How do I save a morph to Millennium Dog?

Oso3DOso3D Posts: 14,914

How do I save a morph to Millennium Dog?

If I try to save as a morph asset, it says 'save as figure/prop asset first.' If I do that, it says 'convert weight mapping first.'

At which point what I save is separate and the morph asset doesn't apply to the MilDog figure.

??

Post edited by Oso3D on

Comments

• As the title says.

Grrrrr

If I try to save as a morph asset, it says 'save as figure/prop asset first.' If I do that, it says 'convert weight mapping first.'

At which point what I save is separate and the morph asset doesn't apply to the MilDog figure.

??

The Millennium Dog is not a DSON figure so it doesn't load asset files. Instead it uses morph injection, though it isn't an ExP figure (of the Daz animals only the horse is ExP-based, as far as I know). That means you woudl probably neen to export a CR2, then do copy-and-paste in a text editor to build an Inj/Rem poses set that would use one of the Commnunity Channels on the base CR2.

• Oso3DOso3D Posts: 14,914
    edited August 2017

... seriously? Ugh. Doing this as a freebie thing and scope just ballooned. ;)

Debating whether to bother. (I'll give it a whirl, maybe it's not as hard as it sounds. ;)

Is there an easy way to determine if something is a DSON figure?

Post edited by Oso3D on
  • mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    edited August 2017

The Millennium Dog is not a DSON figure so it doesn't load asset files. Instead it uses morph injection, though it isn't an ExP figure (of the Daz animals only the horse is ExP-based, as far as I know). That means you woudl probably neen to export a CR2, then do copy-and-paste in a text editor to build an Inj/Rem poses set that would use one of the Commnunity Channels on the base CR2.

And THAT is why there are so few freebie morphs for it (or any of the older animals, really)...

Post edited by mjc1016 on
  • WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,947
    edited August 2017

like Lyne does with her milcat morphs, she made new cr2 files

likewise Garee puss in boots,

yeah I just use an obj but that cannot be redistributed

Post edited by WendyLuvsCatz on

(rubs his head)

And I have this wonderful PZ2 file that for some unknown reason just... doesn't work. No error, it loads it, then... nothing.

uuugh

If anyone can try this out and look and tell me what I'm doing wrong, I'd be eternally grateful. It should go in My DAZ 3D Library\Runtime\Libraries\Pose\DAZ's Mil Dog

(Change .txt to .pz2 extension)

txt
    txt
    Turtledog.txt

Reading more, it seems that MilDog doesn't have inj channels. ... that would explain it

I assume it's not permitted to distribute a modified Obj of a MilDog, correct? (Since with that users could then build their own morph, basically, from the obj)

I'm seeing some indication that Millennium Dog LE might have inj channels, but I can't track down what they are called. (and documentation, well)

Is there a way to check on the model?

• Open the CR2. There are 15 community chgannels (PBMCC_01 to PBMCC_15) and, though you shouldn't use them, fifteen daz channels (PBMDC_01 to PBMDC_15).

Then I'm back to 'I have no clue why this isn't working.'

Attempting to make a similar morph for Daz Horse 2, which at least is easier to work with. 

Turtledog that starts as a horse? Why not 

• BejaymacBejaymac Posts: 1,851

Don't have Mil Dog but I suspect that "actor Morphs" is your problem.

Progress! The dial gets added...

But has no effect. ... ... grr

Eh, thought I had something and then nothing. Ok, back to making turtlehorses.

I have the Mil Dog LE, and after checking it through it doesn't have a bone called Morphs, so I have to ask how the flying **** did you make that PZ2.

Followed steps given for 'creating an injection' which involves opening CR2 and copy/pasting, adding a header, altering target to PBMCC_01. I suspect there's something wrong with the header, but no idea what.

• The morphs bone was added to some figures as, at the time, Poser didn't save figure-level settings in poses - having the morphs bone with linked controls got around that issue.

In the PZ2 it says "actor Morphs:1", that's the bone name but in the LE there is no bone called Morphs, if I knew which bone it was actually meant for then I might be able to fudge that PZ2 to work on the LE.

But I suspect that what you have in the PZ2 is only a partial morph.

• The full dog doesn't havea Moprhs bone either (not surprisingly, since the difference is just morph support). I think your exemplar or tutorial is for Victroia 4 et al, not the dog.

Getting the feeling that tutorial was on how to do an INJ/REM for a face morph, rather than a Full Body Morph as there is a lot of data missing from that PZ2. I dragged the mesh into hexagon to check the vertex count of the various groups, that targetGeom in your PZ2 is for the hip bone, the numbDeltas matches the vertex count for the hip group.

That leaves you with a possible 36 more targetGeom to copy/paste from your CR2.

Yeah, I couldn't find any better tutorial.

A lot of floundering and trying to extrapolate

You might want to give this a serious rethink, getting a morph to work on the DAZ Horse 2 is one thing getting a similar morph to work on the Mil Dog is another thing entirely, the Horse is a DS native figure (AKA DSON), the Dog is an old style Poser figure (as in start of this century old), with animated joint centers DSON figures can take any extreme morphs as you can adjust the rig to suit, the Dog would need to be redone as a Poser 9+ WM figure to stand a chance of being able to do that.

Made a horse along similar lines. It works well enough. :)

http://willbear.deviantart.com/art/Torteq-grazing-703264407

• patience55patience55 Posts: 7,006

I ran a tutorial on the mildog some time back but there was notably a lack of interest so pulled it.

One can convert the mildog to a weight-mapped figure; then it keeps all its nice morphs etc. One can then also save out character morphs etc. for quickly loading whichever breed one wants. And one can morph said beastie too ;-)

Yeah, but at that point it becomes really hard to distribute.

For my next project I'll probably just try to make my own figures; I was trying to start smaller! ;)

Makes me sad when I see people still talking about "convert to WM" despite all my warnings, just shows how little people actually understand what is going on "under the hood" so to speak.

@ timmins.william, I have an old script called InjRemExport.dsa that appears, from the quick test I just done, to still work in DS4.9, being a DSA means there is no author data in it and I can't remember where I got it.

Gonna hunt through my vast collection of zips and see if I can find out where it came from.

Don't bother on my account; I'm not averse to just making my own figures, which I will likely do with any subsequent alien fauna.

Bejaymac said:

Makes me sad when I see people still talking about "convert to WM" despite all my warnings, just shows how little people actually understand what is going on "under the hood" so to speak.

@ timmins.william, I have an old script called InjRemExport.dsa that appears, from the quick test I just done, to still work in DS4.9, being a DSA means there is no author data in it and I can't remember where I got it.

Gonna hunt through my vast collection of zips and see if I can find out where it came from.

That sounds like a DeltaX15 script...and the version I have is a dsb and it has this in the readme...

The script and associated files are released under the GNU General Public License
    (http://www.gnu.org/copyleft/gpl.html) and are (C) 2006-2007 DeltaX15

It was one of Delta's scripts, did a google for it and found a dead link on Tofusan's site.

Delta did IMHO vital scripts and plugins for DS2 and 3, DS4 "broke" so much that I think he just gave up.

Since he GPL'd that one...I think I can safely offer it.  But only on a request it basis.