Object Export-Import

A little background. I am currently working on a scene that is a little more complicated than any of the scenes that I have tried building before. I realized that I needed a prop for it that I didn't have the means to build quickly and easily in-scene, because of all the other visual distractions. So I went to build it in another scene. It is now complete, and I want to export it and then import it into my original scene so I can place it, then finally render the original scene. 

However, I am clearly missing something. I first tried exporting it, converting it (since the export pop-up option FORCES a conversion) to it's original format (Daz Studio), since this is what I was working with on both ends. I then tried importing it to the new scene. It shows up in the object list, but does not appear in my scene visibly (I tried panning around, zooming out, and moving the "sword" object I had imported, all to no avail; despite being there, it is not there. I next went back to the scene where I had saved the sword I made, and tried clicking on the hilt to select it (the hilt is the parent for all other portions of the sword, so that as the hilt moves in a scene, so shall the whole sword move), exported and then imported again. Same problem. What am I doing wrong, and more to the point, how do I do it right? Thanks in advance for any help with this issue!

Comments

• jaxprogjaxprog Posts: 312

I hope I am understanding you correctly. If you created an object using a scene or in a scene and now desire to combine this object scene with actual project scene then you can Merge them.

In File menu there is Merge. Its no different than the Open except that Merge opens the a scene by combining with an existing open scene.

• Awesome! That sounds like it will probably do it, at least as far as this issue is concerned. I will give it a try and then report back.

• Well, it worked and it didn't. It merged in just fine, but now some of the object properties appear to be broken. Specifically, I had merged all of the prims I used to make the sword into one object group, called "Sword", in the scene in which I built it. But now, in the merged scene, it is treating all of these prims as individual objects again. When I go to the parenting menu on each of them, it gives the "Sword" group as one of the parenting options, but in the param tab when I try to select things to work with the "Sword" group AS A GROUP, they are all just individual prims; the group doesn't appear as a selectable option. Thoughts?

• You could try to go back to your original scene & save the Sword group as a Scene Subset - Just choose the group and sword parts for the save - Then load the scene subset into your main file ( I think this preserves groups)

Alternatively you could export the sword as an OBJ file and use that in your main scene but then it would all be one piece so you could not change things like you can with a group

• I did indeed try exporting it and then importing it as an obj file (that was my original tactic), but it didn't seem to actually work; I am not sure what I did wrong. I must have done something wrong in terms of the selection. I will figure it out; I am super excited by all of the possibilities here, and working hard to figure out what I can do with different things. I am especially interested in making my own props (with the bundle of morphs I have for M4 and V4, I am so totally set on characters for a while), so learning how to properly get objects I have made out of one file and into the other properly is going to be critical for a lot of my projects.