Enabling SSS on teeth, issues

If I enable SSS on teeth as is the option on some characters they never render correctly, the length of the render doubles but all I get is very grainy ugly and almost transparent teeth. It's the only thing that changes between renders. I'm running Windows 10 64bit on i7 4770k with 32gb ram and 1080ti, with latest Daz in 64bit although this has been an issue for a while Any one have any ideas?

Comments

• There's probably not much light getting into the mouth. Without SSS that's not too bad, but with SSS added the diffrences between areas that have been sampled often and those that haven't are much more apparent (as noise). I would not use SSS on the teeth unless the mouth is well lit, or unless the effect is important (when you could try adding more light and drakening in Tone Mapping).

• Thanks, think I need to read up more on iray and SSS in particular. Would SSS direction have any positive effect in this situation?
  • Oso3DOso3D Posts: 14,914

Honestly, SSS is overkill in most regular situations.

• I'm not sure, it might  but not a lot - and of course too many chnages would break the look, assuming it's a good tooth material generally.