Seeking assistance on Iray Ghost Light Kit

Does anybody out there know how to use the Iray Ghost Light Kit, by Kindred Arts?  I have found absolutely zero documentation on it, except for the product ReadMe -- which is singularly useless.

Any help would be deeply appreciated....

Comments

• I can help. Are you stuck on something specific, or do you need a run down of how to use the kit? I made a quick video of how i set up and use ghost lights here, but it is a bit quick. Let me know what you need, and i'll run through it with you.

• I'll write up a quick tutorial in case im away when you reply.

1. Load a ghost light into the scene by double clicking either the horizontal or vertical ghost light icons in the base folder. The difference between horizontal and vertical ghost lights are simply the orientation they load in with, nothing more.

2. Place your light as you would any other mesh light. I like to use mine to boost light from windows for example, but people use them in all sorts of ways. Just make sure the arrow of the ghost light is pointed in the direction you want the light emission to go.

3. Once your light is where you want it to be, and it's pointed in the right direction, apply the Ghost Setup material. This will apply the base transparency and emission settings in order to make the ghost light function.

4. Your light should be working now, but you can further modify the light by using the variety of presets provided in the three folders. Time of day and Artificial light presets dictate the color of the light, whereas the intensity presets dictate brightness. You can play with these settings interactively by choosing "NVIDIA Iray" from the viewport render mode drop-down menu in the top right hand corner of your viewport.

5. That's about it, you should have a working light source now. If you need to see the ghost light again for any reason, you can apply the Debugmat material in the base folder.

I hope this helps, let me know if you need any further assistance.

• Thank you for the quick reply.

The icons in the Light Presets folder were a bit counter-intuitive, with respect to the precise order in which the actions should be performed; that was where my confusion came from.  And evidently, 'horizontal' and 'vertical' refer to the orientation of the mesh, as opposed to the direction of the light.  Got it.

Basically, what I want to do is to add a bit of "ambient" lighting to my scene.  It's an indoor scene, and the HDRI (one of Orestes' Dreadful Clouds) simply isn't doing the job.  (The sky through the windows looks absolutely great, though!)  I'm shooting for a rather dim, somber atmosphere, but with enough light to distinguish colors.  So relatively low intensity, and overcast, appears to be what is called for.

I have copied and pasted your instructions into my 'tips and cheats' documentation folder, so I can have it for future reference

Again, thank you for your help.  I'll let you know how it all works out...!  (It's an RRRR entry, so it will eventually turn up there!)

• Thank you for the quick reply.

The icons in the Light Presets folder were a bit counter-intuitive, with respect to the precise order in which the actions should be performed; that was where my confusion came from.  And evidently, 'horizontal' and 'vertical' refer to the orientation of the mesh, as opposed to the direction of the light.  Got it.

Basically, what I want to do is to add a bit of "ambient" lighting to my scene.  It's an indoor scene, and the HDRI (one of Orestes' Dreadful Clouds) simply isn't doing the job.  (The sky through the windows looks absolutely great, though!)  I'm shooting for a rather dim, somber atmosphere, but with enough light to distinguish colors.  So relatively low intensity, and overcast, appears to be what is called for.

I have copied and pasted your instructions into my 'tips and cheats' documentation folder, so I can have it for future reference

Again, thank you for your help.  I'll let you know how it all works out...!  (It's an RRRR entry, so it will eventually turn up there!)

No problem Ken. Most people use the ghost lights for interior ambience, and that's what they were made for, so you should be fine. Have a look at that video i linked when you get the chance, i'm essentially doing what you want to do throughout the clip. Again, if you get stuck just post in here again and i'll pick it up. Good luck!