What's the Difference Between iRay textures/shaders and 3Delight?

A lot of products I just don't buy because they seem to be geared toward iRay.  What EXACTLY is the difference between the actual iRay textures/shaders and the 3Delight?  95% of the materials I have are 3Delight or Poser.  What do I have to do - what adustments do I have to make - to make them work with iRay?

Thanks!

Comments

• HavosHavos Posts: 5,332
    Fauvist said:

A lot of products I just don't buy because they seem to be geared toward iRay.  What EXACTLY is the difference between the actual iRay textures/shaders and the 3Delight?  95% of the materials I have are 3Delight or Poser.  What do I have to do - what adustments do I have to make - to make them work with iRay?

Thanks!

A fair number of products, particular those that use a lot of texture maps, DS will automatically convert them from Poser/3DL shaders to Iray ones when you press the render button. However certain surfaces will need adjusting (eg change glossiness), and things like liquid, glass, and metal will look much better with a proper Iray shader applied instead.

• Another problem to be aware of is that adjustments in 3Delight going through the auto-conversion process don't correspond to similar changes in Iray (quite apart from material parameters that only exist in Iray). It's always best to run all 3Delight materials through the Iray Uber shader converter that comes as part of the free content. That at least gives you a consistent base for changes to parameters corresponding to what you see in the render.

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,745
    edited September 2017
    ...make sure though for cloth, grass, leaves. Hair, skin, and other non glossy items to change the lighting model to "Matte" (in the case of skin to the "Skin" lighting model) before converting.
    Post edited by kyoto kid on
  • FauvistFauvist Posts: 2,044

Another problem to be aware of is that adjustments in 3Delight going through the auto-conversion process don't correspond to similar changes in Iray (quite apart from material parameters that only exist in Iray). It's always best to run all 3Delight materials through the Iray Uber shader converter that comes as part of the free content. That at least gives you a consistent base for changes to parameters corresponding to what you see in the render.

I didn't know there was a free Uber shader converter.  Where is it?  Or, how do you access it?  Are there instructions somewhere for it?

Thanks!

• nemesis10nemesis10 Posts: 3,297
    Fauvist said:

Another problem to be aware of is that adjustments in 3Delight going through the auto-conversion process don't correspond to similar changes in Iray (quite apart from material parameters that only exist in Iray). It's always best to run all 3Delight materials through the Iray Uber shader converter that comes as part of the free content. That at least gives you a consistent base for changes to parameters corresponding to what you see in the render.

I didn't know there was a free Uber shader converter.  Where is it?  Or, how do you access it?  Are there instructions somewhere for it?

Thanks!

Daz Studio > Materials > Default Resources > Shaders > !Iray Uber Base