Stereoscopic rendering

Hi,

in cinema, there are a lot of 3D movies, using stereoscopic rendering. That is relativey easy, the renderer just needs to set up 2 cameras in the distance of two eyes and reder both - sequentially is o.k.

Then, it can be either saved as single jpg files for the left and right eye or as side-by-side picture in one file.

Comments

• SolarieSolarie Posts: 34

I agree i would also love to see this come to DAZ :) 

• kaotkblisskaotkbliss Posts: 2,914

I remember seeing somewhere someone had made a camera preset (Or at least gave step by step instructions on how to set up your own) for doing 3D in 3D work in Daz Studio

It was either on sharecg or I believe there was an anyglyph 3d thread it may have been in

• Beat578Beat578 Posts: 191
    edited August 2017

It's not that complicated:

1. Create a Camera and Name it "Left Eye"
    2. Create a Copy of that Camera and Name it "Right Eye"
    3. Parent the "Right Eye" Camera to the "Left Eye" Camera
    4. Translate the Camera (6 - 8 cm works fine for me). 
    5. Rotate the Left Eye Camera just a little bit towards the right Eye Camera (Thats trial and error, and depends on the pic).

So if you now move your Left Eye (or you can call it "Lead Camera"), the parented one will move as well. You then just have to render both pictures. 

To merge, there is a freeware tool called: StereoPhoto Maker (http://stereo.jpn.org/eng/stphmkr/index.html). It's very easy to use and you can then merge your pictures. 

ATTENTION: If you want to see them on a TV later, it's important that you have the exact Size of your TV screen, some TV's won't show them correctly if not. 

Hope that helps.

Cheers Beat

Edit: Added point 5 i forgott last time.

Post edited by Beat578 on
  • OstadanOstadan Posts: 1,123

A little googling unearthed this interesting article: http://doc-ok.org/?p=77 ; ; basically, the 'bottom line' is that the camera model used by our rendering engines can't do it quite right. 

• VueiyVueiy Posts: 530
    Beat578 said:

It's not that complicated:

1. Create a Camera and Name it "Left Eye"
    2. Create a Copy of that Camera and Name it "Right Eye"
    3. Parent the "Right Eye" Camera to the "Left Eye" Camera
    4. Translate the Camera (6 - 8 cm works fine for me). 
    5. Rotate the Left Eye Camera just a little bit towards the right Eye Camera (Thats trial and error, and depends on the pic).

So if you now move your Left Eye (or you can call it "Lead Camera"), the parented one will move as well. You then just have to render both pictures. 

To merge, there is a freeware tool called: StereoPhoto Maker (http://stereo.jpn.org/eng/stphmkr/index.html). It's very easy to use and you can then merge your pictures. 

ATTENTION: If you want to see them on a TV later, it's important that you have the exact Size of your TV screen, some TV's won't show them correctly if not. 

Hope that helps.

Cheers Beat

Edit: Added point 5 i forgott last time.

Might it not be easier to create a null and parent both cameras to that?  Also, depending on the shot, might it not be better to use "Point At" on both cameras, or possibly the null itself?  I imagine it would take a little trial and error to figure out which setting is better, and in which circumstances one might work better than the other.

• Most video editors can join the two images. ill look in to it though.... A funtion for joining left & right images in to one image would be handy though.. search google images "farmit plugin" !

• I think, it would be easy to create a script or render mode doing this. So it would be a good feature which does not cost much effort for the programming team.

So I would love to have that feature and use it a lot. 

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 38,041
    edited June 2020

NM

Post edited by WendyLuvsCatz on
  • ColvinColvin Posts: 23

Hello all! Here are some of my stereo optic attempts. It is an awesome way to really get the 3D feel without using anything but your eyes (if you can cross them?) Please contact me if you need any advice.

Look at the image and cross your eyes till there are three images and focus on the middle one.

litha.jpg
    1067 x 800 - 176K
    only death here.jpg
    1399 x 700 - 219K
    tiolet trouble.jpg
    1200 x 600 - 151K
    new sheriff.jpg
    1200 x 686 - 97K
    dwarf.jpg
    1200 x 835 - 179K