3DL vs. Iray Render question

DDCreateDDCreate Posts: 1,388
edited November 2017 in New Users

99.9% of the time I do my renders in Iray but it occured to me yesterday that 3DL might be a good option to sort of keep in my bag of tricks for some pictures. So I decided to give it a try. I did a VERY simple picture. In fact, it was only 2 characters with no background. I loaded the characters, hair and clothing. Posed them and hit render. That's it. No other tricks, props or add ons. I made sure that I wasn't applying any Iray skin. I made sure to stay away from anything saying "Iray." I left to go live my life and when I came back 3+hrs later it was STILL rendering! I was shocked. In the past, I found that 3DL seemed to render faster. Does anyone know what would make such a basic picture take so long to render? I think there are some concepts I'm missing about 3DL vs. Iray.

EDIT* I have a 960 GPU and it renders full Iray scenes with 2+ characters in 45-1.5 hours.

Post edited by DDCreate on

Comments

• BeeMKayBeeMKay Posts: 7,018

What render settings are you using for 3Delight? There are different settings that can slow your renders to a crawl., but also certain material settings that have the same effect.

Also, did your scene include any lights? If yes, which ones?

If you try to render just the naked person, do you get the same slow performance?

• DDCreateDDCreate Posts: 1,388

No lights, no one was naked and the render settings were just the standard ones. 1.0 Quality, 7200 max iteration, that sort of stuff. I was just trying to re-aquaint myself with what 3Delight looked like when rendered.

• SixDsSixDs Posts: 2,384

"1.0 Quality, 7200 max iteration"

Those are Iray render settings, so you are obviously doing something wrong. Could you show us a screen capture of your render settings dialogue?

• BeeMKayBeeMKay Posts: 7,018
    edited November 2017

SixDs' correct. 3Delight has different parameters altogether in the rendering tab. Make sure you select 3Delight as the render engine. The default values usually are pretty fast, i.e. when you have no light source in the scene.

Also, make sure that "Progressive" is set to "OFF", as otherwise it will render to eternity (or until your PC blows up, whatever comes first wink)

3delightset.JPG
    403 x 356 - 25K
    Post edited by BeeMKay on
  • DDCreateDDCreate Posts: 1,388

I'll check. The setting I mentioned are the only ones I ever really mess with and those are their default settings. I did have 3Delight selected as the engine though. I'll check that progressive setting though. If it's off, I'll do a snap shot of my settings box. Thank you for your comments thus far.