iRay on MacBook Pro - nVidia geForce 750M - only shows CPU mode

I'm trying to use iRay on my Mac, and it seems to take 5-10 minutes even to render just a basic table prop all alone in a scene.

Looking at the Hardware options I see it only shows the CPU.

How do I get this to use my GPU?

Screen Shot 2017-09-16 at 4.40.29 PM.png
2880 x 1800 - 1M

Comments

• arcadyarcady Posts: 340
    edited September 2017

To answer my own question...

The sort of thing that needs to be in the docs page on Daz Studio under rendering, which by the way is so out of date it doesn't even mention iRay...

I had to get some additional software from nVidia

And nVidia's driver search page... does NOT list Mac, but if you know the secret URLs you can get the mac drivers... so... yeah...

Here:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/312525-nvidia-web-driver-updates-for-macos-sierra-update-07212017/

- Find the web driver there...

And you need CUDA: http://www.nvidia.com/object/macosx-cuda-8.0.90-driver.html

- But that's just the current one. Use google to find the newest one...

At least once it's installed the thing has it's own tool to check for updates... but it's pretty clear nVidia is not 'friendly' to supporting Mac... They even have freeBSD listed on their list of driver OSs, but not Mac... so this isn't about 'what OS is most popular'... nVidia is just trying to purposefully thumb their noses at Mac people while I guess... living up to some contract their lawyers told them hasn't expired yet... or whatever...

Post edited by arcady on
  • TotteTotte Posts: 13,868

What is the VRAM? Iray demands a minimum of 2GB ? I run a 750Ti in a MacPro with no problems. Drivers are at nVidia (Gforce 680 Mac is the one you use´)

• The CUDA drivers have always been an optional extra download for Macs, and NVidia cards can't be used for Iray rendering without them. I've never understood why.