Distributing Content Created Within Daz3D

Lately, I have begun working within Daz Studio to model some of my own props, applying textures that I made to them, and testing lighting effects with them, etc. I am curious as to whether or not I am allowed to distribute props made via the built-in object creation system in Daz, and if so, under what terms I am allowed to do so (specifically, I want to know if I am allowed to share something I made as a freebie/commercial product on Daz/other sites).

Comments

• What do you mean by the "built-in object creation system"? Textures and geometries you create yourself, in external applications, and have the rights to can certainly be used to create* content you are free to distribute.

* import rig if it's a figure, apply materials, save as an asset

• I have made all the textures myself; but Daz Studio has a means to create objects within the program itself by building things using "primitives". I wanted to know if I could export objects created using that system and share them, both here and elsewhere, and if so, in what ways I was allowed to share them.

• if you build with primitives within Daz that's the same as building within anyother 3d program... 
    I'm sure Daz will tell you that they have no claim on a cube primitive 
    I hope not because I have a lot of stuff that I've been building in daz and I'm working to get set up for sales.
    ---
    this picture I built all the buildings across the back and the lampposts in daz 
    (yes,they're the bottoms of the buildings Edward Hopper painting in his view from williamsburg bridge.

truck and train 2 hr 01w.jpg
    2000 x 1000 - 1M
  • InkuboInkubo Posts: 744

Richard, what does this mean? It sounds like you're saying we're free to build upon the skeleton or maybe even the mesh provided by the base character. Is that really the case? If so, how can we know which parts of the "essentials" items we can freely include in commercial products versus those we cannot?

I played around with creating a body suit in Blender by exporting a base character as an OBJ to blender, then cutting off the unwanted head and limbs, then scaling it up a bit and running Solidify to get cuffs and a neck hole. But I assumed I could never distribute the final result because it was all based on DAZ's vertices. Was I right or wrong?

• jestmartjestmart Posts: 4,449

In Studio like in almost all modeling programs the primitives are generated mathematically so you are fine to use them.  In programs like Poser where the primitives are models included usage rights may be limited.

• Inkubo said:

Richard, what does this mean? It sounds like you're saying we're free to build upon the skeleton or maybe even the mesh provided by the base character. Is that really the case? If so, how can we know which parts of the "essentials" items we can freely include in commercial products versus those we cannot?

I played around with creating a body suit in Blender by exporting a base character as an OBJ to blender, then cutting off the unwanted head and limbs, then scaling it up a bit and running Solidify to get cuffs and a neck hole. But I assumed I could never distribute the final result because it was all based on DAZ's vertices. Was I right or wrong?

No, if you made your own mesh then you can import it, rig it yourself (not copying from an existing figure, unless it's one you had previously rigged, apply your own materials (or merchant resource materials used according to their license0, and save as asset.

No, if you made your own mesh then you can import it, rig it yourself (not copying from an existing figure, unless it's one you had previously rigged, apply your own materials (or merchant resource materials used according to their license0, and save as asset.

Sounds like you're saying I was right the first time: I cannot distribute something made by copying any part of DAZ's body meshes.

So when people make G3 or G8 characters, they aren't distributing the mesh or skeleton, just morphs and stuff to modify the ones provided by DAZ. Is that correct?

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    Inkubo said:

Sounds like you're saying I was right the first time: I cannot distribute something made by copying any part of DAZ's body meshes.

So when people make G3 or G8 characters, they aren't distributing the mesh or skeleton, just morphs and stuff to modify the ones provided by DAZ. Is that correct?

Correct on both.

• Inkubo said:

Yes, essentially. You can use the skeleton and projected rigging from a base figure to make add-ons (clothes or hair, for example) and you can use the projected morphs from the base as a starting point for morphs in the add-on, but you can't use any elements of a base figure to make a stand-alone figure nor can you use rigging from hair or clothing to make your own hair or clothing.

Thanks, all! The "import rig" statement confused me about what the rules were, and I just needed a bit of clarification. smiley

• well for what its worth worth

and not really answering the question 

the Poser primitives do after a dialogue about missing objects, get replaced with DAZ studio primitives if absent in an imported pz3 Poser scene.

So yes DAZ studio generates them they are not actual preexisting mesh objects and have parameters for generation like a modeling program, since the ability to create them exists without having any starter essentials or DAZ content installed they could not really  fall under the non DAZ 3D mesh redistribution licensing.

I still would contact DAZ first though to be safe or simply create my primitives in Blender which has an awesome array of them, you need not know much about Blender to create and export them either.

• I really want to actually start modeling in Blender; I love the versatility and the power of it, but I keep running into stumbling blocks with the controls and the user interface. It seems like an INCREDIBLY powerful program (and free, no less), but at the moment, even when I manage to get things right, it seems like it is more by accident than by intent.