Is Daz Victoria 7 or genesis free?

And does the latest genesis or v7 enhance or is compatible with characters like v4 erika? Thanks

Comments

• The Genesis base figures are free, the named characters like Victoria are not free. The Genesis figures are distinct from the older figures, such as Victoria 4, though maps for Victoria 4 will work on the original Geensis (and on later Genesis figures with purchased add-ons). Morphs can be converted using the Transfer utility in Daz Studio or (up to Genesis 3) the GenX2 plug-in.

• The Genesis base figures are free, the named characters like Victoria are not free. The Genesis figures are distinct from the older figures, such as Victoria 4, though maps for Victoria 4 will work on the original Geensis (and on later Genesis figures with purchased add-ons). Morphs can be converted using the Transfer utility in Daz Studio or (up to Genesis 3) the GenX2 plug-in.

I don't understand. I thought Victoria was just an older version of genesis. Does putting erika for v4 on a genesis model look better than on a v4 if I decided to convert morphs?
  • mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    edited September 2017
    Verinince said:

The Genesis base figures are free, the named characters like Victoria are not free. The Genesis figures are distinct from the older figures, such as Victoria 4, though maps for Victoria 4 will work on the original Geensis (and on later Genesis figures with purchased add-ons). Morphs can be converted using the Transfer utility in Daz Studio or (up to Genesis 3) the GenX2 plug-in.

I don't understand. I thought Victoria was just an older version of genesis. Does putting erika for v4 on a genesis model look better than on a v4 if I decided to convert morphs?

Not usually.

V4 is much older and before Genesis.  Genesis was a totally new figure.  The original (Genesis) was androgenous and morphed male/female (Michael 5/Victoria 5).  Genesis 2 re-established split gender meshes and Victoria 6 is on the Genesis 2 Female and Michael 6 is on Genesis 2 Male.  The same with Genesis 3 and V7/M7.  Now, the current series Genesis 8 (why does everybody think this whole renumber the sequence thing really works?) with Victoria 8 and Michael 8...

Converting morphs, because that's all the Victoria series is, since Genesis, between generations may, but very seldom does, improve them over the original...most of the time they'll look pretty much the same or, sometimes, not quite as good.

+++

It's been pointed out that I wasn't very clear in my first paragraph...

So using your Erika for V4 as an example, there probably won't be any improvement converting it to Genesis.

Post edited by mjc1016 on
  • LeanaLeana Posts: 11,191
    edited September 2017
    Verinince said:

The Genesis base figures are free, the named characters like Victoria are not free. The Genesis figures are distinct from the older figures, such as Victoria 4, though maps for Victoria 4 will work on the original Geensis (and on later Genesis figures with purchased add-ons). Morphs can be converted using the Transfer utility in Daz Studio or (up to Genesis 3) the GenX2 plug-in.

Victoria 1 to 4 were figures available before Genesis.

When Genesis 1 was released DAZ also provided a "base named character" for Genesis called Victoria 5. "Base characters" for Genesis figures are basically what Aiko 4 or Girl 4 were for Victoria 4.

They've done the same for all Genesis bases, there's the Genesis figure itself, and then a "base character" called Victoria: G1 has V5, G2F has V6, G3F has V7 and G8F has V8.

If you convert a character made for V4 to use it on a Genesis figure it should benefit from the various enhancements in bending / expressions / ... of that figure (and autofit abilities for clothes), but the character itself would basically look the same.

Post edited by Leana on
  • mjc1016 said:
    Verinince said:

Not usually.

V4 is much older and before Genesis.  Genesis was a totally new figure.  The original (Genesis) was androgenous and morphed male/female (Michael 5/Victoria 5).  Genesis 2 re-established split gender meshes and Victoria 6 is on the Genesis 2 Female and Michael 6 is on Genesis 2 Male.  The same with Genesis 3 and V7/M7.  Now, the current series Genesis 8 (why does everybody think this whole renumber the sequence thing really works?) with Victoria 8 and Michael 8...

Converting morphs, because that's all the Victoria series is, since Genesis, between generations may, but very seldom does, improve them over the original...most of the time they'll look pretty much the same or, sometimes, not quite as good.

Great informative response. I use daz to create base meshes for zbrush since it saves a oitnof time. Is genesis more accurate or customizable compared to v4 or something? Does daz studio offer an automatic install of v4 and genesis and morph ++?
  • BeeMKayBeeMKay Posts: 7,002

You might find these interesting:

You're creating base meshes in Studio? I wasn't aware it could do that it's not a modelling software...

As to your question, Genesis 1, 2, 3 and 8 come as starter essentials with DAZ studio, though of course you need to install them.

Genesis 1 has both male, female and child morph included, and is pretty versatile. G2, 3 and 8 need additional morphs and have the gender split again. I'd suggest you simply download the G essentials and see for yourself, and find out what suits your purposes best.