Explain it Like I'm 5. Where's My Damned Content!!!

Hi crew.

Before you say something...

YES, I searched the forums, yes I tried some of the things suggested.

I have been at this for SIX hours and can't find my content.

I'm running DS 4.8 on Windows 7.

How do I use this blasted software?

I had been running DS 2.3 since it came out.

When 2.3 opens up, it asks if you would like to search for new content.

How do I get 4.8 to ask this question.

Any help would be appreciated...

Comments

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565

Edit > Preferences > Content Library > Content Directory Manager

Set the DS-Format Content Folder(s) and Poser-Format Content Folders.

You'll then find your content in the Content Library pane under "Daz Studio Formats" and "Poser Formats".

• tsaristtsarist Posts: 1,606

Thanks for replying Mike

I did that.

Nothing is in the Content pane, even though it is in the actual folders.

Is there any other special buttons or thing I'm supposed to do?

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565

Can you post a screenshot of your Content Pane, and of the Content Directpry Manager (with the DS formats and Poser Formats expanded)?

Thanks Mike

I will do that tomorrow.

It's EIGHT hours and counting.

Some sleep and food will help me get a new start on this madness tomorrow.

Thanks for helping

CAN SOMEONE help ME?!

80 people read this and only one responded. and a WEEK has passed.

Is ANYONE able to load this software on their machines?

I'm running Windows 7, 64Bits, 4GB RAM

I had loaded Daz 4.8, but after hours of banging my head into a wall, I gave up.

Tonight I uninstalled 4.8 then tried to Install 4.9.

It gets stuck while installing the Content Management System.

It has been sitting on that for 15 minutes. I finally got tired and tried to cancel.

Everytime I cancel, rather than just stopping, it uninstalls EVERYTHING it just installed!!!

Sometimes I get an error message saying...

Error Copying File from Packed Archive

Then offers me a choice to Abort, Retry (which never works), or Ignore

I press Ignore and it loads everything up to the Content Management System, then it hangs up again.

CAN SOMEONE HELP ME?!?

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001

Without your screenshot, it's a little hard to say.

And if your new install attempt is hanging at trying to install the CMS, what security software are you running?

Hi Mjc1016

Yeah, my work computer is airlocked, plus the computer I'm talking to you on is a mac and my external Hard Drive from the PC wont connect to the Mac, so I'm stuck giving verbal descriptions.
    I guess I'm a little shocked because when daz started Genesis with 4.6, every other post was "I can't get this software to load" or "I can't find my content"

I figured 50 people would run in and tell me exactly what to do, since SOMEBODY is using the software.

I'm not running any security software.

THIS problem started when after not getting help with 4.8, I thought I would just uninstall it and try 4.9, hoping Daz had worked the bugs out.

My problem BEFORE was I couldn't find my content.

My problem NOW is DS won't load.

I even tried to go back to 4.8, but it keeps getting hung up while Installing, just like 4.9

I'd appreciate ANY help I can get to get the software installed and being able to FIND my content!

Thanks

It looks like both problems are revolving around the CMS...and that is handled by PostgreSQL.  There is one 'security' software maker that's had a long standing disagreement with the Postgre folks and throughout the history of this spat have blocked Postgre from running/installing. 

The best I can say is to manually whitelist the installer and possibly Postgre.

I'm not running any security software.

Should I just delete PostgreSQL?

Without it you end up with all sorts of 'errors'...but Studio should run AND show the content in the Content Library view.

Oh well, it doesn't matter because I couldn't delete it anyway.

I THOUGHT this was going to be fun.

I bought the new tower JUST to run Daz 4.9

Is there a way to load the software WITHOUT CMS, which I have no intention of using anyway?

edited September 2017

OKAY!!! 

THIS DID the TRICK!!!!

FOR The NEXT Lad who has this problem...

1. I went into Program Files and deleted the DazStudio 4 folder (which had a folder marked cms inside of it)

2. I went into Windows Task Manager and "End Process" a file marked PostGre something or other

3. I loaded a file marked DazPostGreSQLCMS_9.3.4

4. Then I installed Daz 4.9

I'm going to quit while I'm ahead tonight.

Thanks Mjc1016. If you hadn't come along and stuck with me, I would have given up and not gone any further.

Post edited by tsarist on
  • PostgreSQL should not be running while DS and Install Maanger are closed.

• nicsttnicstt Posts: 11,715

You could try using DIM; Daz Install Manager is available for Daz's website, although I would sort out your issue.

nicstt said:

You could try using DIM; Daz Install Manager is available for Daz's website, although I would sort out your issue.

Thanks Nicstt

My computer is airlocked, so I can't use dim even if I wanted to.

MAYBE I NEED TO ASK A BETTER QUESTION

EXACTLY WHERE IS THE RUNTIME FOLDER SUPPOSED TO GO.

I'm still not able to post pics, but I REALLY want to add Genesis to my workflow!

Where is the Runtime folder supposed to go???

Let's say I have a folder...

Content/Runtime

WHERE does this go??

How to make sure Daz actually finds it????

• The Runtime, Data and any foldrs at the same level of the zip go - using the default diectories - in the My Daz 3D Library in Public Documents or the \Daz 3D\Studio\My Library folder in your own Documents folder.

The Runtime, Data and any foldrs at the same level of the zip go - using the default diectories - in the My Daz 3D Library in Public Documents or the \Daz 3D\Studio\My Library folder in your own Documents folder.

Okay, just so I understand, the protocol is supposed to be...

Documents/Daz 3D/Studio/My Library/Content/Runtime

is this correct?

• BeeMKayBeeMKay Posts: 7,003
    edited September 2017

Yes, that is the default location.

Though you can have your content in a different location, too. Here's how it looks in mine. I have several folders that contain a runtime directory, but I've set up DIM to install in the first location on G drive.

Content Directories.JPG
    1394 x 868 - 174K
    Post edited by BeeMKay on
  • Kevin SandersonKevin Sanderson Posts: 1,643
    edited September 2017

In my Windows 7 install, I did not muck with anything when I installed it ages ago so the default in DAZ Install Manager is 
    C:/Users/Public/Documents/DAZ 3D/InstallManager/Downloads

When you are looking for the installed items, you will find the folders under Users/Public/Public Documents/My DAZ 3D Library.

Windows My DAZ 3D Library.jpg
    1207 x 721 - 187K
    Post edited by Kevin Sanderson on
    tsarist said:

The Runtime, Data and any foldrs at the same level of the zip go - using the default diectories - in the My Daz 3D Library in Public Documents or the \Daz 3D\Studio\My Library folder in your own Documents folder.

is this correct?

Actually...no it isn't.

The folder 'Content' is NOT needed!  Everything IN that folder goes in "Documents/Daz 3D/Studio/My Library/".  Content is the 'generic' folder, as nobody is 100% sure what naming structure any one person is using (My Library, My Daz 3D Library, Fred or something else).

By including the 'Content' folder you will end up with 'nested' folders and a lot of 'not found' content.

mjc1016 said:
    tsarist said:

is this correct?

Actually...no it isn't.

The folder 'Content' is NOT needed!  Everything IN that folder goes in "Documents/Daz 3D/Studio/My Library/".  Content is the 'generic' folder, as nobody is 100% sure what naming structure any one person is using (My Library, My Daz 3D Library, Fred or something else).

By including the 'Content' folder you will end up with 'nested' folders and a lot of 'not found' content.

Damn MJ are you psychic?

I was about to shoot my PC, then read your post.

I had all kinds of missing files that weren't missing!

Thanks

• jestmartjestmart Posts: 4,449

DAZ's zips are intended for use in DIM.  The actual content files are inside the "Content" folder and file outside of it are instructional file for DIM.  Dim will strip out the "Content" folder when it installs.

• BeeMKayBeeMKay Posts: 7,003

...and there's one reason why one should take more time reading carefully...

Sorry Tsarist, for leading you in the wrong direction! I totally missed the "content" in there. Fortunately, mjc spotted it. 

Thanks BeeMKay, Kevin S, MJC1016, FixPCMike, and EVERYONE who came to the rescue!

I can finally find my damned content.

I have NEW problems

BUT I CAN find my content!

Absolutely ZERO kudos to DAZ for turning software that was intuitive and easy into a confused MESS!!

• jestmartjestmart Posts: 4,449

Nothing has changed from early versions as to how content library or libraries work or are mapped.