if I have messed up your process? I've tried several times and fooled around with the export and import settings, but so far it seems the hooves may still be hosing me up. The mesh from the .OBJ is initially almost perfect: incorrect texturing of the eyes is the only obvious sign that I loaded the .OBJ on top of the original. But then when I run the Transfer Utility, the mesh moves up about a head-height, then the fitting process distorts it madly. I think morphs that create the minotaur's shape are double-applied to the .OBJ mesh.

The Before and After shots in images 1 and 5 look a little weird because (a) I removed the horns, since they aren't really geografts and I was afraid they were the cause of the problems, and (b) I'm using the flesh-colored Asterion skin, and even without genitalia it could seem too much like nudity for this forum, so I switched my viewport to Lit Wireframe mode in order to display the mesh.

Carrara Minotaur 1.PNG
    709 x 617 - 176K
    Carrara Minotaur 2.PNG
    461 x 514 - 31K
    Carrara Minotaur 3.PNG
    377 x 506 - 17K
    Carrara Minotaur 4.PNG
    480 x 649 - 28K
    Carrara Minotaur 5.PNG
    832 x 653 - 259K

Jonstark: I have no idea and was planning on asking that question at some point; I have this 'eyestalks woman' morph in mind, and it'd be nice if I could do 'bend up/down' rather than having twice as many morphs. I THINK it might be done as a morph that actually controls/moves two other morphs, but ... not sure how to do that.

As for the initial question... the issue is that I'm trying to make snake-like dragons. Dragons have a geograft 'wingless' that, well, removes and patches over the wings. The problem is that the morph I have doesn't do much about the actual shape of the geograft, because I'm not sure how to DO that; I'd either like to adjust the actual body such that it will compensate when geografted and smooth out lumps, OR, less ideally, have a separate morph linked to the anatomy that smooths it out for this purpose.

But I can't figure out how to do either thing.

edited August 2017
    Inkubo said:

@Jonstark, would you mind looking at these screenshots to see if I have messed up your process? I've tried several times and fooled around with the export and import settings, but so far it seems the hooves may still be hosing me up. The mesh from the .OBJ is initially almost perfect: incorrect texturing of the eyes is the only obvious sign that I loaded the .OBJ on top of the original. But then when I run the Transfer Utility, the mesh moves up about a head-height, then the fitting process distorts it madly. I think morphs that create the minotaur's shape are double-applied to the .OBJ mesh.

The Before and After shots in images 1 and 5 look a little weird because (a) I removed the horns, since they aren't really geografts and I was afraid they were the cause of the problems, and (b) I'm using the flesh-colored Asterion skin, and even without genitalia it could seem too much like nudity for this forum, so I switched my viewport to Lit Wireframe mode in order to display the mesh.

Wait, isn't the Minotaur just a morph for Genesis2male?  I don't want to lead anyone down the primrose path here, because like I said I haven't done anything to test the minotaur, but to be clear and make a direct correlation I wasn't putting the V5 genital on V5, I started with Genesis1 in its absolute base state, added the geograft, and nothing else when I did the first export to obj.  The parallel would be Genesis2Male in it's base state with geografts for whatever geograft parts are added for the minotaur (guessing horns and hooves) and nothing else, you would add the morphs to go to the minotaur shape later, but geografts would be added to the base Genesis2male and exported as obj at that point and then re-imported.

As for the screenshots, the obj export looks exactly like I had it set, I didn't pay as much attention to the obj import (pretty much I think left everything at whatever the defaults were) and for the transfer utility I didn't even click on the drop down for advanced options, literally just used the 2 buttons at the top for source and target without changing anything else, so I think it all looks right.

Post edited by Jonstark on

Yes, the Minotaur is a morphed G2M, so maybe what I need to look into next is how to remove the morphs before exporting. Thanks for checking out my screenshots!

Jonstark: I have no idea and was planning on asking that question at some point; I have this 'eyestalks woman' morph in mind, and it'd be nice if I could do 'bend up/down' rather than having twice as many morphs. I THINK it might be done as a morph that actually controls/moves two other morphs, but ... not sure how to do that.

I appreciate the answer, I guess we'll just have to ask in a Studio forum or the Commons to find out.  It must be possible because while those morphs with sliders in both directions are that common, there are a lot of them, and not all are from daz, other content creators are able to make them too.  I'd rather cut down on the number of sliders if I can, but it isn't a big deal really.  I was struggling to figure out how to set a morph ona specific body part, because it wants to put all my morphs into the top level of my obj, and then I realized 'why the heck would I want to separate them into the various body parts, am I insane?" because for the longest time it's irked me when I have to go hunting through body parts to find the morph I want, searching the top level, actor, head, chest, etc etc.  Much better to have them all on the top level so that I can easily click on the top level and find anything I want there.  It's just a matter of organizing them into subgroupings which make sense (which I did figure out how to do, in that when you have loaded the morph into morph loader pro but before applying it, click on the little arrow to the left of the morph obj name and it shows some fields down below, one of the fields is called 'Property Group' and in there you can set the morph to be in its own little subgroup, so for example I might put a pout expression under the section of expressions, so that when I want to find all my potential expressions for my character I can dial in, I simply click on the 'root' thingie in the parameters tab and select 'expressions' and it will filter out all the other morphs except for the morphs I've designated as 'expressions', for example.

Inkubo said:

Yes, the Minotaur is a morphed G2M, so maybe what I need to look into next is how to remove the morphs before exporting. Thanks for checking out my screenshots!

I just realized I own the Minotaur (got it during those bundle sales a long time ago, actually I think I picked up the bundle it was in to get a fantasy scene and some clothing as I didn't have any particular use of the Minotaur, and figured it couldn't hurt to have it around.

So I installed it real quick, then loaded up a Gen2male in Studio.  Added the horns, tail, legs/lower torso, but not the 'wearable' which I have no idea what that is but it seems to put in a fully formed minotaur over the top of the G2male.  I selected the mat and put it on him, so I had what looked like a very strange looking G2Male with the lower body and horns of the minotaur (and the tail in the back). Saved as obj, brought it back into studio, ran the transfer utility, saved out as a prop/figure asset.  

Imported into Carrara, loaded up a Gen2male and dialed up the minotaur body and head, then made it invisble, fit my 'clothing' version of the minotaur onto it and boom, minotaur looking sweet, no texture problems I could find anywhere.  There was one thing, which is that the Gen2male, even with the minotaur body dialed in, still has normal legs where the bones bend so the shin goes backward instead of forward, so might need to fiddle with the contraints to remove them so the leg bends in the other direction, but for a quick test, seems to work pretty well.

Back in Studio I tried to save out a morph on the original G2male minotaur that was built with geografting and then put it nto my clothing object, but got error message that there were not matching numbers of vertices, so I think I missed a step there where I need to remove some verts to make it match or something (the V5 genital on genesis1 was my first successful test of this and I did it by mistake, so I may have missed something I fiddled with the first time around), so needs a bit more fiddling to figure out, but overall is working fine for a first test, just got to figure out that morph thing or what I'm doing wrong there.  But I'm late for bed...

Minotaur Test1.png
    480 x 800 - 124K
    Jonstark said:

So I installed it real quick, then loaded up a Gen2male in Studio.  Added the horns, tail, legs/lower torso, but not the 'wearable' which I have no idea what that is but it seems to put in a fully formed minotaur over the top of the G2male.  I selected the mat and put it on him, so I had what looked like a very strange looking G2Male with the lower body and horns of the minotaur (and the tail in the back). Saved as obj, brought it back into studio, ran the transfer utility, saved out as a prop/figure asset.  

That looks spectacular! So you loaded a plain G2M and applied the geografts, rather than loading the Minotaur character, then did the morphs later. I'll give that a whirl tonight!

Timmins, I also have the Dragon, here's the Wingless geographed in Carrara (Octane render this time, just for kicks and maybe to get a better look at it).   This was super quick, no real testing of anything yet.

DragonWinglessOctane.png
    1000 x 750 - 3M

Yes, the trick is that I want to change the geograft and then apply it as a morph of the original figure (or the anatomy) in Daz, which I haven't figured out how to do.

Yes, the trick is that I want to change the geograft and then apply it as a morph of the original figure (or the anatomy) in Daz, which I haven't figured out how to do.

Oh I completely misunderstood what you were trying to do.  Sounds like you want a morph slider that could either sprout wings to full growth wingspan or on the other end collapse it down to wingless.  I think you could do that with some time and trouble in Carrara, but as for getting the uv and texturing to look like a smooth back, that would be very challenging I would think. On the other hand you could have 2 dragons, one with wings that collapse down to nothing, and one that's wingless, have the windless one inviisible til the moment that the winged one collapses the wings down nothing, then switch out which one is visible, or at least that's my best guess.

• StezzaStezza Posts: 7,988

awesome work Jonstark... will come in handy if I ever get any geografted figures yes

edited August 2017

Well, I tried this technique last night and couldn't get it to work. I'm absolutely not complaining: I just thought it would be a good idea to post what I have tried and the results I achieved in case someone could point out where I went wrong--or at least use the results as the basis for ongoing experimentation.

@Jonstark, yesterday I couldn't interpret what you were saying about the normal legs, and when I looked at your sample image, I guess I saw what I hoped to see rather than what's actually there. Then I tried the technique out last night and learned what you meant.

In my description below,

• G2M refers to the "real" minotaur with geografts applied, the strange-looking one that is saved as an ordinary human shape without the minotaur morphs, then later in Carrara morphed and made invisible because of bonkers texturing
    • Wearable refers to unmorphed body parts that were saved to .OBJ files, reloaded into DS, and turned into wearable items via the Transfer Utility

First I loaded a Genesis 2 Male and textured him and applied the geografts without the minotaur body morphs. Puny human! I saved that to one .DUF file, then exported to .OBJ, imported the .OBJ, and ran the Transfer Utility to make it a wearable. Then I deleted the G2M so the wearable was alone in the scene, and saved it as a second .DUF. So now I had two files, one with the G2M and one with the wearable. I started Carrara, created a new medium scene, and loaded the G2M. I unchecked the Visible box at the Actor level and then loaded in the wearable and fitted it to the G2M. And as the very last step, I went to the G2M's Parameters and dialed in the minotaur body morph.

What I found was that the body morph affects the G2M's skeleton and the portion of the wearable that originally came from the standard Genesis 2 Male body. Portions of the wearable that came from geografts, like the legs and hooves, aren't affected, so the shin and foot portion of the legs remain emaciated little sticks. I looked at your sample image again and now I see that the legs seem to be thin there as well. That makes sense, so then I looked for more morph parameters. I could not find a morph that would affect the legs to make them proportional to the rest of the minotaur's body.

Suspecting that the Transfer Utility destroyed the ability to morph geografts, I started over and this time stuck on genitalia before creating the wearable skin. Back in Carrara I loaded up the new x-rated minotaur and skin, and found that when I adjust the minotaur's penile length, I can see the skeleton's bones lengthen, but the morph doesn't change the visible genitalia in any way. Morphs that apply to the real gens don't affect the wearable ones.

So if putting the pieces together messed up the ability to morph the pieces, the next obvious thing to try would be not putting the pieces together. So then I tried saving a separate .DUF for each piece: one for the unmorphed G2M with all parts attached, and one for each wearable made from the body and other parts. One exception was the tail. There are no morphs for it, so I left it attached when creating the wearable body. Unfitting the legs made the human-style legs reappear on the wearable body, but my plan was to ultimately hide their faces in the vertex editor. I hoped that ultimately in Carrara the shaping morphs would apply correctly to each body part on the invisible G2M, and if I then attached a wearable to each geografted part, the wearable would fit right and morphs would be reprojected properly into them. But what really happens with this setup is that in Carrara the wearable body goes crazy with the hands all curled up and the tongue sticking like a tentacle out of the beast's throat.

I'll see if I can think of anything else to try tonight.

Post edited by Inkubo on

Whoops, I think you're exactly right, I wasn't looking closely at the legs and they are the too-skinny version of the unmorphed Gen2male...  Sorry I guess I wasn't paying close enough attention

Should still theoretically be a way to do it though, if I can figure out how to save morphs in the new wearable (much better description by the way than the 'clothing version' I was using prior).  I'm guessing that the error message I was getting about how I couldn't save a morph to the wearable because the number of vertexes didn't match was directly because for some reason it wasn't counting the geografted section as part of the vertexes on the original G2M.  I'm at work and just casually browsing the forums so I can't dive back in til much later tonight to try another approach on this.  I believe it should still be doable though.

The Genesis1 with female genitals I originally did this on also wouldn't work as a wearable without morphs (well it would work, but there were no morphs available for the genitals) but I was able to add morphs to the wearable itself.  I can't think of a good reason why the same principle wouldn't apply to the Minotaur too, but maybe there's something I'm missing.  In that case we would add the morph of the body shape to the legs/hooves of the wearable, then once it's conformed to our invisible minotaur we simply dial in the morph so that it expands to the right dimension.

I'm glad you don't feel I'm being a pest!