Fish...as in schools of fish...

- been searching the store and - can't believe there are no fish.......only saw an Angel fish and ...sharks.....

Have no idea how popular they would be- since there are coral sets and reefs....

I thought there would be a 'school of tropical fish' - like a bunch linked together, grouped.

Trying to figure out how they end up in so many renders....maybe CGIegg or whatever...

Was looking for an entire scene.

There's all the Poseidon stuff, I have the plants and such, but those seem to be devoid of life besides invertebrates....

Will probably do the fish post and snatch some alpha fish samples....

Comments

• Griffin AvidGriffin Avid Posts: 3,758

Researching all the problems with these fish so I'll pass.....

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604

Free fish (but no chips)    http://www.toucan.co.jp/3DCG/3ds/FishModelsE.html

• srieschsriesch Posts: 4,241
    edited August 2017

These are single fish not schools but of course you can instance them.  I've found it handy to create a group, then duplicate that and rotate a few plus the group a little, and repeat to build up a medium sized school without a lot of effort.

https://www.daz3d.com/angelfish

https://www.daz3d.com/lionfish

https://www.daz3d.com/butterflyfish

https://www.daz3d.com/tuna-fish

What were the issues you were seeing?  I haven't used my fish extensively, but didn't notice any problem with the rockfish.

the deep.png
    1920 x 1200 - 4M
    Post edited by sriesch on

It would be handy to have a large morphable school of fish with parameter options to curve them in a variety of directions.

It would be handy to have a large morphable school of fish with parameter options to curve them in a variety of directions.

Yes. Would help animators too......

What were the issues you were seeing?  I haven't used my fish extensively, but didn't notice any problem with the rockfish.

There's a thread saying that the fish won't load and how old a product it was, so I avoided those....maybe they work now and whatever was wrong was fixed.

Thanks all.

avxp said:

I just tried all three of these, and all three loaded and rendered fine in 3DL in my quick test running DS 4.8.  A brief glance at the installer's file dates (I'm no longer getting product updates unless there's some specific need) indicate the pacific rockfish and pacific seapearch files are dated 2015, and triggerfish installer dated 2009, so it is possible there have been updates since then that I don't have.   While there are compatibility issues with some older content and one should do research, honestly most of my content is super-old and works great, I still shop out of the back catalog as there's a ton of awesome stuff in it.  Remember there's a return policy (excluding some special sale events maybe), so you could always grab it and test it if you are worried, if for some reason it doesn't work you can return it and keep hunting for alternate fish.

Thank you for your due diligence. 

• Oso3DOso3D Posts: 14,961

$25 for the ancient rockfish?? Sheesh

$25 for the ancient rockfish?? Sheesh

yep, wait for a sale.  :-)

edited August 2017

Finally tried experimenting with Instances Plus ( https://www.daz3d.com/instances-plus-for-daz-studio ).  I still need to learn exactly how to use it, but it looks like it will probably be super-easy to use this to create a school of fish, although I haven't gotten the hang of arranging them yet.  (EDITED TO ADD: possibly rotation not working?)

screenshot, instances plus.png
    2055 x 1168 - 486K
    edited August 2017

Ok, experiment 2 was pretty cool.  Using the school created in the method above, I then loaded the easypose tube (you could use anything really, a rope, a cable, a chain, a creature with a tail), then in the scene pane I manually dragged one fish into each node of the tube (I didn't use all the nodes).  It's a bit of manual labor to set up but of course you only have to do it once and you can save it.  Then, the easypose controls bend the school of fish!   The hard part would be putting the correct fish in the correct nodes so the school bends in a natural manner rather than random fish going in random directions.  Then of course you would hide the tube.  It will be a bit tedious to set up initially.

You may of course prefer to just wait for somebody to offer a school for sale, but just wanted to share this option in case you found it helpful.

screenshot, easypose school.png
    767 x 690 - 225K
  • Serene NightSerene Night Posts: 17,602

Rendo had this released recently 3D Underwater Fauna: African Cichlids

they come in school formation and it is daz compatible. The pa makes some great items

Great work with the instances...I still haven't explored that system yet.

Great find Serene. That item is wishlisted and will be grabbed,

• There are African Cichlids  in the other daz/poser site who's name canot be mentioned.               

edited August 2017

There are African Cichlids  in the other daz/poser site who's name canot be mentioned.               

?

Which site is that.   I know of one one(or maybe more) which we do not allow links to because of the "Adult" content, but I cannot think of any site which we do not allow mention of.

Renderosity does have African Cichlids. both in normal format or in the more expensive game format, as Serene Night has already mentioned.

Adited to add that Dinoraul also has a lot of what are deemed "Fantasy" fish on Rendo,  In fact putting "Fish into a serch line brings up quite a few fish.

Post edited by Chohole on

Fishy problem solved 2x over.

And you know, it's such a minor and small detail, I really didn't need such a heavy handed solution. Why do I care so much?

And worse I grabbed that $1.99 fish with a light on it's head that's coupled with a DEEP OCEAN super-mouth- fish and....and...and...

Let's just say they didn't get along well.

• Chohole said:

There are African Cichlids  in the other daz/poser site who's name canot be mentioned.               

?

Which site is that.   I know of one one(or maybe more) which we do not allow links to because of the "Adult" content, but I cannot think of any site which we do not allow mention of.

Renderosity does have African Cichlids. both in normal format or in the more expensive game format, as Serene Night has already mentioned.

Adited to add that Dinoraul also has a lot of what are deemed "Fantasy" fish on Rendo,  In fact putting "Fish into a serch line brings up quite a few fish.

If someone goes by a strict interpretation of the Terms of Service, wouldn't mention of products on other sites constitute a "Commercial" thread and thus be against the ToS?

Why bring this up after all this time.   We have always allowed responses to be posted when it is in response to a question such as "Does anyone know where I can find  So and So" 

We habitually remove links when they are unsolicited, those do constitute a Commercial because they ate promoting a product, not replying to a question.