How would I drape a pair of pants over a chair?

I have two props loaded, a pair of pants and a chair. The pants are obviously set up to conform to a figure, in this case the Genesis 3 male. I'd like to drape the pants over the chair in some way, like over the back or the seat in an effort to create more realizm in certain scenes. Is this possible with props and if so, how?

chair and pants.jpeg
1057 x 1097 - 215K

Comments

• gederixgederix Posts: 390
    edited August 2017

One option is something like this:

https://www.daz3d.com/messy-laundry-mega-set

Or you can use something like VWD to drape pretty much any clothing, for sale over at renderosity I think.

Post edited by gederix on
  • crashworshipcrashworship Posts: 208
    edited August 2017
    gederix said:

One option is something like this:

https://www.daz3d.com/messy-laundry-mega-set

Or you can use something like VWD to drape pretty much any clothing, for sale over at renderosity I think.

Thanks. The laundry stuff may work a bit but I don't get the impression that any of these items are posable which would confrom to the props I'm using. VWD seems to be a Windows/Poser item and I'm on a Mac and only use Studio so that won't work.

Post edited by crashworship on
  • ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604

When I wanted to do something similar in Poser I scaled the clothing item on the Z axis so it was almost flat, and then used a bent pose to drape it over the furniture. Literally used a pose for a character that was bending and tehn dialled it in more.  As in the image on the menu page on my site.   I am not sure if DS can do something similar.

• gederixgederix Posts: 390

Theres a daz version of VWD, mac is another issue however.

To use the laundry product with the pants you want to use, you could retexture the draped jeans from that set to match as best as possble the clothing prop you are using.

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001

Generally, I just export the item I want to drape as an obj and the one I'm draping over, too.  I import both into Blender and run a cloth sim on the item I want to drape.  Then when it's the way I want it, I'll export that as an obj to import back into Studio.

• rames44rames44 Posts: 329

You might want to check out the Clothes-Hanging-Morph over on cgshare. It creates a "flattened" figure, still poseable, to which you can fit clothing. With a near full bend at the knees, you might be able to do what you want. 

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    edited August 2017
    rames44 said:

You might want to check out the Clothes-Hanging-Morph over on cgshare. It creates a "flattened" figure, still poseable, to which you can fit clothing. With a near full bend at the knees, you might be able to do what you want. 

I didn't mention that because for extreme bends, like jeans over the back of the chair, it doesn't do very well.   It works best for straight hanging items or things that are not quite bent so 'tight'.

https://www.sharecg.com/v/86616/view/21/DAZ-Studio/Clothes-Hanging-Morph

Post edited by mjc1016 on
  • If you have the dynamic clothing module, just use any pair of dynamic jeans and set the dials so it will drape over the chair. It took some experimentation,  but I do this often in scenes. 

• frankrblowfrankrblow Posts: 2,052

If you don't mind using jeans, there's the "Boyfriend Jeans" at Renderosity, which has many morphs, including two for draping the jeans over a chair, and three morphs for a clothes hanger, so it wouldn't be too hard to get a look close to what you want. I have this and it is a very versatile product.

https://www.renderosity.com/mod/bcs/boyfriend-jeans-for-genesis-3-female-s-/114693/

• Ken OBanionKen OBanion Posts: 1,447
    Okay, my two cents (which is about what anything I offer is worth): Whenever I need to produce rumpled clothing, like draped over a chair, a locker-room bench, or on the floor, I export the object's mesh as an .OBJ, and import it into Poser, along with the prop I'm draping it over. I bring it into the Cloth Room, "clothify" it (and is that even a word!?), and run a simulation. I set it to collide with the prop (don't forget to include the Ground), and cut it loose. Then I re-export it as an .OBJ again, and import it back into Studio. Obviously, this process requires Poser.