A request for Maclean: build-products patterned to his Classroom set

nomad-ads_8ecd56922enomad-ads_8ecd56922e Posts: 1,898
edited August 2017 in Product Suggestions

I was recently playing around a bit of Maclean's Classroom set, and then was digging around through his building and house Room Creator packs, trying to find something that matched closely the design style of the classroom set.  Basically, I wanted something that had a door with that same little window directly above the doorway, AND where the door had that narrow-stripe window towards one edge of it.  The only door I found that had the little vertical window in it was one of those push-against-the-crash-bars types, not one with the sorta-L-shaped doorknob.  Also, I couldn't find any premade hallways that had the same two-tone walls the classroom had.  (There was a two-tone-walls hallway, but the place where one tone ended and the other began was at a different hight than was in the classroom walls, so when placed down next to it, it called too much attention to itself by NOT matching.  :D )  Also, none of the existing build kits seem to have that worn wooden floor, either.  So, one would be largely out of luck if one wanted to create an entire school interior that matched closely the look and style of the Classroom set  To make a hallways outside it, one COULD cheat a little by simply rezzing the Room Figure right out across from the Classroom and either turning that around 180 degrees so the classroom door is on the side facing towards the Classroom (but thereby winding up with the door at the oposite end of the hall) OR rez the Room Figure and delete everything out of it except that one wall and door, and move that into place to form the other wall of the hallway, but it'd be neat to have the rest of the school building that matched.

Post edited by nomad-ads_8ecd56922e on

Comments

• macleanmaclean Posts: 2,438

I can appreciate the difficulties you're having, but the problem is common to almost every interior set - how do you find all the stuff around it that matches? Unfortunately, it's not practical for me to build an entire environment around one set. I mean, I could do it, but how many people would actually buy it?

The only thing that springs to mind is my Corridors pack, and offhand, I can't remember whether it matches the classroom or not. These packs were all built at different times and with different uses in mind, so the styles don't always match up.

Sorry I can't be more helpful. If any other PA wants to tackle this, I'm all for it.

• nomad-ads_8ecd56922enomad-ads_8ecd56922e Posts: 1,898
    edited August 2017

Yup, that Corridors pack is one of the ones I already have.  Anyway, the main thing I was saying is it might make sense, if you were going to do another corridors pack, such that you'd be creating more variety of doors and so forth, that within that context you could recreate variations on that window-above-the-door theme.  A lot of old buildings have such a narrow, rectangular little window directly above the door... some that let the window swivel open.  I believe that sort of window is called a transom, and some publishing company editors refer to the arrival of unsolicited manuscripts as "books delivered over the transom," so it'd make sense to have a corridor pack that has stuff like that in it.  But also wooden floors, both new looking and old-and-worn looking.

And yeah, obviously it wouldn't make sense to make a corridor pack narrowly tuned to JUST that schoolroom set... but clearly there are a lot of other buildings of that period that one could probably make a larger variety of stuff to fit in with that might justify a new corridor pack, maybe mixxed in with a bunch of stuff from other periods and styles as well.  Particularly a larger selection of door styles (more different placements of windows in them and around them, for instance, with different sorts of doorknobs), wall styles, etc.  Stuff with wainscotting, stuff with niches, etc etc.

• macleanmaclean Posts: 2,438

I'll definitely keep your suggestions in mind. At the moment I'm updating an older pack (Streets) and making a sequel, and I've been looking at some other packs that I could do the same with - one of them was Corridors - so I may tackle a second pack at some point.

The reason for updating is that Iray is obviously here to stay, and many of the techniques we used to use are old-fashioned. (For example, displacement maps can be replaced with normal maps). So, no promises, but it's on my mind.

• nomad-ads_8ecd56922enomad-ads_8ecd56922e Posts: 1,898
    edited August 2017

Well, no huge rush.  I've got plenty of fish to fry myself.  :)