Import iClone Poses / Animations to Daz Genesis 3

Is there any way to import iclone poses or animations to genesis 3 characters in daz?

What i managed to do so far is to export a G3 character as fbx, import it into 3dexchange and then into iclone, animate / pose it in iclone, export it back to to 3dexchange and then export it from 3dexchange. But when i import it into daz studio, no matter if i use bvh or fbx, the animation / pose is not there (for fbx it's just a basic tpose and for bvh is something totally different from what i have in the file - and the bvh file itself is fine, i checked it with a bvh viewer).

So what is the proper way to import poses / animations to Genesis3?

Comments

• not terribly easy, I think there is a way via FBX that involves editing some parameters but I have had no success.

The best option is to use Genesis 2 then convert it with one of the various scripts, I use the one in the DAZ store by Draagonstorm that uses Genesis2Female

• wolf359wolf359 Posts: 3,792

"So what is the proper way to import poses / animations to Genesis3?"

Hi

for genesis3 BVH imported from any source (mobu ,Iclone )
    will not apply properly.
    This is because the BVH importer in Daz studio does not recognize
    the extra bone in the G3 rigging.
    They say a fix is upcoming so be patient.

For FBX I have no insights to  offer but  user @Bryan Steagall
    has a method for importing FBX from motionbuilder to DS.

• th3Digit said:

not terribly easy, I think there is a way via FBX that involves editing some parameters but I have had no success.

The best option is to use Genesis 2 then convert it with one of the various scripts, I use the one in the DAZ store by Draagonstorm that uses Genesis2Female

if i import the animation / pose to a genesis 2 character, it looks 90% similar to the genesis 3 version - still messed up... how can i do this properly?

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,952
    edited September 2017
    rickdarby said:
    th3Digit said:

not terribly easy, I think there is a way via FBX that involves editing some parameters but I have had no success.

if i import the animation / pose to a genesis 2 character, it looks 90% similar to the genesis 3 version - still messed up... how can i do this properly?

you need to export hip not rootnode from 3Dxchange and on import tick all the corresponding bones under advanced, I myself actually use M4 or genesis as often it also needs a rotation fix as well it depends on the iMotion and its pivot it can sometimes be fixed deleting all the hip keyframes but often that can also result in strange swinging from the hips, its really a trial and error thing I find as no two motions are the same.

edit

I just tested one on G2M using the included imotions from iClone exported selecting hip in 3Dxchange and disabling rotation in place mode limits on in DAZ studio and it imported perfectly.

Make sure you use the same base figure preferably  no extra bones from clothes handles in both programs 

Post edited by WendyLuvsCatz on
  • i did export to hip and not the rootnode.

th3Digit said:

Make sure you use the same base figure preferably  no extra bones from clothes handles in both programs

you mean i have to use g2 in daz, export it to 3dxchange/iclone - animate there and then back to 3dexchange and export the bvh, then back in daz use a gen2 character to import the bvh and then retrace it to gen3? and only then load the gen3 and apply the animation / pose?

• well use G2M in 3DX to produce the BVH for G2M in DAZ studio

to get to genesis 3 you need something like the Draagonstorm product I use

https://www.daz3d.com/animation-conversion-genesis-2-to-genesis-3

or a script by Zaz 777 which I have not tried 

https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/109961/pose-and-animation-conversion-for-multiple-generations-of-daz-figures

• wolf359wolf359 Posts: 3,792

I personaly find the Script by Zaz777 to be superior to the paid one by the late Draagonstorm but YMMV.

• mindsongmindsong Posts: 1,701
    wolf359 said:

I personaly find the Script by Zaz777 to be superior to the paid one by the late Draagonstorm but YMMV.

FWIW, the mentioned zaz777 script is a freebie and can be found over int he DAZ freebies forum. It's gotten great reviews.

cheers,

--ms